“Used to be my favorite business travel hotel in ABQ”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Albuquerque Airport - Univ Area
Ranked #94 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
CENTENNIAL
“Used to be my favorite business travel hotel in ABQ”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I have had to go to ABQ for work for about 14 years. I've stayed in this location because it's right next to the rental car return by the airport, so it was easy. Time was that they recognized me as soon as I walked in the door and I recognized them. Not that we necessarily knew each other's names, but we knew each other and they used to greet me warmly. The rooms were fairly well maintained, beds were comfy, etc. The front desk person handed me my goodie bag and thanked me for being an elite member. Always nice to be appreciated.

Last time I stayed there, maybe March or April of this year, the kid behind the counter was new...hey seemed to always be new in my last handful of visits. He checks me in, seemed like he was trying very hard (confirming my suspicion that he was new?), Hanes me my key and started to send me on my way. I asked him where my goodie bag was and he told me that I didn't qualify for it. It really just irritated me. Over the last several years, I have faithfully stayed at this property (unless I was attending a conference at another brand/property) and I have watched the front desk people turn over, the maintenance of the property deteriorate, and the quality of service fall off.

I can't say that I won't stay there again, but I have opted to stay at some other local hotels trying to find my new "business home away from home."

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Sabina K, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Albuquerque Airport - Univ Area, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Kelly R,

Please allow me this opportunity to express my sincere apologies regarding your last stay with us. As a loyal customer of ours we value your opinion and your feedback is very important to us. We recognize all our members and thank them for their continued loyalty and patronage. I checked the system and I see that you have been a very frequent guest of ours and we greatly appreciate your business. However, your IHG status in our system is Base member. We used to greet all our members regardless of status with a goodie bag - and it was our hotel's initiative. From January this year IHG came out with new guidlines in order to make the services consistent across all the hotels and we are no longer allowed to give our own goodie bags. Only Gold and Platinum members get a choice of snack. This being said, if you are a Gold or Platinum member we need to fix this issue with IHG Rewards Club in order for your reservations to load the correct information.

We are currently going through renovation of all our guest rooms and I hope the rooms will be up to your standards again.

I hope you give us another chance to serve you again in the future.

Sabina Khusainova

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I stayed at this Hotel in April which is nice, clean, and very well kept.

BIG However!!!!
Upon checkout I got my receipt which showed I was being charged for smoking. I asked the front desk manager about the charge and he said "you were smoking in the hallway during the night while sitting in a lawn chair and you smoked in your room." So, I asked him how do you even know what I look like because you weren't here when I checked in, and how do you know it wasn't another guest? He said "because we know it was you that was smoking." They charged me $200!

So, after speaking to the front desk I headed back to my room and asked a maid if she smelt smoke in my room, she said "No", so I asked her to call the front desk and she did, she told them she didn't smell smoke. I then returned to the front desk and the guy still wouldn't remove the charge because AJ the manager told him to charge me. By the way Aj would never call me or contact me.

A week later.....I wrote Holiday Inn corporate and they told me they couldn't do anything for me because this is a franchise and they recommended I dispute the charge with my credit card company. However, AJ sent them a response saying the their tobacco detector detected smoke in my room. Tobacco detector???? Never heard of such a thing.

I disputed the charge with the Credit Card company and lost.

Holiday Inn is usually a great hotel. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank J C
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Albuquerque Airport - Univ Area, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear J C,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am very disappointed to hear about your experience on your stay. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. I have sent you a private message to obtain additional details regarding your stay. I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Warm Regards,

Charisse V
Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Whoever designed this place should be thrashed severely. There are no good parking spots at this hotel. There is not enough parking and there are not enough entrances into the building so you always have to walk a long ways to get in. Other than that it is a decent place to stay.

Room Tip: Parking is a problem especially if you have a large vehicle.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Albuquerque Airport - Univ Area, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Dan R,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I am pleased to know that you found our hotel a decent place to stay. I am disappointed to know you did not enjoy your overall experience with us, and apologize for the parking situation. Thank you for bringing this up to our attention and rest assured, these issues will be looked into. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Best Regards,

Charisse V
Portola Hills, CA
Reviewed 29 May 2014

The Hotel is certainly located with great convenience to the Albuquerque Sunport. Overall, the grounds and lobby seemed clean and well organized. My room, however, was not up to even Motel 6 standard. Broken and sticking furniture, closet doors, lopsided drawers, and a very very filthy dirty tub. I like a bath after long day of working this dustbowl called Albuquerque, and the tub in my room turned out to be a health hazard. As soon as I turned on what appeared to be a jacuzzi system, huge black flocks of mold and dirt escaped, which was a very very disgusting experience. In addition, the walls of this hotels are so poorly insulated, that I left the room as to not disturb the privacy of my next door neighbor. He did have aloud voice, but nevertheless, I could hear everything he said on the phone. Which tells me that the rooms have zero privacy, acoustically. I would never ever return to this hotel, for that reason alone. Add the other issues, and the somewhat inflated price, then this will not be on my favorite's list. I moved to a best Western from there, just down the street, for less money and into a perfectly clean environment. The breakfast and food at this Holiday inn were generic and just below mediocre. Sorry, but this place needs a major boost in quality and cleanliness. Other amenities, such as shuttle and their pool area might be great, but I did not take advantage of those.

Room Tip: Inspect your room carefully, and reject it if it is not clean and functional. Be aware that your nei...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Uwe S
Sabina K, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Albuquerque Airport - Univ Area, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Please allow me this opportunity to apologize for the inconveniences you have experienced during your stay. It is very unfortunate we have failed to meet your expectations and to live up to our standards. I would really appreciate it if you could send me an email sales@holidayinnabq.com or give me a call (505) 944-2255, so that we can take a note of what room you were in and take appropriate action in order to prevent this situation from happening again.

Again, we are really sorry that you were not able to enjoy your stay with us and we appreciate your valuable feedback that we can use as guidance for improvements in the future.

Visalia, California
Reviewed 25 May 2014

This hotel was everything we could expect. The room was larger than most of our other hotel choices in NM. It was clean and comfortable while also having all amenities we wanted. The A/C unit was old and noisy. The staff were generally helpful. The breakfast selections were good and included a pancake making machine! We had not previously stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, but we will certainly do so in the future. The room rates seemed moderate to us. We had earlier in this NM vacation stayed at a Marriot chain in Albuquerque that failed, in our opinion, to meet any of our standards.

Room Tip: Our room was on the third floor. It was quiet and comfortable. The only noise was from a room air...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Durango, Colorado
Reviewed 20 May 2014

This is our 2nd year staying here for 2 different nights at the beginning and end of our vacation trip. The thing I like the most is how accommodating they are with airport transportation, the shuttle runs from 4:30am to midnight which works for most ABQ flights and they even picked us up at 11:55 pm. We have to drive to ABQ & fly out so we leave our vehicle here and it’s just as we left it. It costs about the same as airport parking and it sure is nice to go straight to Hotel after flight delays and all-day travel.
The Hotel is clean and looks updated, the staff was very accommodating and there is restaurant, lounge, coffee bar, store (all open limited hours). It was a little difficult to find our first time but we’ve got it now (exit freeway, left on Sunport Blvd, right lane, left on University Blvd, left on Woodward Rd) you can also see it from freeway.
Both nights our room was above front desk (on different floors), right off hall from ice/vending machines and elevator which is convenient and was unexpectedly quiet. We had a king bed with small couch (nice to have a place for the two of us to sit) and there is also a refrigerator & microwave which we always appreciate. The bed, linens and pillows were all comfortable as well as the overall feel of the room as it has most of the amenities you would want (large TV, desk, Wifi, luggage stool, closet, mirror, iron/board, coffee). The bathroom has a walk-in shower (no bathtub), decent size vanity top and obscured toilet (it’s behind big bathroom door). There is also an indoor pool & Jacuzzi area that is very nice.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Sabina K, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Albuquerque Airport - Univ Area, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear RockinRobin55,

On behalf of our entire team I would like to thank you for taking your time and reviewing your recent stay with us. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoy staying with us! For your information - if you would like a room with a tub instead of a walk in shower - our two queen rooms have a tub and our two-room Suites feature a jetted tub.

We are looking forward to serving you again in the future!

ww13
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I had read how difficult this hotel was to find. That's not exactly accurate. You can see it clearly, but the GPS instructions will lead you astray. When I came off the highway, I made the mistake of thinking the turn was a left, but it was a right. That error led me into the airport. After taking that loop, you still can't enter the hotel parking. I had to make a U turn and take that right. However, coming off the ramp, the GPS said take a left and a left. That put me back on the dead end where I did the U-Turn. You must go past the hotel before turning Left. That said, the hotel looked pretty enough when I entered. Check-in was ok, but I was too early for the grill to have opened. I had to get food off site. The room was pretty, thought the little sofa wasn't very comfortable. The clearance of the bathroom door was tight and the bathroom layout was a little odd. Huge shower but slippery floor inside. The biggest problem I had was the combination fridge/microwave. It rattled intermittently all night. I even tried turning it off, hoping that would stop the noise, but it didn't. I ended up putting the heat/AC on fan only to drown it out. I left very early in the morning and was disappointed to see the Starbuck's counter in the lobby had no one staffing it. All in all, not much different than a more basic hotel. Just disappointing, overall. I would give 2.5 but that's not an option.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank ww13
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Albuquerque Airport - Univ Area, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear ww13 (ww13),

Thank you for your review and for enumerating the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. I am delighted to hear that you liked our room and that check in was okay. Whilst I am pleased with your good reviews,I truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity to improve on our service. I am sorry for the inconvenience you have encountered with the fridge and microwave, not to mention the Starbuck’s counter in the lobby with no staff. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

Again, thank you for your review and we hope you do choose to give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations in the future.

Kind Regards,