“Authentic NM dining experience”

Barelas Coffee House
Ranked #4 of 34 Coffee & Tea in Albuquerque
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Southwestern
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Continuing my drive on Route 66, I stopped in Albuquerque just to try this restaurant. I'm so happy I did. Arrived at 1:30pm and the restaurant was half full and didn't have to wait for a table. Great breakfast and lunch menu. Its called a coffee shop, so there's no fancy decor, just a little New Mexico theme and photos of President Obama's visit and media stories about them.
Had the combination of 3 enchiladas to try the adovada pork stew, shredded chicken, and chicharones with the Christmas chili sauce: half red/half green. Excellent fillings: the pork was tender, white meat chicken, and lean chicharones. The sauces were very flavorful and weren't really that spicy. Several people were having the menudo, I ordered that to go and that was excellent as well. Will definitely return on my next trip.

1  Thank sfwon
There are newer reviews for Barelas Coffee House

Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

This was my first time on ABQ and my hosts brought me here for breakfast. I had the Huevos rancheros. I like to think I have a higher tolerance for spicy food than I do haha but even this was a struggle. It was almost unvareable. Is suggest getting the sauce on the side if you're unsure. It was very tasty, nonetheless, and authentic. They were extremely busy so you know it's a good place and worth the visit!

Reviewed 4 March 2014

This neighborhood place has been wowing diners (including President Obama) for about 30 years. Go here if you want a 'real' NM food experience. The place is not open for dinner, but is packed at breakfast and lunch. You won't be disappointed. Food is great!

Reviewed 20 February 2014

Hot hot food. Both in temp and in spice levels. Don't bother if you cannot take the heat. Crazy busy place on a Sunday morning but worth the wait. Tasty and filling. Did I mention Hot?

Reviewed 20 February 2014

Had breakfast here during weekend visit to Albuqureque. Delicious green chili sause on huevo rancheros & breakfast burrito. Small diner feel with inexpensive, tasty food. Out of the way on 4th St. south of downtown. Recommend parking across the street.