“First rate!”

Bien Mur Indian Market Center
Ranked #75 of 227 things to do in Albuquerque
Reviewed 11 April 2013

We pass through Albuquerque 3-4 times a year. Bien Mur was recommended to us by a hotel manager a few years ago. We have been to all the tourist spots while shopping for Native American jewelry. We just didn't find much quality and frankly, just didn't trust what we were buying. Bien Mur is a place to go if you want investment, high quality gallery pieces. If you don't want to spend much, then shop for trinkets at the tourist trap places around the plaza. Elaine is very informative about the merchandise in the store and we trust her. I have picked up some gorgeous pieces over the years and am never disappointed. If you are a serious shopper, they will negotiate the price with you.

2  Thank leslie s
in 10 reviews
in 4 reviews
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 15 October 2012

Bien Mur has been on our Albuquerque radar for nearly 40 years. This is a great Native American commerce center featuring world-class artwork from several Native American pueblos.

A short drive north on I – 25 from Albuquerque will place one very near to Bien Mur.

We disagree with "ripoff." Some artwork is overpriced, some is fairly priced, and some art is offered at 50% off. Guess the more one studies and knows, the better choices one can make.

Bien Mur is in the heart of NM Pueblo country, and if one has 10 days to visit the Pueblos and misses the feast days, one might do better.

We have Santa Clara pots from Bien Mur that we purchased 30 years ago, and now these pots are with 5 times the price we paid.

Bien Mur is beautiful and always worth the visit.

3  Thank SavantIII_11
Reviewed 17 September 2012

We met a native artist at Art in the Park, and asked him where would he recommend we go to find reputable native crafts in one place. He said skip the places all over town, unless you have the time to spare, and go to Bien Mur near Sandia Resort.

We did, and met the most wonderful staff. They were knowledgeable, and helpful without being intrusive. The whole set up lends itself well to browsing. Although there is so much selection, the organization makes it easy.

While we were there, many locals came by to shop for personal items, gifts, and also picked up gifts that were wrapped by the staff at Bien Mur. Fabulous service.

If you are in the market for jewelry, pottery, rugs, and the like; Bien Mur is a one stop shopping experience.

Reviewed 9 September 2012 via mobile

Prices are so over price it ridiculous. Their 50 percent of sales not a 50 percent off sale they change just jack up the price to cover there sale. Whoever said they are the biggest distributer of native art is a joke!

See more reviews
Reviewed 1 April 2008

While in New Mexico 4th of July week 2006, I came across this round building near the Sandia Casino & Tramway with buffalo in a pasture nearby. The first time I went in, it was near closing time and there was not enough time to see everything. There are two floors with a variety of items for purchase. I went back the next day and was very impressed. My tradition is that I purchase most of my Christmas presents while on vacation so that I can surprise people with unique things. Everyone that works there, and most of them were Native American's, were so nice & helpful. I must say that my younger son & nephew all agree that out of everywhere we've traveled to date, we found the nicest & friendliest people in New Mexico!

The bottom floor was all jewlery created by each of the Native American tribes, i.e. Zuni, Navajo, Hopi, etc. I purchased many pieces of jewelry for gifts and a few pieces for myself. We purchased several carvings out of wood and a wooden box that has a lid with a sand art sculpure on it. Everything was of good quality and unique.

We were also given a poster that was a replica of picture created by a local native girl who won their yearly contest. A young girl did a sketch of how that area looked in the past. It's beautiful and my son still has it hanging in his bedroom.

I highly recommend shopping at Bien Mur if you're in the Albuquerque area. I hope to return there some day during my travels of the southwest.

6  Thank warmweatherfriend