“Very good food in basic surroundings”
Review of Flying Star Cafe - Downtown - CLOSED

Flying Star Cafe - Downtown
Price range: US$8 - US$15
Cuisines: Diner, Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Raynolds Addition
Reviewed 30 July 2013

The Flying Star Cafe in Silver Street is well worth looking for. It's a little way off the main street and looks a bit unusual (i.e. casual) for a place to eat, but the food is delicious and they even have a few bottles of quality beers available to go with your meal.

The prices are possibly a little expensive considering the basic surroundings, but the quality of the food makes up for it.

Reviewed 13 July 2013

The short version: The food here is delicious, though perhaps a bit over-priced. Great selection of desserts. Will definitely come back again.

The long version: My wife and I had our first Flying Star Cafe visit at the Corrales location, which was nearer our house. She had a chicken breast sandwich ($12) and I had the green chile burger ($13). The food was delicious and came with an appropriate amount of fries, although I'm not sure that I would want to pay $13 for a burger again. We did take advantage of the summer special where we could get a shake for just $2. Our vanilla shake was very tasty, and they gave us the leftover ice cream in another cup.

Last night we went to the downtown location. I had the last piece of red velvet cake ($7) in the case, and it was tasty, too.

In both places, the ambiance was nice and the people were friendly, although it wasn't until our second visit that we got offered to join their Frequent Flyer rewards program. During our first visit, I wasn't completely sure how the restaurant worked. I had to ask a bus boy about how to get more water (there's a Quick Fix station at which you can get your refills). I'm still not sure if you're supposed to clear your table or not, but we just left our dishes there both times. They also have magazine racks for you to purchase your pleasure.

All in all, it seems pretty expensive to me to go to on a regular basis, but if there's a special occasion or we need a nice sweet treat, I think we will definitely go back to Flying Star.

1  Thank Nate W
Reviewed 13 June 2013

new location...very fun & great food. do not order the breakfast burrito unless you plan to share. this is very good and you will eat the entire thing even though it is the size of a small car. you have been warned!

Reviewed 25 May 2013

Had a chili dish with green peppers that was delicious. VERY generous with the beef and not too badly priced. Around $11 with a soft drink and tax. Nice place, too. Internet access, wide open dining room on two levels. Order at a counter and they bring the food out to you. Enjoyed it and plan to return.

Reviewed 21 May 2013

Love this place on the weekend when the business crowd is not around. Students, guys from the fire station across the street, city-dwellers fill the place, but it is not packed. The food is good, varied, certainly more sophisticated than usual in Albuquerque. Steadily climbing prices at all the Flying Star locations have sort of dampened the fun. But still this local chain is a first choice over and over.

1  Thank nycexpatagain