“Almost excellent, but just missing”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Artichoke Cafe

Artichoke Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Artichoke Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 1,766 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Price range: US$30 - US$40
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Huning Highland Historic District
Description: The Artichoke Cafe was reopened in 1989 by Pat and Terry Keene. Pat, who was formally trained in New York City, is executive chef and Terry has 30 years experience in restaurant management. Their dedication to the best in food, wine, and service has made this 120 seat restaurant one of Albuquerque's finest dining spots. Its downtown location on Route 66 in the Historic Huning Highland/EDO District, cozy modern decor and rotating art exhibits add panache and charm to its ambience. The food is a mix of French, Italian, and creative American, using only the finest ingredients.
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Almost excellent, but just missing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

Dinner with friends included very excellent apple and bleu cheese salad, heirloom tomato caprese salad, prosciutto-wrapped scallops, steak frites and a peach tarte tatin - all just great. But the high quality was missing in some of the other dishes and the tacky local business advertising in the restrooms just didn't fit with Artichoke's claim to 5-star quality. But so close - I'd happily go back for another try.

Placitas, New Mexico
“Terrific”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

My husband & I went to Artichoke Cafe as we had been a year or two before & enjoyed the experience. We are happy to report that we once again enjoyed this restaurant. The service was great (we were pretty early for dinner - 5:30 as we had an event to attend later). I was interested in the scallops, but inquired as to how many they served prior to ordering. The waiter advised I would receive 3 or 4 depending on the size and that this was a signature dish for them - has been on the menu unchanged since they opened. I received 4 large scallops and they were excellent! The sauce was rich but not too rich and the scallops were wrapped in prosciutto accompanied by creamy fingerling potatoes and green beans. My husband had a steak - he likes blue rare and while the outside was not charred as much as he normally likes, the meat was very tender and blue! We will return.

• Visited July 2013
Colorado
“Good food, but a bit costly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

I took the whole family here for dinner recently, to celebrate my daughter’s birthday. I have an adult daughter who is very in to organic and healthy food, and she chose the Artichoke Cafe. The establishment is clean and reasonably comfortable, but ambiance could be better for a restaurant in this price range. We had prompt and courteous service, and the food was very good. Although, if you’re a hearty eater, you may not be happy with the portion sizes served here. The prices were a bit on the high side. We had no appetizers, no alcoholic beverages and no desserts, and the bill, with tax and tip, for 4 adults and one child, still came to nearly $140.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Fairly average food for high price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

After getting recommendations from friends and reading reviews, decided to try Artichoke last night. Came at 7:30 with no reservation and got right in. Service was spotty from the start. Were offered menus and drink menu but no wine menu. Wine selections by the glass were weak. Had to ask for water twice. Drink my wife got was wonderful. My wine was OK.
Appetizer that took over 20 minutes to get was calamari with two dipping sauces. Calamari was chewy and not very crisp. Sauces were good.
Wife had the veal scallopine that was not thin and tough though the sauce was good. The manager and waiter spoke to us about this and explained that their veal deliveries were inconsistent. An explanation but not excusable for a restaurant with a chef. If the veal wasn't acceptable, it should not have been on the menu. They gave us 1/2 off for that despite the fact that my wife ate practically none of it. They offered to replace it but it was already 8:30 and this had taken an hour to get to us.
I had the lamb bangers and mash that was good.
With the 1/2 off the bill was still over $100. Not a good value and not the experience I was expecting. The veal should have been comped completely for me to come back.

1 Thank lleichtman
Paso Robles
“Wonderful place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

We had one night in Albuquerque on our way to Colorado. I looked at the reviews of this restaurant and although they looked promising, we were completely blown away at how wonderful this place was. We did not want southwest cuisine or western cuisine - this is a very fine dining establishment. Food was imaginative, wine list was great and the atmosphere was just what we wanted - someplace quiet, but not stuffy. If you love food and wine, this restaurant will not disappoint. My husband had the scallops, I had the duck....both were outstanding!

• Visited July 2013