“Ain't what it used to be”

Sadie's of New Mexico
Ranked #14 of 1,765 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Soups
Good for: Cheap Eats, Bar Scene, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
ABQ
“Ain't what it used to be”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

Went to Sadi's last night, and feel compelled to rate the venerable North Valley establishment. And yes, I did used to eat there when it was part of the bowling alley. Unfortnately, as they say, "it ain't what it use to be." First, the good: The service is the best in Albuquerque, hands down. They float their bussers around so it's like you have 2 waiters for each table. And they're all friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. The salsa is hot and terrific; Good, strong margaritas, decent guac and chile con queso; average green chile, serviceable chicken enchiladas, and very good carne adovada. And with the portions, you'll never go away hungry (nausious is another matter). The bad: in general, except what I mentioned above, the food is pretty awful. The red chile is completely tasteless, my chile relleno was mainly batter and tasted like it was fried in old oil. Any my "spicey taco meat" burrito tasted like dog food. The ubiquitous papas came with everything (even though I ordered a la carte because I specifically didn't want them), and a layer of melted cheese blanketed all dishes. Normally, I'm in favor of the cheese blanket, but their cheese is entirely flavorless. In fact, my table also had the nachos, but between the meat and the cheese, they were inedible. I love New Mexico slop food, but Sadi's has gotten too sloppy for me. It's as though they've severly compromised on the quality of their ingredients. So in spite of my allegiance to an ABQ tradition, I'm afraid I just have to recommend another place... unless you're only looking for any of those "goods" I mentioned above.

Santa Maria, California
“Good food & service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

Food was good & large portions. Grandson ordered a taco burger. He is a big eater but could only eat half of it. Also had large portion of fries with it. We had to take doggie bags since we couldn't eat everything. Service was very good. Margaritas was so so. Would go there again if we go back to Albuquerque.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Resting on its Laurels”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

Having moved to the Albuquerque area only 4 months ago, all we have heard when asking about restaurants was that you have to try Sadie's. So we were in the area for Saturday night dinner and had to give them a try.
If you think the restaurant is going to be some cozy small setting for couples, forget it. The main dining room is more reminiscent of a cafeteria seating area than fine dining. One big room with high ceilings, booths around the outside, and regular tables in the middle. There may be 30 booths and at least as many tables all in one open room. We peeked in their other dining room for groups, and it was even more cafeteria like with stacking chairs for seating.

The prices are rather high for the food being served. I ordered the carne adovada burrito plate which came with the burrito, fried diced potatoes, and beans for $15. My wife ordered a single chicken taco plate, with potatoes and beans, and that was $10. The first bite of the burrito was just a big piece of very tender fat. Into the napkin it went. As I started eating more of the burrito, two pools of grease started to form at each end of the burrito, nasty. I did not finish it. I do have the say the potatoes and beans covered with their red chili sauce was tasty and probably the best part of my meal. My wife got the green chili with meat sauce on her beans and potatoes and she too agreed that that was the best part of her meal.
The wait staff is a lot of young girls, probably on their first waitress job. Our service was OK, not pleasant, not friendly, just OK. It was not the type of service I would expect for a $15 a plate restaurant. The service was comparable to a 24 hour Waffle joint along an Interstate.

My wife and I have agreed that it is not worth going back. There are many other restaurants serving better quality food in nicer surroundings at a more reasonable price for a burrito than Sadie's. They seem to be resting on their laurels.

Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
“Great Food, Good Prices, Good Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

Travel to Albuquerque once a year and have hit many of the local New Mexican places. I would say that Sadie's ranks in the upper tier. Portions are huge, service was good, and food was quite excellent. Got the chicken taco dinner, queso, and house margaritas.

Tips:

- The queso is incredible. Not to be missed.
- In reading the menu I thought to myself, "just one taco in the meal, that will never be enough". Rarely have I need more wrong. I went ahead and added the second taco, which was total nonsense. Just is indeed enough.
- The carafe of house margaritas was $22, a bit steep. Not sure what the traditional margaritas would have been, but I didn't notice anything that special the house version.

Rolla, Missouri
“Great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

Ate there for lunch with a group of six. We had a wonderful sampling of what they had to offer. I had one of the best hamburgers I have ever had. It was called the Billy Bondo Burger. Everyone enjoyed their food and they give you massive quantities. Service was great, but I didn't care for their margaritas too much.