“Historic Charm in Albuquerque”
Review of Hotel Andaluz

Hotel Andaluz
Ranked #8 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Midland, Texas
“Historic Charm in Albuquerque”
Reviewed 18 June 2013

My wife, grandson, and I stayed in a corner vista room. We were greeted promptly by the bellman and the parking valet as we parked outside the main entrance. The room was spacious; it included two televisions and a separate seating area. The hotel occupies a non descript downtown building: however, the Hotel Andaluz offers a classy, tasteful. charming atmosphere. The lobby is beautifully decorated by blending period design with modern touches. The fountain, stained glass, and carved wood create an elegant lobby. This hotel offers a warm and inviting character which is preferable to the mega boxes. The downtown location is convenient to Old Towne and other attractions such as the zoo, the aquarium, gardens, and a variety of local restaurants on Central Avenue, the original Route 66. A few touches of bright color, such as in simply flower arrangement or pictures, would add to the design in rooms and halls. We definitely would stay at the Hotel Andaluz again because of the service, location, price, and charm of this historic hotel.

Room Tip: Request a room with a mountain view on an upper floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank BillM551
Dear Bill M,
Thank you for your kind review. We are thrilled to hear you had the opportunity to not only enjoy the hotel but Downtown and Old Town Albuquerque as well. There is definitely a lot of charm and history here. We hope to see you back soon!

Assistant Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 17 June 2013

I took my husband to the hotel restaurant for his birthday. After dinner the valet took 20 minutes to retrieve my car. It was dark out, so I did not immediately notice the damage. The front fender was badly scratched across the entire passenger side. I called the hotel to ask about security cameras that would have documented the event. I was told that there were cameras, however it did not matter as the small print on the valet ticket indicates they are NOT responsible for any damage whatsoever to the vehicles they valet park.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Kate M
Monica S, Manager at Hotel Andaluz, responded to this review, 22 June 2013
Dear Kate M,
We are concerned to learn about the damage made to your vehicle back in May. As I mentioned during our phone conversation we will conduct an internal investigation and I will touch base with you once investigation is completed. If you have any questions prior to my call please feel free to contact me at 505.242.9090 or if email is more convenient msanchez@hotelandaluz.com.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 17 June 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Andaluz in Albuquerque, NM for three nights. Upon arrival at the hotel, there is really nothing special about the outside of the hotel. However, the inside is beauitfully decorated and brings you back to a very special time. It's completely renovated but has kept the charm of the original 1939 time with beauitful details throughout the hotel. The reception area is tucked away in a small room off the lobby. There is also fresh fruit (oranges, apples), and flavored water at reception however, it would be nice if they could place those amenities outside of reception room so you could actually know they are there and enjoy them while you wait. Our check in was very upsetting because they gave our room away even after I had reconfirmed our reservations several times including the day of check in. They were very apologetic and wanted to upgrade me to a king suite, however, I booked a room with two beds because we had four in our family and did not want a king suite. After about an hour of numerous apologies and me being extremely upset, the management finally found me a room with two full beds, the Corner Vista Suite that I had originally booked, which they were holding for another guest. They offered that room to me and upgraded the other guest to a king suite. They did comp our internet and parking for the duration of the stay. Our room was very nice. The beds were probably the best beds I've ever slept on in a hotel. The bathroom was beautiful with all the amenities including spa quality shampoo, conditioner, bath gel, hand soap, body lotion, etc. The room size was good and well decorated. The first day we stopped in the restaurant for lunch and waited 1 hour and 45 minutes for our food to arrive. The waiter had forgotten to put our order in. Of course everyone was very apologetic and the manager comped our lunch however when the food did arrive, the scallops were undercooked, the salad had been tossed, and the burger was completely raw inside so we couldn't eat the meal anyway. The manager then offered to comp our breakfast the next day. Breakfast the next day was perfect. The food overall was good at this hotel. My tip for a more pleasant valet experience for your car is to definitely call down and ask to have your car brought around at a specific time, otherwise you run the risk of waiting, waiting, waiting. This is an extraordinarily beautiful hotel. The staff is amazingly patient, kind and friendly. It is also a very laid back environment. People and time really do slow down here. It's a comfortable place to stay and there are so many nooks and places to sit, relax and just enjoy your time there. If you're more of a "I want it now" kind of person, this is probably not the hotel for you. But if you have the luxury of time, and just want a wonderful hotel experience, then this hotel will definitely provide it for you. The location is downtown so there is a bit of a dingy vibe surrounding the hotel. We did see a lot of street people hoovering around the train station, which is only a block or so from the hotel. The healthspa is across the street from the hotel, which we did not use. There's also a very nice massage center, again across the street, which we did not use. There is not a pool or spa located in this hotel. Also, the hotel is "green", which I believe they take to the extreme. There are no ice machines on any of the floors, however, you can get ice if you request it. Also, the blowdryer only worked on low. The water pressure was low but adequate. There is not a refrigerator in the room but they have something that reminds you of a wine cooler. It's not cold enough to keep medicine or milk, but it will keep drinks chilled. The hotel is centrally located to the airport, freeway, and Old Town. Overall, I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Corner suites have windows on two walls of the room. Floor 4 is said to be haunted, and they keep th...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank LisaM08
Dear LisaM08,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are glad to hear your overall stay with us was pleasant however, I am concerned to hear about your experience in Lucia and with our valet department as this is not indicative of our usual high guest service standards. I welcome the opportunity to speak with you further about your stay. Please feel free to contact me at 505.242.9090 or if email is more convenient msanchez@hotelandaluz.com
Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience, I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Spokane, Washington
Reviewed 17 June 2013 via mobile

This hotel was a great night in Albuquerque, we stayed in a room with 2 full sized beds and were able to relax. The reading lights were a nice touch. The lobby was great and I enjoyed looking at the local art on the Mezzanine level.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear NomadicHistorian,
Thank you for your review! We are glad to hear you enjoyed your visit and had the opportunity to take in all the local New Mexican art. We hope to see you back soon!

nyc
Reviewed 14 June 2013 via mobile

First off, I upgraded to a king suite so I can't speak to other rooms which may be smaller but mine was excellent....nice free standing tub, good size and a couch that turned into a bed. The lobby is endlessly fascinating with nooks and crannies and lots of character. I chose to stay here rather than the cookie cutter Hyatt two blocks away. The charm of a small hotel was in evidence. After only three nights, I felt like I knew the entire staff and let me give a shout out to Jennifer in facilities and valets Ryan and Chris, both good guys with no attitude. It was easy to get things done here and it had a surprisingly large number of big public rooms well suited for my purposes. I liked the restaurant but sensed they were under staffed! Not the workers fault who were uniformly pleasant....stay here if you want some good vibes. The surrounding blocks are not great to walk around but take a drive to New Mexicos natural wonders.

Stayed June 2013
Dear Paul L,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are thrilled you had the opportunity to enjoy the small, yet very important details which make our property so special. We are also glad to hear our friendly staff created an even more memorable experience during your visit. We hope to see you back soon!

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 11 June 2013

We absolutely loved this place and will definitely stay here again. The lobby was endlessly interesting (the kind that people actually hang out in), and the casbahs off to the side were really cool. We ended up booking a casbah in which to have dinner and drinks, and we weren't disappointed. The staff was super-friendly, the library was another great hang-out spot, and we even saw Forest Whitaker in the lobby (he was staying at the Hotel Andaluz while filming a movie). The restaurant was also quite yummy. I'm not sure what the person was talking about who mentioned drug addicts, homeless, etc...we didn't see anything like that and got out and walked around.

Room Tip: The rooms with the king-sized bed is way bigger than all of the others (seating area, bathroom, etc...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Monica S, Manager at Hotel Andaluz, responded to this review, 11 June 2013
Dear Javadelcamp,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review. We are glad to hear you had the opportunity to experience multiple outlets of the hotel. Our library and lobby are definitely great spots to enjoy food or drinks. Thank you again for your review, we look forward to seeing you back soon!

Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed 9 June 2013

The service here rates low. The rooms are small. The tub and floors are uneven.
This makes one feel like they are dizzy when walking upon them. There is no gym and no pool. This is downtown which is trashy and with many buildings unoccupied. Numerous homeless, gang bangers and drug addicts. Do yourself a favor and don't waste your hard earned money here.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank BertNern
Monica S, Manager at Hotel Andaluz, responded to this review, 11 June 2013
Dear BertNern,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry to hear you were unsatisfied with your room and only wish you concerns were brought to our attention during your visit. Hotel Andaluz offers twelve different room types and I am confident we could have located a room which better suited your needs. Although our property does not have a pool or gym on site, all our hotel guests have complimentary access to the full service gym only feet away from our main entrance. I apologize this was not communicated to you upon arrival. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your experience further as we know you have many choices when staying in the ABQ area thus please feel free to contact me at 505.242.9090 or if email is more convenient msanchez@hotelandaluz.com
Thank you again for taking the time to review our property. I look forward to hearing from you soon.