“Fine if you get a substantially discounted price...”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Albuquerque Airport - Univ Area
Ranked #88 of 143 Hotels in Albuquerque
Reviewed 12 February 2014

As frequent visitors to the area, we are often in the position of staying in Albuquerque airport hotels. Our recent stay was the first at this particular property and was the result of booking at a deep discount through a third party travel site. So, the price was too good to pass up.

This seems to be a very family-oriented hotel, given the indoor pool and the presence of lots of kids in the lobby area. Depending on your perspective, this can be a positive or a negative. Fortunately, we did not have any problems with kids running up and down the halls or making excessive noise. The front desk staff was pleasant enough, if not overwhelmingly friendly.

The issues we had were with the room. It was reasonably sized and seemed pretty clean. But, when we walked in, I noticed the tiniest pillows I have ever seen on a bed. Even though there were four of them, they looked like tiny throw pillows on the king-sized bed. Having stayed at many hotels and having purchased many bed pillows in my life, I laughed because I assumed a mistake had been made. After all, throw pillows and bed pillows are not the same things. I immediately called the front desk to ask if the maids had accidentally left off the bed pillows and was told, to my complete shock, that all of the pillows were that size on purpose and that no actual bed pillows were available. The front desk did send up an extra pair of small pillows at my request, which helped slightly (they were even marginally bigger than the others). But watching TV in the bed was uncomfortable, let alone sleeping. The bed itself was also less comfortable than other chain hotels.

The bathroom had an odd layout, with the shower tucked into a dark corner with no escape for the steam. As a result, the ceiling looked damaged and moldy. Overall, the bathroom looked cheaper and plainer than the actual room and was not being kept in top-notch condition.

Our stay here was adequate given the very low price we paid. Had I paid even a few dollars more, however, I would have been disappointed. We have had better experiences with other nearby hotels. I would have given it two-and-a-half stars if possible.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Albuquerque Airport - Univ Area, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Dear Andrea W,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the accommodations you received prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 23 January 2014

Just another Holiday Inn with small pillows. Fair fitness center, unhappy bartender and nothing nearby. Rooms are ok. Everything is really average but the price is ok if you don't care about location or the food. Drive to a restaurant or order in. Do not eat at the hotel restaurant.

Room Tip: top floor, non connecting, away from elevator.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jim N
Sabina K, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Albuquerque Airport - Univ Area, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Dear Jim N,

On behalf of our team I would like to thank you for taking your time and thoroughly reviewing every aspect of your experience at our property. Our Management team takes every review very seriously as our guest's feedback is the main guidance for us on how we are doing.
I would also like to take this chance to let you know that we will be replacing all existing pillows with new ones this year and hopefully you will be able to enjoy them more.

We are looking forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

The staff at this hotel were just excellent. The suite was perfect for the family with a fold down double bed in the living room and a king bed in the bedroom. Everything was very clean and the maid service was excellent.

I chose this place primarily for its pool and hot tub. The indoor pool was not very warm and hot tub was "temporarily" out of order - in fact the whole time we were there. This was disappointing. Normally I don't use this kind of thing as I arrive at midnight and leave at 7am but on a family trip one wants facilities like this to work or not be advertised.

It was kind of strange staying at the airport but it worked out great for visiting Sandia Peak, Santa Fe etc. The hot tub situation felt like I had been ripped off to tell the truth as I kept looking at hotels when we were driving around, wondering if they had a warm pool and a hot hot-tub.

Room Tip: The suites are worth the extra few bucks
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear PeterParkChong,

Please allow me this opportunity to express my sincere apologies regarding the issues you have faced during your recent stay with us. We strive to make every guest feel welcome and appreciated when they stay with us and want them to come back in the future. I apologize that the pool was not working properly during your recent stay and that the issue could not be fixed at the time. I would also like to reassure you that we have fixed the heater and it is in working condition now.
Should you be planning another trip to Albuquerque, please contact me directly, so that I can ensure your stay goes smooth and make up for the problems you have faced during your last visit.

Thank you very much for taking your time and reviewing your experience with us and we are looking forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed 22 December 2013

I stayed here in December while working in Albuquerque for a week. Overall the hotel was fine. It was super close to the airport and entrance to the freeway. It had an on-site cafe that was open late and had good nachos, pool & spa, a friendly people at the front desk. Quiet too.

I used the wireless internet during my entire stay. It was pretty reliable, although sometimes it slowed way down for a few minutes.

When I first entered the room, I noticed my shower light was out. The shower in my room was different than I expected. It didn't have a tub under it. Rather, you walk in, take a right turn and there is the shower. It does eliminate the need for a shower curtain. However, it does need a light or it's pretty dark there. I called the front desk within the first 5 minutes from the room and the front desk said they'd take care of it. I then mentioned it to the manager the 2nd day- he put it on the list. I called later in the day and the front desk said it was on the list. So I showered in the dark for the next 3 days. Moral of the story is-- if your room isn't just the way you want it upon check-in, you might want to change rooms, because they don't seem to be in any hurry to fix issues.

Otherwise- good stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank bwilley77
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Albuquerque Airport - Univ Area, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Dear bwilley77,

I appreciate that you took the time to leave our property a review. I am happy our location was suitable for your needs and you found our staff to be friendly. I regret the issues you encountered with the room's shower facility. We take all reviews negative or positive very seriously and your feedback will help us improve our efforts.

We are hoping to have the opportunity to host you again should your travels bring you back to the area.

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 10 November 2013

The hotel was your typical Holiday Inn fare. It was nice, clean, and well attended to. The service for shuttles was excellent. The food situation was a little strange. I ate dinner in the restaurant one night, and wanted a drink, but had to go into the bar and buy my own drink and take it to the table in the dining room. Not sure what was up with that? The food was good - had a chille relent. Breakfast buffet was fine because it came with the stay, but if I would have had to pay for it, it was not well attended to, nor worth what they charge for it.

Room Tip: The even numbered rooms don't face the airport, so that may be the side to ask for. It wasn'...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Thank N. J. M
Sabina K, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Albuquerque Airport - Univ Area, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Dear N. J. M.,

Thank you for taking your time and reviewing your experience at our hotel. We are glad to hear that you found the shuttle service helpful and enjoyed your dinner at Sunport Grille.

It is very important for us to get an insight from our guests on which areas need improvement. We will make sure to work on providing smoother service at our restaurant.

Again, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us and we are looking forward to having you stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 3 October 2013

Front desk staff were great and the room was wonderful. Really enjoyed the walk in shower there. It was quite unique. I couldn't have been any happier with the service and the cleanliness of the grounds and hotel. Definitely suggest staying at this hotel if you are in the area. This place is much better than the other hotels around the same area and super close to the airport so the shuttle was quick and easy.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Sandra M, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Albuquerque Airport - Univ Area, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Dear L SUE F,

On behalf of our team we would like to thank you for your kind words on our staff and our hotel. We strive to exceed our guest's expectations and it is rewarding to hear when we have done so.

We hope to see you soon again!

Reviewed 15 August 2013

My husband and I stayed at this Holiday Inn while traveling to the Grand Canyon. We picked up a hotel coupon book when we went over the New Mexico state line. They had a coupon in the book for a walk-in rate and seemed to have availability when other Holiday Inn Express' were full. They honored the coupon rate and we got in our room very easily. This hotel is only 10 minutes or so off of I-25 (without traffic) and was very close to the airport. I felt safe parking our car overnight and we even ventured out to a local Starbucks in Nob Hill, which felt very trendy. We did notice the next morning that the sheets had pulled off the bed, this could be due to their mattress pads (it didn't bother me). I loved that they used Bath & Body Works line of soaps & bath items. We would stay at this location again for a stopover!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Sandra M, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Albuquerque Airport - Univ Area, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2013

Dear Renee,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on our property with us! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and will keep us in mind for your future travels.

Sirector of Sales