“Top notch New Mexican cooking”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Monica's El Portal

Monica's El Portal
Ranked #65 of 1,766 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Groups, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: West Old Town
Dallas, Texas
“Top notch New Mexican cooking”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2009

Realy top notch solid New Mexican cuisine. Everything handmade on the premises- from the tortillas to the biscochitos (Un-official state Cookie of N.M.) ..When asked "red or green? " answer "Christmas" to get half green chile and half red chile...This place is worth seeking out - meal for 2 (with beers) about $25 - In the "Old Town" area of Abq

1 Thank dfwguy

Bozeman, Montana
“Pretty good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2008

My wife and I had dinner here recently during a night stay in ABQ. The place is adorable, and we had a very friendly server. The outdoor patio was a fantastic place to eat in the evening cool weather.
My wife and I really haven't had too much New Mexican cuisine before and just figured it was like Mexican fare. I had a burrito and my wife had carne adovada. My burrito was fantastic, but we didn't really care for the adovada--not because it was done poorly but probably b/c we just didn' care for the dish.
Overall it was a great meal and I would recommended it, I think we just ordered poorly for our tastes.

2 Thank Strigs8
Florida
“Much better than the ones top rated here IMO”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2008

After eating at a Trip Advisor top rated restaurant our first night in town (and being terribly disappointed) we decided to look for something different but still serving Mexican food. Monica's El Portal is a very unassuming little place on Rio Grande Blvd., but there is nothing but pleasant surprises within. We were given friendly courteous service and the cook/owner gives everyone his personal attention. They serve drinks, and it was a good opportunity to try a local brewing companies fare. The food itself was very fresh, well prepared, and attractively presented. We had fajitas which were marinated to perfection. The tortillas appeared to be fresh baked, as was the salsa we were served with chips when we first sat down. The price was very reasonable. This would definitely be a place we will return to on our next trip to Albuquerque.

3 Thank Shea1114
Wisconsin
“My Favorite place!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2008

This was the best part of New Mexico.

We ate their 3 times, we couldn't stay away.

Don't miss

Albuquerque, Nm
“Think of Grandma's Home Cookin' New Mexican Style”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2007

The food is awesome, the atmosphere is being like at Grandma's home. The family ran restaurant invites you as if you are family. Good food, laughter, beautiful historic home that is now a restaurant - this is my favorite place to eat!

2 Thank TheThompsonTrio