“Great Place to stay in Albuquerque” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Route 66 Hostel

and 1 more site!
Route 66 Hostel
florida
“Great Place to stay in Albuquerque”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2009

Stayed here during the first weekend of the Balloon Fiesta and really enjoyed my stay. Met a lot of very cool and interesting guests. Everyone in the staff were extremely nice and accommodating, with the minor exception of the woman named Anna who was rather sarcastic and not helpful at all. Other than her, this place was full of postive energy and was definitely a great place to stay. A highly recommend this hostel to anyone travelling to Albuquerque.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
US
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2009

My friend and I stayed there one night - we found bites on our bodies and live bedbugs in our suitcases the next morning. We canceled our next night, and were promised a refund (for the already paid second night, refunding a night which gave us bed bugs seemed ludicrous to the staff). Furthermore, I only received the refund for the unused night after 3 follow up phone calls on different dates, and my friend following up in person. When following up via phone, 'Tom/Tim, can't remember exact name, was less than concerned, simply curt. Other staff were apologetic, but implied they weren't culpable because the bedbugs were the fault of another reviewer (see review by 'QuitTheForest').

It was a huge inconvenience to quarantine, wash, re-wash, sanitize luggage, etc. at the beginning of a week-long trip. I am also concerned about taking this infestation home and infecting our households. The most annoying part is that they admitted they'd had a problem with bedbugs in the very room they rented out, and had only done piecemeal treatments with organic chemicals on specific parts of the room. They don't care about you, much less your health.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank PMG01

Travellers are raving about these Albuquerque hotels

Morgantown, West Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2009

(After over 20 separate stays in a variety of in a variety of locales, Route 66 Hostel has garnered the distinction of being my very first negative review...not even the Venice hostel that accidentally double-booked and caused us to spend a sleepless night in their common room got a negative review...so that should really tell you something...)

We were in town for a literature symposium the last week of February 2009 and decided to stay at this hostel...we love hostels and have stayed at numerous ones in Europe, Asia and North America that were wonderful...plus the rates for private rooms were good and the staff seemed friendly and helpful. We decided to stay and booked a four-night stay in a private room.

We were checked in upon arrival by a very helpful and friendly gentleman and shown to our room, which was a little more run-down than the images shown on the website. Regardless, we aren't too picky about that kind of thing and were happy to check in and get some sleep for a busy day that began with the opening plenary at 8:00 AM sharp at a conference center 20 minutes away. However, upon waking up we both discovered bed bug bites all over our arms and bodies. We were really dismayed and decided to hurry up and get ready, go to our conference and then speak to the staff in the afternoon or evening about it. When we returned in the evening (before 9:00 pm), we spoke to the young woman at the front desk and were treated very inconsiderately. She tried to imply that we may just be allergic to the detergent used in cleaning the sheets, that we were imagining things, or that we had been bitten by mosquitoes or some such and hadn't realized it. Then she told us no other rooms were available and that there was nobody else to call and nothing else to be done until the next morning. After we expressed extreme revulsion at the thought of another night spent in bug-infested bedding, she told us we could PAY for the individual beds in the dorm rooms that night (in addition to our own unusable room). As it was getting late and as I was presenting my own session at 8:00 AM, we didn't have many options...she was barely slowing down on her way out the door by this time...so we went upstairs for a moment to discuss what to do, came back downstairs and found the office locked up and this staffer completely disappeared. We then spent a sleepless night sitting on hard chairs in the bedbug room...still managing to be bitten on our feet and ankles although this time we were able to spot and kill several bugs. I also ran into another staffer making a late-night snack in the kitchen who told me that there had been a problem several months back with bedbugs...interesting, given the other staffer's reaction to our news...

The following morning I went to the conference and presented my research while Ryan went back to the hostel to talk to the day manager. Ryan was treated in an incredibly rude and insulting manner by this individual - not only did this rude man outright question Ryan's recounting of facts, he also told Ryan that we were imagining things and that there were no bedbugs, to which Ryan showed him on his body the bites welting up and then brought out the little corpses of the bugs we had found the night before, at which point this piece of work then IMPLIED THAT WE HAD BROUGHT THE BEDBUGS WITH US TO THE HOSTEL! UNBELIEVABLE! Then he told Ryan that not only would we not be getting another room, but that our pre-paid lodging would not be refunded because WE SHOULD HAVE REQUESTED A DIFFERENT ROOM THE FIRST NIGHT! We only discovered the bedbugs while sleeping (they usually only come at night), but not only that...there was not a staff member in the front office 24/7 (the office shuts down sometime after 10:00 PM, it seems). There was no way we could have done that! He accused Ryan of trying to sneak one over on the hostel and was, in general, incredibly brash and rude. When Ryan told him that another staffer had filled us in about their bedbug problem, he just grumbled and tried to denigrate that bit of information, too.

Eventually Ryan was able to speak to an older women who was actually quite kind and apologetic (the owner?), and we were refunded the money from the second night BUT NOT THE FIRST. We left that day and found another hotel because this hostel was still unable to give us another room or a different mattress (bedbugs, once in a mattress, are impossible to get out...it's a process that can take huge chemical washes and up to a year of disuse).

Although many of the staff were very helpful and kind, and in spite of the good location, interesting look to the building, and awesome free eggs/toast/oatmeal in the kitchen for breakfast, the bedbugs and their staff's way of dealing with this by manipulation, deceit and denial made our stay here incredibly unpleasant. Plus I'm not convinced they will actually take the steps necessary to get rid of this very serious problem. If you stay in a private room, be aware that you will probably be infested. This entire hostel needs to be closed down for a week for a top-to-bottom cleaning chemical wash to get rid of this problem. I hope this happens. The hostel itself is cute and many of the staff seemed very nice - it would be a shame to allow this kind of attitude and upkeep continue. Perhaps they should consider hiring professional cleaners - it's obvious that leaving most of the chores up to the guests themselves isn't getting it done.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank QuitTheForest
Ithaca
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2008

I came in late into town and needed a place for one night while I dropped my daughter off at college. What a mistake. I usually stay in low end places, but the hostel was beyond anything I have ever experienced. I had been camping (and wished I had that night too) so I just wanted a good nights sleep.
The bed was so disgusting, no heat in room (February), I used a sleeping bag to cover the blankets because they did not look clean. Room smelled like someone had peed in it, and the floor was coated with really gross who knows what. I wore shoes on the floor at all times. The place has no insulation, so be prepared to hear EVERYTHING going on upstairs and down.
Bathroom had brown gunk over everything from not being cleaned ever. Needless to say, I left very early the next morning without showering. I needed fresh air and heat. Go somewhere else, if you're smart!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — dirty
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank vfm78
uk
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2008

Arrived at the hostel around 9.pm having phoned atound a half hour before to check availablilty. Directions to the hostel were poor and even when I phoned for more detailed info, the woman who answered was vague.
Once we arrived we asked to look at a room. We were blankly told 'no, you can;t look.' We were shocked to say the least and asked why not. The woman on duty just simply said that we couldn't look. We declined the room, having encountered many motels and hostels that were simply unacceptable. I asked for whom she worked, but she refused to tell me. I found her rude and completely indifferent.
Thye place looked dirty and uncared for and I wondered what it was she was hiding . No way would I stay anywhere without either a recommendation or by looking at the room.

Stayed November 2008
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2008

I really liked the hostel. I enjoy meeting other travelers, and also having the kitchen available for cooking. The place was clean and the staff were friendly. I liked the location close to downtown and old town (walking distance). I may actually take a train in next time, and it is only about 10 blocks from the train and bus stations.

I see that some people leaving reviews wanted the Hyatt for twenty bucks a night, but let’s face it, that isn’t going to happen. This is a good value, and it is clean. If you don’t require room service this is worth the money.

• Liked — Location, Cost
  • Disliked — The Stairs
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank mike50401
Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2008

Just a 5 block walk to downtown, this centrally-located hostel seemed to promise much. Justin was great and so helpful-he recommended a terrific little diner for lunch, and gave me a great tour of the place. It is a hostel, so there are mandatory chores, no TVs/phones/bathrooms in private rooms/dorms.

Pluses--Unbeatable location, cheap dorms, no curfew, Justin.

I had a privatre room. Like a lot of hostels, it could use some plain-old TLC. The 5 mismatched curtains/drapes/window sheets in my room were stapled to the wall, the in-room closet that formerly served as a kitchen still dripped nasty brown water into its stained sink, the plastic cover on my matress crinkled and squeaked, tons of hair/pubes all over the blankets, dirty, scummy floors and the porch/yard was nasty.

Minuses--Nasty shared bathrooms, gross bedding, clanging radiators and the narrow, dangerous stairwell, kitchen is gross.

• Stayed February 2008, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)