“Small Portions :(”

Banana Leaf
Ranked #407 of 1,802 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Reviewed 31 July 2012

The food here is delicioso and the atmosphere was more upscale than what I'm used to (i.e. chinese buffet). I started with an order of wontons and moved on to the lo mein with chicken, beef and shrimp. I was here with my family and miracle of miracles, we ALL finished our plates (that's unusual, especially for my wife and kids). I was still so hungry, I was tempted to order another entree but alas, the bill was high enough for me. Not sure if this is a new fad of "sensibly portioned" chinese dishes but I no likey :( Hey, maybe they actually care about my health and how much I gorge myself with MSG-laden "food of the gods" but color me skeptical.

Reviewed 22 June 2012

I wish that I could sing the praises of Banana Leaf as have previous reviewers. However, my husband’s and my experience at dinner was not praise-worthy. It should be noted that this restaurant is in Rio Rancho, not Albuquerque. The environment is very nice with both tables and comfortable booths. The menu is comprehensive with a nice selection of primarily Chinese and Thai food. We started our meal with the Imperial Egg Rolls which were the standard mix of pork and veggies tightly wrapped in a crispy shell. They were not greasy but not exceptional. My husband’s Mongolian Lo Mein with chicken, consisted of a generous serving of egg noodles with scant bits of chicken. This is one of our favorite dishes and Banana Leaf’s lacked the usual complexity of flavors, although the “heat” level was just right. My Yellow Curry Udon with chicken consisted of a large serving of over-cooked, soggy udon noodles with overcooked veggies and chicken that had a very strange taste. The presentation looked like a congealed mass of noodles floating in sauce - way too much sauce. On our first visit a couple of years ago, the food was much, much better. The bottled beer list has both domestic and imports. The wine list is brief and over-priced. Service was mediocre. We had to ask for water refills and no one checked back to see if we were enjoying our meal.
We were really in the mood for good Asian food and came away very disappointed.

Reviewed 23 December 2011

I know most people don't come to the Southwest for Asian cooking.....but if you are in town and looking for some great food then this is the place. We have been to this place a number of times and everything we have tried is absolutely delicious. The place is clean and attractive. The service here is always great. We would recommend the Thai basil chicken and the shrimp pho.

Reviewed 17 November 2011

My husband and I eat there at least once a week and have always left pleased with our meals. The service is great and the owner is a sweetheart. The Wor Wonton soup is fabulous!!!!!!!

1  Thank redorgreen
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Excellent food and service, very friendly people. We had a large party and took up 4 tables. The food came out pretty quick, just after we had finished our appetizers.