“Older hotel but a great bargain”

Econo Lodge Albuquerque
Econo Lodge Albuquerque
Ranked #89 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Older hotel but a great bargain”
Reviewed 29 December 2012

I really was excited to try this hotel after reading the spectacular reviews on TripAdvisor. Unfortunately, it didn't live up to the hype, at least for us. The front desk person was great; very friendly and helpful and cheerful. The room was really inexpensive; $60 for a "suite", which was really just a regular room but a little longer with a couch. The bathroom area had a sink out in the room which is always nice if there's more than one person sharing the room. The sink faucet must have been pretty plugged with hard water minerals as it sprayed out to the sides in addition to down into the sink, creating a bit of a mess. The shower seemed to work well enough and the towels were pretty nice for this price. The room had a powerful (and I mean powerful!) perfume smell like someone accidentally used way too much in the carpet or something; it was really strong; too strong actually. I rarely nit-pick housekeepers because I know what a hard job it is to do that job over and over and over and over again. But, the first thing I noticed when I turned on the light by the bed was a peanut on the floor in-between the night stand and the bed. I took it as a good sign that there weren't any critters in the room, which for me is much more important than someone not seeing that peanut when they were vacuuming.

The door to our room was a bit of a problem. We were barely able to shut the door! The door latch wouldn't retract back into the door when we tried to shut the door; it just slammed against the door frame like the dead bolt was sticking out or something. I had to push on the latch and try to hurry up and close the door before it popped out again. I think it may have just needed some lubrication or something.

Unfortunately, two of my three hotel-cardinal-sins reared their ugly head here. Rule #1 is not to be able to hear adjacent room sounds, and we could hear the folks in the room next to us. The heating / ac unit is pretty loud, but when it turned off we could pretty plainly hear the folks in the room next to us. I'd rather have the room be a little narrower and have them add another wall to each side than to be able to hear the neighbors! Rule #2 is to have a usable, simple TV remote. This one was just far too complicated with a separate box for direct tv and a remote with a tv button and an "all-on", or something like that, button, a power button, a tv button, etc. There were too many power/on/tv buttons and none of them seemed to work. It took 10-15 minutes to finally get the TV to come on while pressing any and all combinations of the power and on buttons. And then when we left to eat and came back to the room, we never could figure out the combination of buttons again. That shouldn't happen. (my 3rd cardinal sin for hotels is to have loud door slamming sounds. That didn't happen here at all, maybe because this is an outside door type of hotel where all of the doors open to the outside instead of to an interior corridor.)

We had to leave before the breakfast was set up and I was really hoping to try it after reading the great reviews. I grabbed a bowl of oatmeal for the road and we were on our way. I think this is a great hotel for folks that are really on a tight budget, but we most likely wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ScottyG777

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
dallas, tx
Reviewed 12 October 2012

Not a clean place. The sheets were gray/beige white sheets. The toilets didn't work. Cheap rates but you really don't even get what you pay for. Please make another choice when traveling through this beautiful town. We were on our way to the Grand Canyon and just wanted a clean, basic hotel room to get some rest and this was not it.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank lkscotti

Travellers are raving about these Albuquerque hotels

Reviewed 30 September 2012

I stayed in this hotel and not only was it extremely dirty, but i got Bed Bugs all over my upper body. I payed for five days and by the third day i noticed red bites all over my body. I left on the third day and the Owner. P Patel denied all accusations from me. Very sad experience. I would recommend to never ever stay here. I'ts very affordable and theres a reason for it.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank maherrpca
santa fe
Reviewed 29 September 2012

Stayed on friday on a business trip to ABQ and was greatly please with the accommodations and hosts. Continental Breakfast area was clean and inviting. I will come back to this place again in the near future.....

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Mount Juliet, Tennessee
Reviewed 14 December 2011

We asked for a room we could park directly in front of, but received a room where we hade to park 7 spaces away. Might not sound like much, but we are on the road and stay in hotels 200 - 250 days a year and this is big for us with all we carry. Also the internet in the room we received did not work 1/2 the time. Not a place we would stay again.

Room Tip: CHoose Holiday Inn Express just down the road.