“What a Dump”

Ranked #92 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Mountainair, New Mexico
“What a Dump”
Reviewed 7 October 2013

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in . No phone, no clocks, old TV's, and the security lock on my door was broken. At 8:30 PM a woman unlocked my door and walked in carrying a bundle of something. She saw me and screamed and left the room. The next morning I was checking out. The clerk told me the lady was delivering toiletries to the rooms. I am still scratching my head. I had to speak to her through a window in the wall as no one was allowed in the lobby before 6 AM even though there were so many people out that time of the morning getting ready for the balloon festival

The shower leaked and the entire floor was covered with water. This was not new as the bottoms of the wall were cracked and moldy. The toilet paper was set next to the toilet as there was no holder.

Smelly old green carpet and low 7 foot ceilings. If you think you might like to live in a cave, this is the place for you. Thoroughly disgusting...

Room Tip: Do not stay here
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Tustin, California
Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

The room was not horrible but it definitely wasn't good either. I liked the location and the guy at the front desk when we checked in was nice. The breakfast really sucked. Crappy bread slices, Danishes that were cut in half, etc. The location was good though, close to downtown and it was really cheap to stay here. You get what you pay for.

• Stayed September 2013
Reviewed 16 July 2013 via mobile

I've been staying at the econo lodge off Eubanks for many years. I've never had any issues here until this stay.

To start with the room was In Desperate need of a good floor shampooing. It is covered in black disgrace. Upon walking in the room, we were confronted with a full size sofa that was out of place, filled the room up and looked like it had spent the past month as the welcome center at the local dumpster for the homeless. And yes I did watch 2 assumed homeless fight next to the dumpster behind the motel.

Then I went for an extra 2 towels and that was an exercise. "I paid for 2 adults so I get 2 towels." This is a true statement by the front desk. Also I had to bring the 2 dirty towels down to the desk for my 2 new clean towels. I jumped through their hoops. But this is my last time here. The other hotels next door also offer truck parking.

So goodbye Econo Lodge of Eubanks in Albuquerque. I hope you fail as you deserve.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Ecmarshburn
Marana, Arizona
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We stayed one night at this Econo Lodge on 6-19-2013. It was very reasonable, $50.75 including tax. That said, the hotel is old, dirty and showing its age everywhere. Our room had wallpaper peeling off the wall, old and stained bathroom fixtures and frayed carpeting. Breakfast was terrible. There were only a couple of pieces of bread, some children's fruit loop-type of cereal and a waffle maker. The juice machine only churned out yellow water or orange juice--terrible. We had to eat out for our breakfast.

I honestly cannot recommend this hotel with all the hotels available in Albuquerque.

Room Tip: I would not choose this particular Econo Lodge--choose another one in Albuquerque.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Minters Chapel
Reviewed 14 June 2013

This motel is on the north side of I-40 headed east out of town amid several other hotels further off the road. I t was very convenient and inexpensive and we were able to park in front of the room (+). Room was clean and had good A/C, restaurants and liquor store within walking distance.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed 16 March 2013 via mobile

I needed a place that took dogs and I have stayed in the Econo Lodge in Gallup and had no problems with the room or grounds so I booked at this specific Econo location. The staff at check in was very friendly and helpful and the room itself was clean and neat for what I needed. On the other hand, the grounds in front of the room was gross. There was dog feces strung across the grass area so at night I was trying to dodge the droppings but the lighting wasn't great. I don't understand why they don't have a garbage can where you can dispose of feces and/or have maintenance keep care of the grounds. I understand that it is a 2 way street between the pet owner and motel but take pride in your location.

• Stayed March 2013
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 29 December 2012

I really was excited to try this hotel after reading the spectacular reviews on TripAdvisor. Unfortunately, it didn't live up to the hype, at least for us. The front desk person was great; very friendly and helpful and cheerful. The room was really inexpensive; $60 for a "suite", which was really just a regular room but a little longer with a couch. The bathroom area had a sink out in the room which is always nice if there's more than one person sharing the room. The sink faucet must have been pretty plugged with hard water minerals as it sprayed out to the sides in addition to down into the sink, creating a bit of a mess. The shower seemed to work well enough and the towels were pretty nice for this price. The room had a powerful (and I mean powerful!) perfume smell like someone accidentally used way too much in the carpet or something; it was really strong; too strong actually. I rarely nit-pick housekeepers because I know what a hard job it is to do that job over and over and over and over again. But, the first thing I noticed when I turned on the light by the bed was a peanut on the floor in-between the night stand and the bed. I took it as a good sign that there weren't any critters in the room, which for me is much more important than someone not seeing that peanut when they were vacuuming.

The door to our room was a bit of a problem. We were barely able to shut the door! The door latch wouldn't retract back into the door when we tried to shut the door; it just slammed against the door frame like the dead bolt was sticking out or something. I had to push on the latch and try to hurry up and close the door before it popped out again. I think it may have just needed some lubrication or something.

Unfortunately, two of my three hotel-cardinal-sins reared their ugly head here. Rule #1 is not to be able to hear adjacent room sounds, and we could hear the folks in the room next to us. The heating / ac unit is pretty loud, but when it turned off we could pretty plainly hear the folks in the room next to us. I'd rather have the room be a little narrower and have them add another wall to each side than to be able to hear the neighbors! Rule #2 is to have a usable, simple TV remote. This one was just far too complicated with a separate box for direct tv and a remote with a tv button and an "all-on", or something like that, button, a power button, a tv button, etc. There were too many power/on/tv buttons and none of them seemed to work. It took 10-15 minutes to finally get the TV to come on while pressing any and all combinations of the power and on buttons. And then when we left to eat and came back to the room, we never could figure out the combination of buttons again. That shouldn't happen. (my 3rd cardinal sin for hotels is to have loud door slamming sounds. That didn't happen here at all, maybe because this is an outside door type of hotel where all of the doors open to the outside instead of to an interior corridor.)

We had to leave before the breakfast was set up and I was really hoping to try it after reading the great reviews. I grabbed a bowl of oatmeal for the road and we were on our way. I think this is a great hotel for folks that are really on a tight budget, but we most likely wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple