“Hiway House Great Location Everything you need good value”
Review of Hiway House Motel

Hiway House Motel
Ranked #88 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Reviewed 4 October 2010

I did read the reviews and was a little worried, but as soon as I arrived and checked in I was really pleased. I stayed for just over 3 weeks as I settled my son into UNM. The Motel is central in Nob hill great eating places,bars and shops. The staff - its family run were friendly and helpful. The room was cleaned every day by Paul and you never wanted for anything.
For the price and location you can't go wrong.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank boo5
There are newer reviews for Hiway House Motel

Reviewed 9 July 2010

I made the mistake of writing a favorable review based on a 2009 stay. Here it goes second time around. This motel appears to be in decline. The room itself was adequate, however there were major bathroom problems. The worst being the bath didn't drain properly. After three days of zero bathroom cleaning it was looking pretty nasty. The cleaning staff who appeared to be the motel's general handy-man didn't seem bothered about this.
It's too bad it's like this. Under the right management this place should do well given the great location. (Walk out to the restaurants on Central Av and to UNM).
Only considering staying here if you want an experience and have no car. Otherwise pick a hotel elsewhere and drive in for meals/evenings out.
This rerview is based on 2 stays of 3 days each.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank oc629
Reviewed 4 January 2010

Paid for a one week stay. The room was a snap shot in time from the early 60's, unfortunately that was the last time anything was done except for minimal cleanining. I slept on top of the sheets with blankets I supplied. I received new (fresh?) towels on my last day.
When the tolilet backed up I was rudely awakened by a screaming women, who was sleeping on the lounge chair in the office when I checked in (Boy can she snore).
.The Knob Hill neighborhood is wonderful with resturaunts, eclectic stores and entertainment. If your after some material for a short story, give it a shot (be sure to verify room rates, as they seem to vary from day to day).

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank NewbeeSouthwest
Reviewed 4 August 2009

Have to stay in this place because it was the only the conference paid for. Location is the only good thing about it. Very noisy. Very few and small towels. This was non-smoking room, but it has strong tobacco smell (maybe coming from outside, the windows didn't seem to keep neither noise nor smoke out.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 March 2009

It's an old Route 66 type motel, but the rooms have been somewhat updated. The bathroom area is still old fixtures, but the bed area furniture was new. Overall it was clean enough and had a good location. Call to verify your reservation though. An old lady runs the place, and even though I made a reservation with her over the phone (remembered her voice) she did not have the reservation when we arrived. Luckily they were not full so it was not an issue.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sukhoi_584th
Reviewed 6 October 2007

We found this motel via Lonely Planet and liked the description of the neighborhood (Nob Hill). We stayed two nights, mainly because of the interesting surroundings--right in the heart of the college district and lots of fascinating shops/restaurants. The side streets all bordering this area of Rt 66 have interesting little houses, etc. also--it feels like it would be a great place to live.

However, this motel is in transition. It looks like they are renovating and the results will be great. However the place looked dumpy while we were there and our room looked ok but wasn't all that clean and I could swear I had a small flea jump on me while I was reading--they are 'pet-friendly' so this could be a side effect.

What kept me there a second night was the great location and ok price, not to mention my long experience with and relative tolerance for dives. I would be tempted to check them out again and see if they've improved--I don't think you can find a better location overall.

We ate at the old gas station/brewpub a few doors down, at the Mexican restaurant at the tram and at the restaurant at the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center. All meals were very enjoyable. There's a good haircut place across the street and down a bit, featuring discounted late night cuts as well as Cuban food--that was fun too.

The free hour-long walking tour from the Art and History museum was excellent--we had a great docent. Loved the museum and the old part of town as well--had an excellent breakfast at Church St cafe a block off the plaza. Ask for it at the visitor's center--beautiful outdoor patio in the back.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank TigerChai
Reviewed 16 July 2007

I stayed here for one night when I was attending a weekend event and didn't feel like driving back and forth to Santa Fe. The motel is located on an unattractive block of Central Avenue, close to the University of New Mexico and next door to a Korean restaurant. It looks kind of dumpy from the outside. But the room was clean. The decor was a bit strange--like something out of the late 1960s/early 1970s...it actually had shag carpet. But that didn't matter to me, as long as it was clean. It's walking distance to restaurants and Starburcks.

Stayed: June 2007