“Cool Historic Hotel”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Richmond, Virginia
“Cool Historic Hotel”
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Four of us stayed in 2 rooms for a wonderful night at the Hotel Andaluz. the interior is Southen Spain/Moorish. We loved the hotel from, the welcoming employees, the cabash rooms and lobby for drinks with live music during the evening, to the library to wander. The hotel rooms were modern, stylish, clean and very comfortable. The hotel is close to the convention center and the part of historic route 66 area to walk around with some restaurants and shops close. The employees are very accommodating and make sure you are pleased with your room and if you need anything else during your stay.

Room Tip: Upper floor rooms will be more quiet from the bar and street noise. Our group had one corner room w...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
andaluzmgmt, Manager at Hotel Andaluz, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
Greetings to tsuhara from Richmond!

Thank you for choosing Hotel Andaluz and for providing an excellent recap of your visit! We were delighted to read your review and how very comfortable you were visiting our hotel.

We continually strive to create memorable experiences through our service, product and entertainment and are committed to creating a most memorable guest experience while promoting the genuine culture of hospitality!

On behalf, of the entire staff, thank you for visiting Hotel Andaluz and we hope to see you again in the near future!

Warmest regards,

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
Manhattan Beach, California
Reviewed 15 April 2012

I've stayed 2x. The first visit was better than the second. The rooms are very cool and the style is kind of a southwestern meets hip. I wish they had more than 2 receptionist/check-in stations available at any one time. I've found a back up more than once. The rooms are stylish and comfortable. I like that the bath amenities are from big self-serve containers as opposed to the bars of soap I use once and then end up as trash. It's downtown location is good, but sadly downtown continues to become seedier in my experience. There was some awful contstruction outside my window starting at 5am on the last trip, which clearly colored the overall trip. In general it's a good spot and if you're staying downtown, it's worth checking out.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
andaluzmgmt, Manager at Hotel Andaluz, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
Greetings to Fozzetti from Hotel Andaluz!

On behalf of the entire staff, we would like to thank you for taking your time to share your experience of your recent visit to Hotel Andaluz! It gives us great pleasure to know that you enjoyed your stay, however we are truly sorry that you were inconvenienced from the noise on the streets. We love to consider our hotel an "oasis" in the middle of busy Route 66 and we consistently strive to provide genuine care and hospitality to all of our guests.

We are also thrilled that you appreciated the large container macadamia and ginseng bath and body collection provided in each of the guestrooms. Being only one of the two Leed Gold Certified Hotel's in the USA, our owner selected these products based on the superior quality and excellence in enironmentally responsible manufacturing.

Again, we appreciate your feedback and thank you for choosing to stay with us! If you are ever in the Albuquerque area, it would be our pleasure to serve you again!

Layton, Utah
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Upon entering the lobby, you might believe you were in a high priced upscale resort. In fact, I nervously checked my reservation documentation to double check the price I paid for the room. The opulence of the entrance led me to think I had missed a decimal point in my reservation information. In fact, the price I paid was a tremendous value.

The lobby area had live music each night during my stay. There are side rooms where you can hear the music, but enjoy conversation with friends (and also have drinks). There is a library/business center in one corner. The second floor has art on display and you can look down to the fountain (complete with koi).

The hotel rooms are small, but this is to be expected for the time period the hotel was built. The wide screen TV takes up most of the wall. Reading lights above the bed worked great for couples where one person stays up reading and the other wants to sleep. The hotel touts its green initiatives such as rainwater catchment for watering the plants. The multi-plug charging outlet on top of the desk was very useful. The room had a refrigerator. Bathrobes and slippers were provided.

Other reviewers have complained about the street noise. I was on the 6th floor, and the noise came from loud motorcycles that cruise along Central Blvd. Too bad Albuquerque does not have a noise restriction on motorcycles as some municipalities in other areas do. However, my room had two solutions on the clock radio. There were two white noise options, one “nature sounds” and the other piano. I used both of these and did have a good sleep. The motorcycle noise eventually stopped after midnight, too.

The folks who assisted me at reception were very nice both checking in and out. I will stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Higher floors = less road noise
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
andaluzmgmt, Manager at Hotel Andaluz, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
Greetings to Outdoorpartner from Utah!

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to provide the flattering and much appreciated review of Hotel Andaluz. We appreciate your kind words and your feedback is valued.

We strive hard to deliver the ultimate experience to each and every guest that we encounter and we are committed to high standards of excellence.

We are also thrilled that you got to enjoy our beautiful lobby and casbah's! And yes, we all love our koi fish but am so sad to say we lost one of them on Monday afternoon. They have been around since the hotel renovation in 2009 and all of our associates and guest adore watching them from our fountain.

Again, thank you for choosing to stay with us, and hopefully you'll be back in Albuquerque soon and it will certainly be our pleasure to serve you again!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Lovely renovated old building with modern rooms. We were given floor 10 which had mountain views. There was a free leisure pass to adjacent facility and it was close to bars and restaurants. recommended.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
andaluzmgmt, Manager at Hotel Andaluz, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
Good Evening to Nidgebob from London, England!

It give us great pleasure to know that you enjoyed your stay here at Hotel Andaluz! Thank you for taking the time to provide a recap of your visit here on Trip Advisor.

We are glad that you enjoyed your view from our 10th floor rooms. That happens to be my favorite part of the hotel as well, especially when the spectacular sunset's occur early in the morning up over the mountaintops. Definitely one of the more simple pleasures of visiting Albuquerque, if I might say!

Please, if you are ever in the US again, please do stay with us again! It would be our pleasure to serve you!

Norman, Oklahoma
Reviewed 7 April 2012

The Hotel Andaluz is my home away from home. This was my third stay at this hotel. What I like best about this hotel is the personal service. I feel like many of the people on this staff are family. A good amount of the employees have been here since the opening of this hotel. That is a testament to the atmosphere under which the employees work. For the most part, they are happy to be employed at the Andaluz. From the valets, to housekeeping, to Front Desk, to Lucia Restaurant, and back again, I love the staff.
What I liked least about my stay here was the internet connection in the business section. The last time that I was here, the speed of the service was fine. This time around-- lag city. It slowed down my ability to accomplish business in a timely manner.
I have stayed in hotels all over America as well as in Europe. In my opinion, the Hotel Andaluz is the best.
I noted the complaints that the other reviewers presented. All one needs to do when one is not satisfied with anything at the Andaluz, is to let the Front Desk staff know. They are there for you, to correct any issues that you might have with your stay. They have always done this for me.
This hotel may be pricey; but, that is what their specials are for. I live for them. Opt to be on the Hotel Andaluz email list, and you will find many specials that will fit your needs throughout the year.
I recommend the Hotel Andaluz all of the time. I even recommend them to the local residents as an option for a romantic getaway for them and their spouses. I do hope that people have taken me up on this recommendation, as I don't believe that they would be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Sandias. It's so beautiful. I prefer rooms that are in eithe...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
andaluzmgmt, Manager at Hotel Andaluz, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
To JoniH in Norman, OK.....from your family at Hotel Andaluz!

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and providing the feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. It gives us great pleasure to know that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us! Considering us your "home away from home" reflects the Andaluz culture of genuine hospitality!

I have conveyed your compliments to our front office staff as they continuously strive to deliver the ultimate guest experience and they will be estatic to know that their efforts are so well appreciated.

Please, if you ever find yourself back in the "Land of Enchantment," .....welcome home! You will be welcomed with genuine hospitality and it will certainly be a pleasure to serve you again!

Hotel Andaluz
Orlando
Reviewed 5 April 2012

My sister and I had an excellent experience at this lovely hotel. The lobby is beautiful, room and beds were comfortable, and service was great. I arrived with a headache and the valet immediately brought up some pain relievers from the gift shop, and ice and water. Dinner at Lucia's was delicious!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Carlsbad, NM
Reviewed 28 March 2012

We stayed one night, as part of a wedding event held at the hotel. So this review will keep it simple starting with the positives, working down to the issues experienced.

Great Aspects
- Green elements in the rooms; from smart use of water features, to conserving electricity by use of energy efficient lighting
- modern features and decor in the rooms;
- banquet services were excellent in quality, presentation, and service

Good Aspects
- Unique layout
- location is ideal for access to downtown, convention center, and weekday restaraunts
- large parking garage next door
- Front desk staff are freindly and try hard to get it right

Problems
- check-in service location is odd, and bottle-necks into a small room
- valet parking crowds an already narrow sidewalk access to main entrance
- minor construction inside hotel reduced elevator access to patrons
- 1st room we were given was not cleaned

Serious Problems
- restaraunt wait staff was inconsiderate, slow, and sloppy
- food at breakfast was less than average (luke warm, poor flavor, and small portions)
- senior management family was in restaraunt and recieved better service than any of the guests; and seemed aloof of their influence.

Considering the sum of the whole, we think the hotel was overpriced. Being orginally from Albuquerque, it is ammusing to read so many reviews that claim the Andaluz as the "best". We've stayed at more common places (Courtyard north) that easily exceed Andaluz standards.

Room Tip: ask for the west side of the building (opposite of bar/banquet area), lower floor
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends