“Smartest Place in Town”
Review of Elaine's

Elaine's
Reserve with OpenTable
Elaine's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #108 of 1,777 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: If you're looking for an elegant yet eclectic dining experience in Albuquerque, look no further than Elaine's in Nob Hill. Serving dishes inspired by local tastes, chef Andrew Gorski uses innovative cooking techniques to create new and exciting combinations.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Smartest Place in Town”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Elaine’s is the smartest place for dining in town. From the décor to the ambiance to the cuisine. It can be quiet early, or have a nice buzz later on. The menu is crisp, clear and the flavors cover the gamut from outright mouth-watering to the sublime. Chef Gorski presents great flavors, colors and textures that some would consider taking risks, but which we think is just giving the Albuquerque palette a chance to move to the next level. The wines are intelligently selected, and the intimate bar at the back beckons if you just want a nice glass and an appetizer (though the chances are that you will want to stay for more after one or two bites). We have dined at Elaine’s twice and each time come away totally satisfied. It has been described as a place for special occasions, but we disagree. It is a smart place, the smart place, to dine anytime, all the time. We can’t wait to go back, and won’t.

• Visited June 2014
Elaine B, Owner at Elaine's, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Wow, this review simply made our day! We're thrilled to be described as a smart place to dine and are so happy you think we're appropriate for all occasions -- we agree. Your comments about Chef Gorski's delicious dishes are invigorating to hear, so we'll make sure he knows how highly you think of his cuisine and palette! It's equally wonderful that you were impressed with the wine selections; we're always striving to get them just right. We can't wait to have you come back and try more of our menu!

Hope to see you soon,

Albuquerque
“New Nob Hill Gem”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We are usually reluctant to drive to Nob Hill for a Saturday night dinner, since parking can be a hassle, but this, our first trip to Elaine's, was well worth it (coming early helps). This is a small venue, nicely decorated, except the tables for two along each wall (including ours) lacked tablecloths. The menu is limited (5 starters, 5 veggies, 5 entrees, 4 desserts) but very creative. Expect some different and intriguing tastes. The kohlrabi soup and young greens were excellent, as were our cod and pork entrees. Presentation is artful and portion sizes modest but filling. The service is leisurely, attentive and well-paced. Unfortunately, the wine list does not quite measure up to the quality of the food and is a bit overpriced. Our pinot noir was very good, but served too warm. Selections include both New and Old World wines from recent vintages, with about 75 bottles to choose from and 16 wines by the glass.

• Visited May 2014
Elaine B, Owner at Elaine's, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
I'm so happy to hear you made it out to see us despite the parking issues! Your feedback is both constructive and well-informed, so thanks for taking the time to leave it. It's important to remember our menu is seasonal, so it changes multiple times during the year. Despite it being small, depending on when you come, there is always something new to try!

That being said, I'm sorry to hear you thought our wine didn't match the quality of our food. I'll be sure to look at our stock and the way we serve it to make sure everything is cohesive and equally impressive.

I hope you'll come by again soon. We now have our summer menu out and thus, new options to choose from!

Best,
Santa Fe
“Almost, but not quite five.”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

My fiancé and I shared dinner with another couple this past Saturday night. First, I will say that Elaine's is a great addition to the Nob Hill dining scene. The restaurant is small, but nicely arranged. We had, perhaps, the best table in the restaurant which was next to the window looking out on Central. Our server was diligent and helpful, although maybe a bit intimidated by our questions about the menu. I don't understand why sweet breads are on the menu, but I asked for an order for the table. Enough said about that. The restaurant served a delicious and complimentary mini-sopapilla bread appetizer with honey butter.

As a salad/vegetable we shared the gnocchi, and taste of spring salad, both of which were very good. I would return for the gnocchi. The salad was no better than you would expect.

The wine selection is fine as far as I'm concerned. The oenophiles in our group (there were two of them) were less impressed. But we had a nice bottle of Malbec on top of the opening rounds of wine by the glass.

Now, the entrees. Two of us had Beef Cross Rib. One had the Atlantic Cod, and one the Duck. I have two observations that are "negative." First, and foremost, the entrees were not served hot. They were lukewarm. Everyone at the table agreed that the temperature detracted. Second, the portions were on the small side, particularly the Atlantic Cod. That said, each entrees was nicely presented and delicious.

The only dessert I can recommend is Elaine's s'mors. I would go back for that. The lemon tart was ok, but not spectacular. The banana crème brulee could be really good if it had been prepared properly. It was watery, and we weren't charged for it (even though I spooned up every last drop).

Elaine herself warmly thanked us for patronizing her restaurant as we were on our way out the door. I will check out Elaine's again, and hope to see continuing tweaking and improvement.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank SpezSantaFe
Elaine B, Owner at Elaine's, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Thanks so much for leaving this constructive feedback! Your comments about the temperature of the dishes, the portions, and the wine have been noted, and I will go over them with the chef. Other than that, I'm so pleased you enjoyed dining with us. We have switched to our summer menu since you wrote your review, and we'd love to have you in to try it!

All the best,
Elaine
“Not friendly to vegetarians”
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

It's well-known that vegetarians love a fine meal in a charming restaurant. Sadly my experiences at Elaine's have been high on the charming (+ nice wines) but almost hostile to those of us who don't eat meat or fish. They aren't able (or willing?) to modify the menu to put together something vegetarian. I understood that Elaine's was revising its menu for spring, that the owner knew her restaurant had been reviewed as vegetarian unfriendly. So I'd hoped there'd be something other than a salad they could offer the vegetarian palate on their spring menu. But alas. That's all they have to offer. Oh, and a nice wine list. C'est domage.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank AlbuquerqueKSM
Elaine B, Owner at Elaine's, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
It's disappointing to hear you found us to be hostile toward the needs of vegetarians. That's definitely not the kind of service or experience we want anyone to have with us! Unfortunately, our dishes are created to be extremely well balanced in taste and texture, so that means substitutions are often difficult to do. However, we have switched to our summer menu and have many delicious, fresh vegetables available. I hope you'll stop by to check it out soon!

Best,
Albuquerque, NM
“Seriously, Albuquerque”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

This is the best restaurant in Albuquerque right now. I love Artichoke, and have enjoyed lots of nice dinners in the Duke City, and I am not a snob. I am delighted with pizza at Farina, burgers at Holy Cow, and frankly, a breakfast burrito at the Frontier. But if you want a lovely and amazing night out, go here first. I loved my Lo Frieda tartare and gnocchi, and even became a convert to Brussels sprouts thereby. Dining partner loved his AWESOME beet/frisée/lardon salad (a thing of true beauty) and pork belly entree. Everything was succulent, gorgeous presentation, atmosphere makes you feel way cooler than you maybe are (true for us anyhow). Perfect service, no pretension but plenty of warmth. So, SERIOUSLY, Albuquerque. Please patronize and adore Elaine's. You will be so very glad you did.

• Visited February 2014
Elaine B, Owner at Elaine's, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Wow, Virginia! Being called the best in Albuquerque is a true honor, and I'm delighted by the distinction. If you didn't know, we have a seasonal menu, so we've been through some changes since you left your review in February. If you haven't been by to experience our new summer dishes, I'd love for you to come try them!

Hope to see you soon,