“Warm and Relaxing Place to Stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Bottger Mansion of Old Town
Ranked #5 of 15 Albuquerque B&B and Inns
Stillwater, Oklahoma
“Warm and Relaxing Place to Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

My husband and I were traveling to Albuquerque on a spur of the moment decision, and we wanted somewhere nice to stay for the weekend. We found the Bottger online, but the website would not allow us to book a room on the same day. We called anyway, just to check. Steve was friendly and helpful; he told us they could book us a room, and gave us information on the options available. We stayed in the William Hazeldine room. It's a lovely room with a large bathroom, marble floors, and a comfortable bed. I enjoyed the Jacuzzi tub immensely after long days of walking around the city.

Breakfast was delicious both mornings, and both Steve and Kathy were full of restaurant recommendations and places to go around town. The house is pretty, and the decor is a good mix of antique and modern with none of that fussy feeling some B&Bs can have. They have guest parking in the lot across the street, so there's always a place for you to park while you're there. This is especially good since the Bottger is at the edge of Old Town, where parking is hard to find.

If we're in Albuquerque again, we'd definitely stay again!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Cottage Grove, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

We chose this B&B because of reviews on Tripadvisor. The location is perfect if you want to visit the Old Town Plaza and it's many good restaurants and shops. They are convenient to gas stations and car washes to those on driving trips. They also offer off street parking in a public lot across the street which worked out well for us. The B&B has their own assigned spots so there is no problem finding a place to park. We stayed here 2 nights in the Route 66 room and appreciated it's large size and private sun room. Unfortunately, we both felt like we were intruding on Kathy and Steve. Whenever we would ask for something, they'd give us a look like "do you really need that"? The breakfasts were fine but I don't drink coffee or tea. Each morning I was given a very small glass of orange juice. Not once was I asked if I wanted more even though my glass was empty. I had to ask for more juice each day and felt like they really didn't want to give me any more. We didn't realize this but each room has its own thermostat except for the Route 66 room. That room is controlled by the thermostat in the commons area. When we returned from our first day in Old Town, the room was very chilly and I told Steve about it. He showed me where the thermostat was and I noticed it was set around 68 degrees. As we had the sun room, I am sure that our room was cooler than that. Before going out to dinner that night (late October and chilly) we bumped the thermostat up to 71. When we returned, it had been turned back down to 68. We went to bed and the room kept getting colder. I finally got up about 2am and put all of my clothes back on and went back to bed to stay warm. When I asked Kathy if we could get more blankets the following morning, she first had to ask me which room I was in (why should that matter?) and then said we could have them. When I told her I had to put my clothes on to stay warm, her response was a laugh. She must have seen the look in my eyes as I was ready to leave then and there. When we were leaving for the day she said they would put an additional heater in our room. They were true to their word and our final night was fine. This was one of the 4 B&B's we stayed in on our driving trip and the only one we would most likely not visit again.

Room Tip: Avoid the Route 66 room if it is cold outside.
3 Thank StevoinMinnesoto
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

The Bottger was highly recommended by two friends. They were right. The Bottger is a short two blocks from the Old Town Plaza. There is free parking which can be important in Old Town. Our room had three beds and a private bath. The breakfasts are very good. The owners are very helpful with directions and travel advice. Plus they have excellent trip information on their website. We liked the common area with the fireplace.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
LB, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

The big advantage to a B&B over a hotel is the small size and personal service of the hosts. The Bottger Mansion had both in just the right amount. The historic home is interesting and comfortable, the hosts are most helpful, gracious, and knowledgeable. The food was great, and the other guests were excellent breakfast companions. The location right in Old Towne could not be more convenient and there was free parking across the street. From making balloon ride reservations to advising us on Sky City ( the Acoma Pueblo) our host truly made our visit pleasant. Thanks. We recommend this accommodation to all.

Room Tip: Some rooms can see balloons rising up at dawn I was told. I loved my corner room.
Quebec
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

We had a very nice stay at this excellent B&B. The"Tingley" room is a large room nicely decorated. thanks to Kathy for the excellent breackfasts that are different each day. We particularly appreciated the location so close to the Plaza and old town. There are many good restaurants nearby. Steve gave us many recommandations about those. We would have appreciate that they accept to keep our luggages one hour before the checking in time.

Room Tip: We recommend the "Tigley" room
Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

We stayed here twice -upon arrival in ABQ and just before flying home after a 2 week southwestern road trip. Kathy and Steve are excellent hosts! Our rooms were both clean, well appointed and comfortable. Each room had a bit of history written up about the mansion in its former life. Great to read as Bottger Mansion is actually in Old Town ABQ - just one block off the historic square. Breakfast our first morning was so yummy! My first taste of the many uses of chilies presented as a chili raspberry sauce for an egg soufflé . Excellent! Coffee, tea and fresh baked goods were available all day. It is obvious that both Kathy and Steve love what they do. They were a wealth of information and insider tips. They made dinner and trolly reservations for us which was most helpful! Upon returning to ABQ we were attending the Balloon Fiesta and our hosts had a Fiesta packet all ready for the guests. As one must arrive before dawn to see the balloon launch our hosts had healthy, bagged breakfasts packed and ready to go. (The launch was amazing!! A MUST see.) Steve and Kathy, thank you so much for a great stay! It was wonderful!

Room Tip: Slept in two rooms and both were great.
Tarpon Springs, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

We chose this B&B based on all the good TA reviews. It met all our requirements...clean, quiet, comfortable, & convenient. The hosts were very pleasant and we enjoyed their gourmet breakfasts. As the only place to stay in Old Town it was the perfect starting point for walking around town to visit the shops, Mission Church, Albuquerque Museum of Art & History, etc.

Room Tip: We stayed in the smaller Rodey room located on the second floor. The Huning & Tingley rooms were...
Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple