“Not really a hostel. Not really a great deal.”
Review of Route 66 Hostel

and 1 more site!
Route 66 Hostel
Reviewed 13 April 2014

tl;dr This place would do in a pinch but there are better options. Do not expect much.

I will try to start with the good. The location was OK and the place wasn't super filthy or anything. I will echo all those who have previously commented that the staff was very unfriendly. They either ignored us or just seemed bothered that we were in their way. We stayed in a private room. Thank goodness it was spring as the heater looked questionable and there didn't seem to be an air conditioner. The room was incredibly stuffy still and the window was all sorts of warped and difficult to open and did not stay open. The bed was very uncomfortable and a bit dated. Room plus bed equals poor nights sleep. The place is fairly run down and shows some pretty serious signs of its age. The staff seemed to arrive at the desk late for their assigned hours and seemed to wander off quite a bit leaving things unattended. The parking in the back was a nice addition. There were eggs to cook for breakfast.

I expect hostels to have some sort of vibe or friendliness and this place really lacks. I think the staff might work here in exchange for a place to stay and therefore are sometimes hanging out in the common areas. This would not be an issue if not for their rudeness and attitude. This place is more of a really cheap hotel or halfway house or something more than a hostel.

Essentially this place will do if you really need a sorta cheap place to sleep, although its really not that good of a deal compared to budget motels in town if you are not travelling alone.

Room Tip: Go to a budget motel.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 February 2014

It's one of those places where staff members frown at you and leave you feeling quite unwelcome. I wonder if this points to a morale issue. The man who checked me in, however, was quite friendly.
The place is old and worn with badly leaking plumbing and clearly shows only grudging maintenance. The layout remains from the days when the interior was chopped up to maximize income-producing spaces. I just imagined that I was on a train or a ship as I navigated the narrow hallways. The cigarette smokers, and there were many, congregate around the front door so their smoke was inescapable while walking in and out. Compared to some hostels, I found this one to be relatively clean.
The nearby street was very noisy and I needed ear plugs to sleep. The bed sheets were both flat sheets and ended up in a ball on the floor. The thermostat was turned up high enough to keep me in a sweat all night long. I finally gave up on trying to sleep at about dawn and got out of there.
I won't recommend that you stay or don't stay there, but do encourage you to keep your expectations modest.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Bob B
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Definitely the cheapest deal in town - the "presidential suite" is the same price as the cheapest motel, the private rooms are only slightly more expensive than dorm beds. The location is great too, within short walking distance of downtown, which has lots of bars and places to eat, library, theaters. Old Town is close by too, with museums, the zoo, charming architecture and wonderful New Mexican restaurants.

My first stay there was Halloween weekend. I met lots of people, we explored the night life and had a blast. My second stay there was in the winter, there were far fewer people, and I didn't have as positive of an impression.

I would suggest a private room - it is well worth the extra five or ten bucks. The dorm rooms remind me of the dingy hostel atmosphere as depicted in the movies. The "sofa" they had to sit on must have been pulled off the streets. I was there in the winter, and had a cold, uncomfortable sleep. The heater was not working, the adjustable knob was jammed. Finally, miraculously, the heater turned on as I was leaving in the morning. Go figure.

The staff are very friendly and approachable. The common areas are cozy, the Wi-Fi works great, and they don't mind you hanging out all day after you've checked out. The kitchen could use some updating, and more tools, but I'm glad I was able to make a batch of pancakes and eggs for free, and share with other guests and make friends.

Room Tip: Private rooms are only five buck extra, and well worth it. They are much cleaner and nicer. The dorm...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 October 2013

This place was pretty bad. I have stayed in many hostels but this place had no vibe, no atmosphere and the staff were complete ends of the bell. Albuquerque is a class place, especially the old town and all the Breaking Bad film locations but this hostel is well worth avoiding. They have a chore system where you have to empty ash trays, wash up after other people etc etc! Seriously? Any other hostel in the world i have been to, people clean up after themselves. Fair enough but it seemed that it was only the staff who made a mess knowing that guests would clean up after them. The rest of the guests (as we did) cleaned up as we went along (as I and any backpacker I have ever met does). Such a shame. This place has potential to be great, pitty it aint. Yeooo!

Room Tip: Advice for a good room? Go somewhere else. Pitty hostels are VERY limited in number in Albuquerque...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kyle_Ferguson
Reviewed 17 August 2013

I was wonderfully surprised by Tom's knowledge of the Southwest US and wish I had more time to spend with him. I think if I had stayed longer he would've kept throwing fun ideas of what to do in the area.

Free pancakes and eggs you cook for yourself was awesome!

There was no A/C unit, but I happened to be traveling with a floor fan so I slept well. I would recommend bringing a fan if you can, their fan wasn't very good.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank VictoriousCM
Reviewed 29 June 2013

My experience at this hostel was really very good. I stayed at this hostel for 8 or 9 days total during late May and early June. The staff was very friendly with me and many of them seemed eager to converse. I had to change my itinerary twice and the staff was very flexible regarding these changes. While I was there, the vibe was very friendly and the environment was very comfortable. I would recommend this hostel to my friends.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank rone191
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Though the staff was icy at times, this was one of the coolest hostels I had the pleasure of visiting. The rates were reasonable for the dorms and the private rooms and, though it was quiet, the guests were very cordial with one another at breakfast. The property itself is beautiful, set in an old fashioned spanish style manor and the location is very central to downtown, the old city and the train station. Don't listen to the naysayers, it was a fine place.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo