“Flies were the winners”

Neighbourhood: West Old Town
Springfield, Virginia
“Flies were the winners”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Stopped in for lunch. What a mistake. Right away we noticed all the flies inside the place. We stayed and ordered and regretted it. Service was awful. Chips were stale and the salsa tasted like it was out of a jar. Beers were grossly warm and served in a plastic mug that had an odor. Who serves beer in cheap plastic mugs anymore. The food was really bad, probably the worst Mexican food we have ever had. Skip this place, a.k.a. La Hacienda.

Reno, Nevada
“Stay away”
Reviewed 9 August 2013

The staff was friendly enough and our server was pleasant; the food and the incredibly S-L-O-W service however were awful. We stopped in for a snack. A chile relleno for me and two ground beef tacos for my husband. It took an extremely long time for us to get our food and when it arrived..."That is the worst chile relleno I've ever seen in my life." I was taken aback by how pathetic it looked. Half the size of a standard chile relleno sitting atop some lettuce strewn on the plate with an over-fried encasing and semi-dried cheese. It tasted fine but the size and presentation were lousy. My husband's tacos were quite bland. No seasoning on the ground beef. For a restaurant in the center of a tourist attraction they really dropped the ball.

Bay Area
“Standard Tex-Mex in a nice setting”
Reviewed 8 August 2013

As others have said, this place is now called La Hacienda.

We went there for dinner tonight and had a pretty good experience. I wasn't happy to be there, so I wasn't predisposed to like the place, but our waiter won me over with great service and a free sopapilla dessert, which was very, very, very good.

The rest of the food was standard quality for Tex-Mex places. The chips and salsa reminded me of Chevy's (which is a good thing). The chips were light and thin and the salsa held its own. I had a guacamole salad, and while there was a bit too much lettuce, it was pretty good, if simple (what i wanted). My daughter enjoyed her taquitos and my husband's Indian tacos turned out to be regular tacos served in fried bread, instead of a tortilla. They worked and he was pleased.

The place is very cute inside, with lots of light-colored wood and bright pictures, and the location in the plaza could only be better if they had more ample outside sitting. But it was nice and cool inside.

The only thumbs down in the menu went for my daughter's corndog, but she also didn't like the fries, and we felt they were very good (but they had the slight flavor of potato skin, which might be what she disliked).

Prices for most Tex-Mex entrees are in the low teens, with some dinners in the high-teens. Pretty much what I'd expect to pay for the food.

Henderson, Nebraska, United States
“Best food in Old Town Albuquerque, NM”
Reviewed 16 July 2013

My husband and I just had the most fantastic meal ever at La Hacienda! We both had Fajitas that were the best we have ever eaten anywhere. Service was terrific and everyone was so pleasant and friendly there. It made our meal even better to have such wonderful staff working there. If you want a great meal and very reasonable prices, then you really must go to La Hacienda in Old Town. Nothing but the very best Mexican food you can get anywhere!! EXCELLENT!!!!

• Visited July 2013
Tucson, Arizona
“Old town Mexican Food”
Reviewed 30 May 2013

Service was excellent.
We ordered the nachos and two beers. Nachos were good and the beer were in bottles. Cost for the beer was a bit high at 5.99. Overall, this was good. Outside in the park there were Mexican dancers on the stage. We stayed at the Sandia Peak motel, which was excellent for a budget motel.

• Visited May 2013