“Avoid Like Plague on Weekends”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Albuquerque - Hotel & Spa
Ranked #24 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
GreenLeadersSilver level
Socorro, New Mexico
“Avoid Like Plague on Weekends”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2010

I admit, I'm a Hilton Honors snob. I like to pamper myself once in a while in certain cities and stay at an ES for the excellent breakfast service and rooms. I planned this getaway with the husband to really enjoy ourselves. When we arrived at the hotel we found the place PACKED. There were several conferences (on a weekend) and 2 birthday parties which were held IN THE ATRIUM. There kids strewn everwhere. Once the hotel allowed the parties to bring in their own pizza and cakes and trash the atrium, they went to the pool area. Now, the ES ABQ's pool is not gigantic; it's indoors and tiny. I went to check out the pool to see if I could even get in there and there was a staff member taking names of other guests who wanted to use it to come back later when it wasn't to capacity. THE NERVE... Thank God I used points for this stay, but even that I was def cheated on that. So, the next morning we go down to breakfast only to find you had to wait in line for 30 minutes to get an omelette. While waiting, we overheard staff saying that half the people there show up every weekend for free breakfast and they don't even stay there. For what was, in my mind, the nicest hotel in Albuquerque, they have certainly stooped to new lows to bring in business. This isn't a Chucky Cheese folks, it's a HOTEL...

Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wendi C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
New Mexico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2010

Originally bookded the room way in advance for me and a co-worker for a business trip. The co-worker had to cancel so I called to change the room from two double beds to a king size bed...again way in advance. I was assured that the change had been made. First off the first thing you smell when you walk into ES is the smell of Chlorine from the swimming pool. When I went to check in the receptionist welcomed me and informed me that I would be staying on the 7th floor with two double beds. I told her that I had called and changed the double beds to a king size bed as my co-worker was unable to come on the trip. She said it didn't look like the change was ever made. I asked if they would be able to make the change...she said no that they were all booked up. Ok...well that was just the beginning of what turned out to be the worst stay of my life. The first thing I noticed when I walked into the room were crumbs on the table in the little livingroom area....and yes I am a clean freak...but at first glance of the rest of the room I decided against my better judgment to forgive the crumbs and try and get situated. I left the room for a while to go have dinner in the Atrium restraunt...where you could smell the heavy Chlorine smell. ...by the way I have Asthma and after two days of this I was having the worst breathing problems...anyways...after diner I came back to my room and on the counter I noticed what looked like a wet spot from a glass placed on the counter...when I went to touch it....it was sticky...GROSSSSSSS!!! I called for someone to either come up and clean the counters or move me to a new room.....they send they would send sombody right up....no body ever came....called again....they said they had no other rooms to move me to and appologized about the wait and would send someone right up....I fell asleep before anyone ever came...Ok so in the morning I go down and tell the receptionist about the problems and to please have the housekeeper clean the room appropriately. She said she would make sure it was done...When I return to my room in the evening...the bed was made, towels hung, and all theose sticky glass marks were still alover everything....so then I really started looking to see what else I would find...there was hair and crumbs in the ice bucket, it didn't look like the vacume had been run in the room except for the walking path, I ran mu hand over the speckled grey marble sink counter in the restroom and low and behold some kind of thin fild plastic thing stuck to my hand.I'm really grossed out by this place...I will never stay again and I will spread the word like wildfire to all friends, family and co-workers to never ever stay there. Oh and as if all that was not bad enough...you have to pay $9 somthing per day for wireless and there is no free cable....you would think that this being a "Fancy" place that they would at least have free cable and wireless. I will go back to my old faithfull the La Quinta Inn and Suits...they have never failed me....they are clean and have feree wireless and cable.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
4 Thank Hot_or_Not
Amarillo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2010

We stay at embassy whenever we can. Love the large CLEAN rooms. Everything always looks new.
We were disappointed in the "Mgr.s reception" Usually they have lots of great food. This time only pretzels and lots of candy, cookies. YUK There was some fruit, not what I would expect from an Embassy.
The morning breakfast was fabulous. Their usual, lots of everything; and GOOD.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Hoschton, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2010

The hotel is very nice and clean, but the staff is the BEST. They are professional and try to make your stay as good as possible. They are also very honest. I forgot my purse with more than $700 cash and two credit cards with more than $25000 available credit in the restaurant. It was brought to my hotel room by the bellhop before I realized I had forgotten it. We have stayed at this hotel twice and both times it was awesome.

Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Suffolk, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2010

We have stayed at the Embassy suites & spa twice and will be back anytime we're in Albuquerque, NM. The food is delicious, and delivered promptly to your room. I had salmon & my husband had a steak, cooked to perfection! The snacks at the evening managers reception run out quickly & was slow to get refilled. The pool & spa was kept nice and clean with fresh towels. We ate dinner out at the Chama river brewing co restaurant one Saturday night, and not wanting to drink & drive tried to get a cab home! We waited over an hour with tired children. Too bad the hotel doesn't offer restaurant runs in the mini bus that just sits there (for promo events)! They don't even offer an airport shuttle. That is the only complaint! But we love to visit this hotel, and will do so in the future!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Lady_Porsche
Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2010

We fly in to Albuquerque a lot, visiting family in the 4 corners area. Usually need to stay one night in the town, depending on the airline schedules. We have found the Embassy Suites to be consistently clean and beautiful, with prompt service and friendly staff. We did find the restaurant to be understaffed in the evening for dinner, but otherwise no complaints.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2010

Stayed 3 nights while working for a client in the area along w/2 colleagues. If you are going to the Convention Center, this is your place, otherwise, there's not much near by other than a freeway & a clinical lab.

The suites are lovely, bathroom very large, but interestingly enough, someone has cut the shower curtains off @ the bottom & now they are not long enough to keep water from spraying out onto the floor. The window treatments leave big gaps on all sides when the drapes are pulled which is bad enough, but the hotel has giant spotlights all around the outside to illuminate the building @ night, which makes the gaps even worse.

As a Hilton Diamond, I should have rec'd 2 bottles of water @ check-in (as I have @ other ES & Hilton properties), but didn't, unless you count the 2 bottles the bellman found on the floor in the hallway enroute to my room. There is the ES complimentary cooked to order breakfast along w/a hot & cold breakfast buffet; skip the buffet & order something cooked to order. We only ate @ the restaurant one night, but the portions were huge. Interestingly, on our first night, when we came back from dinner, there was a big platter of freshly baked cookies & hot cider in the lobby for guests, but on the 2nd night we were told the hotel had discontinued putting this out. They had recently apparently demoted the concierge to front desk staff & according to one of the waitstaff in the morning, the hotel was only 1/8th full during our stay. We had problems @ time of check-in in that 1 of our 3 rooms wasn't ready, but despite repeated assurances from, & phone calls to Tabitha directly, we were never notified when it was ready. Getting a cab can be an issue so be sure to ask the front desk staff to call one well in advance of when it's needed. While you're in the area be sure to check out the Standard Diner-absolutely yummy!!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business