“Hair in my food, watery margaritas”
Review of Los Equipales - CLOSED

Los Equipales
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Highland Business
Cross street: 1 Block S. of Central and 2 Blocks East of Washington
Transit: Rapid Transit on Central Ave
Description: Family recipes prepared from scratch: is Los Equipales Restaurnat secret to offer the most exquisite and authentic Mexican seafood in Albuquerque such as Camarones a la Veracruzana, Tostadas de Huitlacoche, and Shrimp Enchiladas. Tantalize your senses with Mrs. Martinez's succulent -Chiles Rellenos, Pollo en Mole, and other mouth-watering family recipes. We're named one of the top best travel destinations by USA Today.
Reviewed 16 May 2013

My husband and I ate here three times about a year ago and have never gone back. We would go for lunch on a Saturday and were the only ones in the restaurant. The first two times we ordered the same fish dish, and on our second visit the portions were WAY smaller. The second time, we ordered a pitcher of margaritas to start, and it was so watery it tasted like nothing. Then my fish tacos came and there was a huge black hair sticking out from under one of them. I immediately brought this to the attention of the server and he asked if I wanted him to take it back. IF??? Due to the horrible service and quite obvious hair that had been left on my plate, I actually said no. I assumed they would just pull out the hair and bring it right back. Instead I ate around it. I was so mad, and nobody apologized or comped my meal or anything!!! This was the last time we ate here, and ever since, we've called it "Los Taco-Pelos" (the hair-tacos).

Reviewed 18 April 2013 via mobile

This Mexican restaurant had a good selection of interesting, unique, authentic dishes. I had Halibut medallions in a flavorful green sauce. My companion had their version of Mexican paella. Both dishes were very tasty, but for the price the portions were too small. The server was very nice.

Reviewed 4 April 2013

We went especially for hard-to-find huitlacoche, also known as corn mushroom, Mexican truffle or caviar Azteca and had quesillas and tostadas featuring this delicacy, along with scallops on the tostadas. We weren't disappointed as both were excellent as were all the other dishes. Seafood is a specialty here and we especially enjoyed the very fresh ceviche, delightfully served in tall Margarita glasses. Relaxed friendly atmosphere and excellent service and value. Don't miss this hidden gem for authentic high quality Mexican dining.

Reviewed 16 March 2013

Los Equipales is one of the hidden secrets of the Nob Hill/ENob area. Located in a renovated bank building across the street from Highland HS, you will find some of the best real Mexican dishes anywhere - not just chili and cheese enchiladas here folks. Fresh seafood and great service. Reasonable prices. We have been going there since it opened and have never been dis-appointed. I recommend the boracho garlic snapper...

Reviewed 21 February 2013

Los Equipales Restaurant, Albuquerque NM. This restaurant is located in a former drive-through bank building; you will notice its unusual shape when you arrive. It is one block south of Central Avenue, a main boulevard in the east side of Albuquerque. Washington is a cross street just a half block from the restaurant. We have eaten there about a dozen times. It specializes in Mexican-style seafood. My wife likes the camarones (shrimp dishes), but I usually order a specialty dish: mole poblano. It is a dark spicy sauce, most often served with chicken or other meat dishes. We lived in Puebla Mexico for a year while teaching there at a university; mole poblano is the local specialty. This sauce is served on many dishes, even over eggs. SB