“Not what it used to be!!”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Eloy's Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #681 of 1,769 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: Mexican
Tijeras, New Mexico
“Not what it used to be!!”
Reviewed 21 March 2012

We used to frequent Eloy's but we stopped going at all, because the service became a little grouchy, and most of all they were using some sort of cleaner that you could smell upon entering the place that would just kill your appetite, I just don't think that they are putting in the care that it takes to run a place like this, it's unfortunate, might be time to retire!

Houston, Texas
“Great homestyle New Mexican food”
Reviewed 6 January 2012

Authentic food from a family restaurant that has been around for years. A small, neighborhood place to get great food. The chile has just the right amount of heat and the meals are generous (including guacamole salad, sopapillas, and dessert). No alcohol, but who needs it when the food is so good! It is a place I will be going back to.

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank dbinhou7511
“Went to this restaurant after reading several good reviews and we were very disappointed. :(”
Reviewed 8 July 2011

Cute little joint but from my eating out experience, i felt the items were over priced and my sour cream enchilada plate and my sons enchilada meal from the children's menu were both a joke. The menu stated I get 3 enchiladas, I got two. I also couldn't find my baby sized enchiladas under the mounds of unimpressive "special sour cream sauce". My sons meal, a cheese enchilada the size of m finger, some refried beans I could find out of a can and some rice that lpokes and tasted dried out and they ran out of seasoning and/or sauce when making it. The waitress was unfriendly in the beginning but became a bit more friendly towards the end, perhaps it was getting close to tip time? I want to think that perhaps we ordered the wrong thing because this place was busy and there are so many good reviews but my husband was not at all impressed with his tostada meal either and he is an easy pleaser! Both green and red chili was good, chips were good and the free dessert was alright also. Cute place...we enjoy trying new places even if it's not a great experience. :)

1 Thank Kellystjohn
Albuquerque, NM
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“My favorite place to eat Mexican Food!!!!!”
Reviewed 16 July 2010

Eloy's is a family owned restaurant that has been around for many, many years. The food is varied and always prepared well. The waitresses have alway been welcoming and polite. I have never had a problem with them making substitutions. They always remember their regular customers and sometimes even remember what we like to order. As far as taste, the red and the green chile are both equally good. I have lived in New Mexico my whole life and have tried most of the Mexican food restaurants in Albuquerque and I find that I always perfer Eloy's. I don't believe you can ever go wrong when you pick this restaurant. I'm going there tonight with my friends and my mouth is watering already!!!!!!

1 Thank LoveNewMexico
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Food great, Service Stinks”
Reviewed 5 November 2009

Perhaps I spoke too soon. We've been to Eloy's several times, and the food remains great. We noticed on our second and third visits that the waitresses were somewhat surly. Fine. Perhaps we just got a good one the first time around.

However, the last time we visited, our waitress flat out refused to let us order items from the menu that we wanted. First, we asked to substitute on a combo plate, having read the "extra fee" for substitutions and not caring about the price. She said 'no'. When we explained that it wasn't the price that mattered, we just wanted to substitute one common thing for another, regardless of what she had to charge, she still said 'no' without explanation. This turned in to a several minute debate, as we requested our food in several different ways. Finally, we asked if we could get the combo with the additional item a la carte, and she told us that the kitchen couldn't do it. It wasn't that they didn't have the item, they just 'weren't allowed to do it'.

I'm not sure where the communication problem was, since we were all native English speakers. Perhaps there's some obscure health code violation that prevents a chile relleno from sitting on the same table, much less the same plate, as a tamale. Either way, the waitress was rude and unaccomodating. The manager was equally bad when we pointed this out to her at the end, mumbling something about the kitchen must not have been able to do it, then.

We're pretty no-frills diners, but we won't be going back after this poor treatment. If you can stomach a sour-faced waitress who tells you what you may eat or not eat, then you likely will enjoy the good food. We, however, left with a bad taste in our mouths.

5 Thank TravellingChick