“Ultra casual, great smoked meats” 4 of 5 bubbles

Rudy's
Ranked #153 of 1,777 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Cheap Eats, Groups, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Ultra casual, great smoked meats”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

The extra lean brisket is really good, although the standard brisket is a little too fatty for my taste. The pork loin is excellent, and the prime rib on weekends is also a good cut and well-flavored. Heck, all the meat is pretty darn good.

The sauce is a little "different", but after a couple trials, you'll find that it works well with the smokey flavor of the brisket and pork. Not as enthuasiastic about it with turkey.

This is not upscale. It's not even scale. As my sister once said, "it has the ambiance of the Lutheran Dining Hall at the South Dakota State Fair," with its folding chairs and rows of long tables shared with other diners. This place is the most casual of the casual; pretty much anything goes in the dress code department.

Most of the counter help is efficient and well-trained, but sometimes I think the meat cutters need a little more training. There is huge variability in how thick the slices will be cut from one visit to the next, depending on who's doing the cutting, and even if you request that it be cut "thin", the counter person usually doesn't verify that it is, so you must watch as they bring it over to the scale or you might end up with half- or three-quarter inch thick slices.

Avoid this place on a Friday or Saturday early- to mid-evening unless you're comfortable standing in a loud noisy order/serving line for fifteen or twenty minutes. Tons of families swarm in at that time, and it's a madhouse. But for lunch and for an evening weekday meal, you'll have no trouble getting served in a reasonable amount of time and finding a place to sit without feeling like you're in someone else's lap.

Bottom line-- go have a Rudy-Q. Your taste buds will thank you.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Glen Head, New York
“Best Brisket Ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

I've had some exceptional brisket before, but I think this was my favorite of all time. Tender and lovingly smoked, this was one of the few times in the recent past where I did not think I was eating the remains of a fire. Too many places think the stronger the smoke, the better the BBQ these days, but Rudy's knows just the right balance. The dry rub was perfect that no BBQ sauce was needed, though the sauces on the table also enhanced th sandwich.

Not a fancy place, you order your food at the counter and take to one of the long picnic tables. You can order a premade sandwich, or order by the pounds (or less), with bread and make your own. We tried the brisket, as well as the sliced pork, which while very good in its own right, just could not compete with that brisket!

A fresh peach cobbler for dessert and we were happy as a pig in... Well, maybe not a good analogy for a BBQ place. Our only disappointment was that we only had one day in Albuquerque to eat here.

Visited September 2013
New Mexico
“Back up that brisket baby!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

I staggered into Rudy's on the recommendation of others seeking to regulate my blood sugars. So, apparently, were the 9 others in our group. The smoke wafting from the place quickly caused us to pile in the door.

Rudy's offers sandwiches, bulk BBQ purchase and they cater as well. I settled for a brisket sandwich which was excellent. My companions thought the pulled pork sandwich was equally good.

So how good is this place? Well, we ate lunch there every day for a week, it was that good. So, if yo momma doesn't do BBQ, visit Rudy's. She would approve and so would I.

Visited August 2013
Portland, OR
“Great Family Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013 via mobile

Visiting from the NW where we dont have good bbq. This was flavorfull meat that was cooked just right. The sauces they provide are excellent. My kids said they want the Sissy sauce to replace ketchup at home. The prices for us were very resonable. We fed five people for under $40. I want them to open in ed in Portland. The atmosphere is casual cafeteria style with sheet paper for plates. This place is for good food. If you want upscale this isnt it. I th knows its place and executes it the best.

• Visited June 2013
OKC, OK
“Always great!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

I spent years in Texas eating amazing BBQ, and this is the only place I have found that even gets close to that... and they get very close! I love Rudy's and go whenever I can!

Visited March 2013