“Good convention hotel, but needs a bit of polish”

Hyatt Regency Albuquerque
Ranked #25 of 143 Hotels in Albuquerque
Reviewed 29 July 2014

This hotel is great for those who aren't spending much time in their rooms. It's very convenient to the convention center. The staff at the hotel were very eager to help with whatever questions or give advice, and the restaurant staff were friendly and helpful. The rooms are a bit tired, but are clean and comfortable. I noticed that one of the handles on the dresser was hanging half off, by the time I came back to the room, and before I had a chance to mention it to the hotel staff, it was fixed. While there was construction going on near the hotel, it was not noticeable. The food at Forque was excellent, but the floor around the bar and bar tables was very dirty. It looked as though it hadn't been carefully swept, let alone mopped, in quite a while.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
DEMETRIS A, Excellence Ambassador at Hyatt Regency Albuquerque, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Dear jujicam:

I certainly understand how valuable your time is and appreciate that you have taken the time to wirte a review.

We will be upgrading our rooms with a rejuvenating makeover and look forward to hopefully seeing you again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,346)

Reviewed 28 July 2014

It's 2am and I need to print or save my boarding passes in my computer. Oh, surprise, there is no wifi in my bedroom unless I pay $2.5 for 15 minutes. I refuse to pay for something that any decent hotel in the world offers you for free. I go to reception and they send me to their "Business center". I tried to print my boarding pass, and I realize there is no paper on the printer. I try to log in the computer to send me my boarding pass to my cell phone, and there is no Internet in the computer. I see a phone with a "Dial 1 for assistance", and when I pick up the phone, there is no active line.

Shall I continue?

I ended up paying $20 dollars to use their "special business center" for 5 minutes the next morning. They were pleased, I was not.

Bathroom smelled like sewer, and my wife and I were always wondering: how on earth did we end up in this place?

Spend 5 minutes doing your research in advance and go to any of the other hotels in the area.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank JorgitoU
DEMETRIS A, Excellence Ambassador at Hyatt Regency Albuquerque, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Dear JorgitoU:

Your comments regarding your disappointing service are very important to us. We want our guests to always enjoy enjoy staying with us, so your feeback of a poor business center and internet experience is a serious concern for us.

First, please accept our deepest apologies. We offer complimentary internet throughout the hotel and guest service agents can happily always assist with printing boarding passes and providing paper. In addition, our guest can access the 18th Floor Complimentary Business Center for printing needs.

Once again, I do apologize about the confusion. We hope this clarifies the situation and invite you back to gives us another try.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

If you have a choice stay at the Andaluz, which is right around the corner. The Hyatt is a convention hotel with very drab rooms. The service was good, but this hotel is nothing special. The pool is small and shaded, not a place I would want to hang out in. The mattresses were very soft and they used a top sheet for the bottom sheet, so it kept sliding around. The pillows were foam and hard.

Room Tip: There aren't any special ones.
1  Thank Andrea S
DEMETRIS A, Excellence Ambassador at Hyatt Regency Albuquerque, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2014

Dear Andrea S:

Thank you for leaving a review. I understand this takes a great deal of time and value your feedback! I'm also disappointed to read that you did not enjoy a positive stay.

We're working on our upgrades and appreciate your comments. We hope you'll come back and stay with us again the next time you're in town.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Disappointing from the moment I called from the airport about a shuttle to the motel and was told they did not provide that service to the attempts at getting the AC in my room to work.

The rooms were large, clean and beds comfortable noise from the outside was minimal. In room amenities were about what would be expected, and I guess the complementary toothpaste was different. The staff I did interact with were friendly, and attempted to be helpful when they could.
The common areas were all clean and well maintained.

If this were a hotel on the edge of town charging $100 per night some of the problems would be a little more expected. But in this type of property, not at all. Service should be top notch at all times.
I would not stay here in the future.

1  Thank Bill P
DEMETRIS A, Excellence Ambassador at Hyatt Regency Albuquerque, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2014

Dear Bill P:

I am disheartened to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We invite you back to see our changes. What you may have experienced is definitely not indicative of Hyatt.

Thank you for your valuable feedback!

Reviewed 23 July 2014

I stayed one night at the Hyatt. It was centrally located and within walking distance to my meeting.

The staff is trying "extra hard" to be a good property. This is a good thing. My interactions with the staff were warm but a bit stiff. There were a few times that I was waiting around. However for the most part there were good interactions.

The amenities of the hotel are what you would expect. The restaurant Forque (get it) is a typical hotel restaurant. There is a starbucks in the lobby.

The rooms were a bit larger than normal. There were good views from my room. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom larger than normal. All good points.

Overall the hotel was clean and pretty well kept. If I had business in downtown Albuquerque I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Dear JCollura:

Thank you for providing feedback regarding you experience with us and we appreciate your comments. It appears that you enjoyed your stay. We hope you'll come back again the next time you're in town.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Actually, that's not fair to the Holiday Inn. I take that back. When did Hyatts dumb down their brand so drastically? My husband and i travel frequently and stay at all sorts of hotels and I can tell you from our experience this weekend, as well as other stories gathered from our colleagues, this was far and away the worst stay ever.

1) My husband had a single box shipped to the hotel. He was charged $10 to receive it. That has never happened before.
2) The room, a "business floor" upgrade, was grim and absolutely devoid of any amenities: no make-up mirror, no bath mats most of the time, two wafer-thin soaps that weren't replenished, thin and worn towels (which were washed every day, in this water-starved desert). Of course, no robes, cotton balls, sewing kits. Maybe i'm just spoiled.
3) But here's the kicker: I ordered my Saturday morning breakfast by phone on Friday at 9:00PM, as did one of my associates in another room, and was confirmed a delivery of 6:15AM. By 6:20, no b'fast, so i called the room service. Gregorio announced that, not only was my breakfast not ready, but that they were busy with a large group (ours) and that he couldn't bring it in until 7:00 (too late for me, i had to go to work). When i replied that i had ordered the day before and should therefore be first on the wheel, he didn't give me an explanation. I hung up and called the main hotel number to speak to the manager on duty. I was told that they wouldn't be in until 7:00. When i asked who was on duty AT THE MOMENT, I was told, and i quote, "No one."
My associate got a call to let her know that her breakfast would not be showing up.
4) Friends gripes: sheets left from previous guest; no hot water for afternoon shower; 10-min wait for elevator.

If you can stay at the Andaluz, that might be a much better use of your money.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank SuzanneP78

HI SuzanneP78:

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent experience with us. I know this takes a great deal of time and we value your feedback! I'm also disappointed to read that your stay was less than positive. As a convention services hotel, we do charge a $10 delivery fee and apologize that you were unaware of this.

In addition, we've enhanced our in-room dining situation and your comments have been used in an effort to better our in-room dining experience for future guests.

In order to ensure an "Excellent" stay, complimentary amenities (to include robes, cotton balls and a host of many other items) are also available at the Front Desk and we can have someone bring it right to your room.

We hope you'll come back and stay with us again the next time you're in town to our improvements.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel a few years ago, and enjoyed it. After reviewing some of the reviews, we were concerned…..needlessly I might add. We had a nice stay, and got a great deal.

Breanna at the front desk was very helpful and friendly. She gave us a view room on the 10th floor. It was clean, had an updated flat screen TV, comfy hyatt bed, the bathroom was spotless and had all the bath products.

After lugging up a case of water we realized that the room didn’t have a refrigerator. We called Breanna, she had one delivered within minutes. Thank you Breanna. PS, there wasn’t an in room safe for all the gadgets. However, they do have them at the front desk for your use.

Wifi is available and free for Hyatt platinum level, otherwise there is a fee. Also, Breanna advised us that since they didn’t have the regency club, that coffees at Starbucks is on them. Each day, we enjoyed two large Starbucks coffees on the hotel. That was nice.

What we really like about this hotel’s location, is that Central Avenue (Route 66) is a block away. Every type of restaurant is right there within walking distance.

The cleaning staff kept our room and bath spotlessly clean and well stocked with bath products during our stay. We didn’t have any of the problems other reviewers mentioned and we would stay here again.

Room Tip: The AAA bed and breakfast price, was a great deal. The breakfasts were really good.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
DEMETRIS A, Excellence Ambassador at Hyatt Regency Albuquerque, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2014

Dear AZcartrip:

Thank you for recognizing Breanna's Excellent customer service at check-in. We are excited to read that you had a very positive stay and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel. Thanks for reviewing us.