“Clean and comfortable but austere”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Albuquerque - Journal Center
Ranked #53 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Leawood, Kansas
“Clean and comfortable but austere”
Reviewed 18 December 2011

I'm a frequent guest at Hilton hotels including the Homewood Suites. As part of a long term business trip, I have been staying at the Homewood Suites in Albuquerque Journal Center for the past week. The property is clean and looks like it was recently renovated. It is laid out very different than other Homewood Suites that I have used. The rooms seem smaller and more cramped. The rooms and the lobby areas are dark. The breakfasts are good but the evening meals are not worth waiting for. Most of all, this hotel is poorly situation. There is absolutely nothing nearby.

So I will rank this hotel as average. Clean, affordable and comfortable. The people who run the hotel are friendly.

I will be moving to another hotel, quite likely the Hilton Garden Inn next door.

Room Tip: Take a deluxe room which are a little larger than the standard rooms. You'll need the space if t...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Olympia, WA
Reviewed 24 November 2011

Stayed 6 nights and was happy with the bed, bath, kitchen, etc. Could be a bit bigger rooms like at the Uptown location. Breakfast was good, and the weekday dinner, while pretty mediocre, kept me from having to go out every night. Service was good, housekeeping outstanding.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Yakama
San Diego, California
Reviewed 12 October 2011

This is a great hotel! We stayed the weekend of the Albuquerque Balloon Festival in October. The location is right off Interstate 25, easy to find. The rooms are smaller compared to other Homewood Suites because it was previously some other hotel chain.

Rooms are clean, staff very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was hot and tasty. They recommended a great Italian restaurant not far from the hotel- Trombino's. The manager Gabe Ruiz was very helpful with a confusing reservation cancellation. Thanks Gabe! They also gave us a ride to the bus "park and ride" for easy access to the Balloon Festival, along with a breakfast bag for the early departure.

I would not hesitate to stay here again. The staff makes this hotel a wonderful choice for Albuquerque.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 July 2011

Breakfast was inedible. Undercooked sausage, watery micro eggs. Desk chair heavily stained. AC on and off every few minutes and very loud. Got a call from front desk while sleeping informing me here had been complaints about noise in my room. I wasn't even snoring. Desk needed to check the facts before waking a guest.

• Stayed July 2011
gabe_ruiz, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Albuquerque - Journal Center, responded to this review, 22 July 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a response. We are sorry you did not experience the quality of breakfast and service that you deserve. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at Homewood Suites. We review all comments daily with the staff to help us improve to achieve the level of service our guests deserve. We appreciate your feedback and offer our sincerest apologies.
Panhandle, Texas
Reviewed 16 April 2011

The rooms at this hotel are larger than what I'm used to when traveling. I had a kitchen, small couch, desk, and king size bed. The breakfast served was outstanding. Full hot breakfast everyday. My favorite was the applewood smoked and peppered bacon. The only complaint I had was that the air conditioning didn't seem to work in my room. I checked out the next day and didn't give the hotel a chance to fix it.

The hotel serves a full dinner in the evening although I didn't take advantage of it.

I actually did a load of laundry in the pay washer/dryer while I was there.

Room Tip: Stay on the north end, close to the stairs.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 April 2011

I stayed 6 nights for a business trip. The hotel is located just off the highway and once you figure out the streets everything is with 15 minutes. Had to drive to Kirtland AFB and it was a 15 minute drive to the Wyoming gate using the local roads. The breakfast is nothing to talk about but the evening snacks can be enough for dinner if you are on a tight budget. I would definitely stay here again if I'm back in town.

• Stayed April 2011
Ocean Isle Beach, North Carolina
Reviewed 20 October 2010

I was hesitant to stay here after reading some of the reviews. However, I don't know what caused those poor reviews, but my stay there was absolutely fantastic. The place was clean and inviting. The rooms were very nice and clean. The room had two TV's and a separate living room/work area and bedroom. The kitchen facility was adequate, although we didn't use it much. Shower/bathroom was excellent also. Front desk staff couldn't have been nicer and more helpful. The ladies who took care of the evening meals four nights a week and breakfast everyday were excellent. The food served was also very good. In speaking with the manager, he told me that new TV's and new carpeting was scheduled also. Those things would make the place even better than it already is. Want to know what my major complaint was - no sleep timer on the TV. So if that was my biggest problem, you can see how hard I had to search for something bad to say. I'd stay there again in a second!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple