“A Hyatt Regency? No joke?”

Hyatt Regency Albuquerque
Ranked #27 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Reviewed 2 February 2012

This place is a Hyatt Regency? Really? Seems more like a tired old Doubletree or Crown Plaza. I'm a Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond member and was disappointed there is no longer a Regency Lounge. Breakfast is provided in the restaurant at no charge for Diamonds but there's no evening reception, no water.

Rooms are spartan. No media jacks, no coffee makers (I don't even drink coffee and I noticed this), no mini fridge. They're pretty basic. Even though I was at the end of the hallway, I could hear the elevator run up and down. Otherwise, though, the rooms are quiet.

The place just shows its age a bit. VIPAmbassador has touted on here how the rooms have been recently renovated. Okay, fine. Maybe so. But I suspect the renovation involved removing a lot of furniture and not replacing much of it ... or replacing it with cheesy furnishings (the "pleather" sofa in my suite was cheap looking).

Honestly, I'd rather stay at one of the two Hyatt Place properties in town or the Hyatt Regency north of town. How does a town the size of Albuquerque end of with so many Hyatt choices, anyhow?

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Ryan L
DEMETRIS A, VIP AMBASSADOR at Hyatt Regency Albuquerque, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2012

leclaire68,

Thank you for sharing your experience about your stay at our hotel. I offer my sincere apologies for not providing the level of customer service that you have come to expect as a Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond Member. Although we do not have a Regency Club Lounge, we offer our many Diamond Members other wonderful options and amenities. Coffee makers and refrigerators are always available upon request, We also have 3 additional food and beverage outlets: Starbucks, Forque Kitchen and Bar and HQue Lobby Lounge which we will happily provide you with a beverage selection.

The Hyatt Regency Albuquerque team members will continually work towards providing warm, caring service and exceeding your expectations.

Once again, thank you very much for your valuable feedback. Please contact me directly so that I may personally look after your stay if your travel plans should bring you back to Albuquerque.

There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Albuquerque

Reviewed 27 January 2012

Hotel was nice - staff assisted me when I arrived before check-in, feeling tired. Sheets really cheap & scratchy - not in keeping with nice room. Shower had to run a long time for hot water - wasteful.

• Stayed: January 2012
DEMETRIS A, VIP Ambassador at Hyatt Regency Albuquerque, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2012

Alaskamojo:

Thank you for sharing your experience about your stay at our hotel. We appreciate your business and value your feedback.

I am delighted to hear that our staff assisted at check-in and you felt the room was nice. However, I apologize that your bed sheets were scratchy. We have reduced the starch level when laundering our sheets. Also, our engineers have addressed the issue of the hot water taking a long time. We are a "green hotel" and have the same commitment to caring for the earth as we do to caring for our guests.

It is always our goal to exceed your expectations. We sincerely hope to see you again and look forward to your return.

Reviewed 22 January 2012

Went to Albuquerque for business. Hyatt gold member and stay with Hyatt whenever possible, so I figured that the Regency would be the place to stay. unfortunately I was proven wrong!

Reception:
I arrived at 7pm, you would have thought it was 2am. No bell or doorman. One person working at reception. Line 5 deep and suffered an interminable wait to get a room.

Room:
Although I asked for high floor I received a room on a mid level floor. But that was ok because the elevator service was slow during the entire stay. Got to the room and was delighted (not) with the spartan appointments. The room was large and largely empty. One desk, no coffee table, sitting chair and a light five feet away. The desk/work area has insufficient electric outlets for work area (hey management maybe you can issue an extension cord upon checkin!!!) Oh, and there was a wonderful view facing a parking lot and radio tower.

Fitness room:
Read my prior reviews, I use the fitness facilities everywhere I go. This trip was no exception. Located through locked doors and requiring a walk to get to this Hyatt fitness room was spacious with variety and pretty recent vintage equipment. Other enjoyable amenities - a big plus for this property is the sauna but there is no pool in the winter (although when going to the fitness club you are tempted with the locked doors and paper sign saying 'pool closed')
The fitness area smelled mildly or mildew and feet. Would prefer to have a chlorine smell, but whenever I was there a staff member was wiping the place down.

Restaurant/Bar/Food:
Starbucks on ground floor with most of the usual foods. The Forque restaurant had a few good Southwest cuisine options for dinner, the lunch options were not as appealing. Bar staff in both lounge and restaurant was mediocre. Be aware there are very few options nearby. Get ready to travel in the town.

I'd definitely pass on this hotel unless you were going to the convention center immediately accross the street.

P.S., they charged me for the room water although I did not drink it. (wise to that trick)

Room Tip: Ask for one facing the front of the building.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
VIPAmbassador, VIP Ambassador at Hyatt Regency Albuquerque, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2012

ChiefJack-
We appreciate your feedback and thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.
I apologize that you experienced at delay at check-in! We do our best to ensure a smooth and speedy check in and I deeply apologize for the inconvenience.
I regret that the room was not to your liking! In standard king rooms the furniture is allocated in such a way as to allow maximum space and comfort for the guest and I sincerely apologize that you felt this arrangement too minimalist. In an effort to further accommodate our tech savvy travelers, we also offer a 24hr business center should you require additional outlets. I apologize that you felt your dining options were limited! We are just 2 short blocks away from downtown Central Avenue where many local restaurants and bars are located, and we pride ourselves on being able to present our guests with a variety of dining options. I would love to discuss your stay in greater detail with you. We appreciate your business and I look forward to hearing from you and hope to see you again!

Reviewed 10 January 2012

Stayed here on our last night of our NM trip to be near the airport for our early departure flight. Did not seem like it was located in the best area...they charged for parking...about $14.00 or so. Hotel seem outdated. Went to our room and there was hair and good a portion of it on the bathroom floor and also in the shower drain. Room was kinda worn too. Went down to the front desk and told them about this. They said they would have someone come up right away and clean the entire room. They also gave us 2 free drink vouchers at their lobby/rest. bar which we used. And, so they did clean the room. After that, we went into Old Town Albuquerque and hade a very nice evening...though it was not really what I expected it to be.

All in all, after the hair issue, we felt rather creepy staying in the room. We would not stay here again.

Room Tip: I would ask to see the room before commiting.
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HawaiiKaiGail
VIPAmbassador, VIP Ambassador at Hyatt Regency Albuquerque, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2012

OahuHawaii,
Thank you for sharing your experience and for choosing Hyatt. I deeply apologize that you felt that your stay was not exceptional.I invite you to contact me if you wish to discuss your stay in further detail. As Albuquerque's premier urban hotel, we pride ourselves on our downtown location, and I regret that our excitement is not a shared one. We recently completed stage 1 of a multi-million dollar renovation, and I am saddened that you do not share in our delight over the result. It is our goal to exceed your expectations and I sincerely hope to have the opportunity to do so in the future. We appreciate your business and wish to see you again soon.

Reviewed 10 January 2012

This property upon arrival you are greeted with great professional individuals as you pull in for valet service. Valet attendants are there to meet you and assist you with courtesy and respect. All the front desk attendants are professional and expeditious at check-in. After check-in and you arrive in your room, the front desk attendants do follow up with a phone call to see if your room is okay. Further, the hospitality service from the restaurant to the lounge is very professional. Always greeted with a smile. Internet service is wireless so, this helps without the hassle of having to have your laptop plugged in to a internet port consistently in the rooms giving you the freedom to roam around the room with your computer.

The nightly room rate and charges are fair. Overall guest service is without a doubt one of the best I have experienced in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Highly recommend this property for both business or the occasional weekend getaway trip.

Room Tip: Take advantage when prompted of the available upgrades that are provided online after you complete y...

ChrisMorris927,
Thank you for taking the Time to share your feedback-we appreciate hearing from you!
I am delighted that your stay was so enjoyable. It is our goal to exceed expectations and I am very happy that we succeeded! I look forward to your next stay and the opportunity to assist you! Thank you for choosing Hyatt Regecny Albuquerque!

Reviewed 9 January 2012

This is a nice hotel. I paid $120 a night for a room. You would think that at that price you would get free WiFi, but alas, that was extra. You would think that they would provide you with a place to park your car, but alas, there was a hefty charge for parking ($13 bucks a day!) I'm surprised they didn't charge for each trip up and down in the elevator! I will probably not stay there again. I would rather drive a little more to the Convention Center and pay $6 for parking than pay for overpriced lodging and parking.

• Stayed: January 2012

Owassodeb-
Thank you for choosing Hyatt and for taking the time to share your thoughts. Guest feedback is valuable to us, and we appreciate you taking the time to communicate with us. As Albuquerque's premier upscale urban hotel, unfortunately downtown street parking is at a premium. We do our best to accommodate all guest parking needs as well as internet requirements. While there is a charge for guest room internet, we do offer complementary wifi in our lobby and lobby atrium as an alternative. I deeply regret that we failed to exceed your expectations! However, we appreciate your business and hope to have the opportunity to see you again soon!

Reviewed 5 December 2011

I stayed for one night at the Hyatt Regency. I visit Albuquerque often for business and stayed here for the first time. My assistant booked me there because the seminar I was attending was being held there. I was not overly impressed. My first meal in the restaurant took ten minutes before my waiter acknowledged me, he admitted not seeing me. He had to come and confirm my order after taking it and rarely checked on me. He admitted when he brought the check that he forgot about me. The food was not fantastic, it was okay.
The next morning breakfast was good and the waitress delightful. That morning though the hotel was cold. The conference room had 62 degrees and it was noon before it ever hit 70. During lunch the restaurant was so cold that the hostess was wearing a jacket. Staff could have at least acknowledged the problem and apologized for any inconvenience. And the lunch was very bland.
I was also disappointed that at that price internet was not complimentary when other hotels very close by offer complimentary internet and cheaper parking and much better service. Staff does the minimum to accommodate you and in no way make an extra effort. I won't be staying here again.

1  Thank basinrunner
VIPAmbassador, VIP Ambassador at Hyatt Regency Albuquerque, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2011

basinrunner- I deeply regret that we were unable to exceed your expectations! It has been much colder than anticipated this week and we are ardently and actively working to ensure all meeting and guest rooms remain comfortable. While we are unable to offer complementary internet in the guest rooms, we do provide complementary internet access in our lobby atrium. In addition there is the business center located on the 18th floor. We greatly appreciate your business and I look forward to hearing from you and to seeing you soon!