“Character, Charm, Community”

Hotel Andaluz
Ranked #8 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We arrived at Andaluz after braving the ice storms in the panhandle on Dec 19. The warm welcome by the staff, the ambience of the lobby and the character of the room entranced us. After checking in we quickly shed the accunulated stresses of our sojourn by relaxing in the lobby enjoying live music, tapas, wine and people watching. This place has a rich history and continues to be a meeting point for the local community. Andaluz is centrally located. We could hit both the old town and the pueblo indian cultural center in a half day befor we headed north. Our stay at Andaluz was a highlight of our trip to Taos , Santa Fe and Abiquiu.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
andaluzmgmt, Front Office Manager at Hotel Andaluz, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

We're happy to know that we were able to play a role in reducing your stress levels! Our goal is to provide a great experience in all elements of our hotel, Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. It's always greatly appreciated!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,433)

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Once we stepped into the lobby of Hotel Andaluz, I no longer felt like I was in Albuquerque. It was more like a European-Moroccan-artsy atmosphere. No kitschy turquoise and coral kivas or Kokopellis everywhere. It was wonderful. We explored everywhere like it was our cruise ship, and there were surprises wherever we looked.

We pulled up to the front door of the hotel and were immediately greeted by the valet who inquired if we were checking in. We gave him our name and our keys, took our overnight bag and entered the front entryway. A short hallway took us to the lobby where we were greeted-- by name!-- by the "front desk" clerk. The front desk was not the typical counter; it was a room with comfy chairs for us to sit in while we checked in. The ladies were quite personable and professional.

We had a Corner Vista King room. Very stylish. It had two windows- one looked out to Central Ave and the other looked out to the Sandia Mountains and the train tracks. We could see the Century 14 movie theater, Tucanos Brazilian Grill, and the train depot were all just a block away. Several other good restaurants such as Le Cafe Miche are within walking distance. We actually did walk to dinner in the evening and felt completely safe.

I had requested coffee service in our room. We were assured at check-in that it should already be there, but it was not. We had to call down to get it. It came on a large tray with ample servings. I totally enjoyed sitting in my stuffed chair by the window in the morning, drinking my coffee and listening to the church bells ring in the distance.

There was a lot of modern glass counters in the bathroom and metal "draperies" by the bed, yet the room still managed to feel inviting. My only real difficulty was in raising the heavy blinds with the thin pull string. The bed was very comfortable. The glass shower walls looked cool but it had no door, so water splashed on the floor. I loved the scent of the body wash that was provided in pump containers in the shower.

For some reason the TV check out did not work, so we got our paperwork in the office before we left. The valets were very busy so we had to wait maybe 10 minutes before it was our turn to get our car. We should have called down to them before we left the room. We were not charged for parking, but we of course gave the valet a tip.

I would definitely like to stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
andaluzmgmt, Front Office Manager at Hotel Andaluz, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Wasn't it nice to be transported without the help of the Starship Enterprise? It's great that you enjoyed your experience with us. And we definitely appreciate you taking the time to express your views in detail. Thanks again for your comments and suggestions. Have a great year and please come back and visit again!

Reviewed 5 January 2014

We stayed here for two nights for my wife's birthday. The staff was less than friendly and very unaccommodating. They were having a huge party downstairs that lasted until 1:00am. We were on the 8th floor and the base was shaking our bed the music was so loud. When we called downstairs they just said that they were celebrating and they hoped I'd understand. I called the police with a noise complaint and they did nothing. The overall tone of the staff was that they didn't care much at all about their guests needs and make no effort to accommodate. If you stay here, make sure it's not a party night for the hotel. By the way , the valet staff was great and very friendly.

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank David D

It's very unfortunate that your stay did not meet your expectations. Sincerely, our goal here at the Hotel Andaluz, is for every guest to have a positive experience. I do believe it is important to note that the evening you were referring to was New Years Eve, and there was a party in progress that were being hosted by the hotel. Your particular room was situated six floors above the venue. In your call to the police department, the officer that responded explained along with the night manager that accompanied him, that it is New Years Eve, and there would be a certain degree of noise, and he felt that there was nothing excessive about the noise levels from the event. Also, a half hour after the police responded, the party concluded around 1 AM. As compensation for your inconvenience, we did remove the valet charges from your bill as well as offer you a complimentary new years day breakfast brunch and a note of apology. Plus we released your reservation for the final two days without a cancellation penalty.Again, our sincere apologies for your stay not meeting your expectations. Please feel free to contact me personally if you wish to discuss this matter any further. Hortencia Chavez-505-242-9090

Reviewed 30 December 2013

I really liked the character of this hotel. I never forgot I was in New Mexico. It's close (not walking distance, but short cab ride) to all of the fun restaurants and bars in the Nob Hill area. The room we stayed in was smaller than I expected but it was clean and well appointed. Very nice flat screen TV (Samsung). I might buy one for myself! We loved the library that was off the lobby. You can take drinks from the bar in there and just hang out by the fire. The staff was very friendly and quick to call cabs when we needed one. My one negative was the room was REALLY HOT. Clearly the thermostat on the wall is purely ornamental. Granted we should have called the front desk to get the heat adjusted but we were getting back to our room late at night and didn't want to wait around for engineering. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

We're happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, and you experienced the feel of New Mexico while you were here. That's one of the advantages of staying at a boutique property. And thank you for taking the time to express your views. We appreciate your input. Have a great new year!

Reviewed 29 December 2013

This is a hidden jewel in the heart of Albuquerque. The lobby is exquisite with small alcoves you can reserve for an intimate setting for drinks or tapas. The staff was so friendly and helpful in every way. Our room was beautiful and very quiet. The location put us close to everything we wanted to do - Old Town, River of Lights, great restaurants... We would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
andaluzmgmt, Front Office Manager at Hotel Andaluz, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Thank you so much for your kind words! We're delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to you returning to visit again in the future. Have a safe and a very Happy New Year!

Reviewed 29 December 2013

Tiny, tiny, tiny!!!! It's difficult to believe the majority of this hotels reviews are favorable. OK, perhaps there's a way to stuff the ballot box. The lobby is gorgeous! The staff appears to be trying hard to please. But for $140 plus in ABQ, NM one would expect a decent sized room. One might even expect to be able to control the temperature in their room w/o having to make 2 phone calls. A quick guess would estimate I've spent 30-40 nights in hotel rooms in the last year.
This place wins the award for 'worst value' hands down. And yes, the award winning restaurants food and service is very hit or miss also.

Room Tip: look elsewhere!
3  Thank spdt2013

I am so sorry to hear about your experience here at the hotel was not up to our standards. We have twelve different room types, so I'm sure we could have found accomodations that you would have been happy with. Our goal is 100 percent guest satisfaction, so we do take your concerns very seriously. I appreciate you taking the to write this review, and if you would like to discuss this with me personally, I would welcome the opportunity. Take care and have a Happy New Year.-Hortencia Chavez-505-242-9090

Reviewed 26 December 2013

We recently checked into the Hotel Andaluz for a long weekend stay surrounding a college football bowl game (Go Rams!). We checked in on Friday and had a nice king room on the second floor, off of the two story hotel lobby. Once in the room we could hear a little bit of the live music they were playing that night, but honestly we were tired from a long days drive we just went right to bed. Our problems began at 6:15 am on Saturday morning when Christmas music began blaring in the lobby. I couldn't really believe the music was so loud it woke me up, so I poked my head into the hallway and sure enough Jingle Bells was blasting away. I tried to go back to sleep, but I guess I was up for the day! So my wife and I got ready to go, and we went down to the lobby for some coffee, we stopped in the office and simply asked "if there were any rooms we could move to, the music in the lobby woke us up?" Mr. Brown promptly said that was inexcusable on their part, explained that they had been working on the sound system but that it had a few problems still, and began looking at his computer. We were able to trade our king bed corner room for a king suite on the 10th floor (top floor) with no hassles or questions asked! The view from our new room was great, the bed was equally as comfy, the hotels conscious effort to support green initiatives was noticeable, and our new room was quiet as can be.

We dined in the hotel restaurant on Saturday night, it is called Mas. We had a bottle of wine and Tapas, and everything was AMAZING. I'd highly recommend the flatiron steak off of the Tapas menu, absolutely exquisite experience (yes, I know I'm talking about meat...but trust me it's that good ;))

Overall, service in the entire hotel was A+. Valet was quick to retrieve our car (free parking for Hybrids), location was convenient, free morning coffee, free WiFi, all in all a great little hotel where customer service is clearly a top priority.

Room Tip: Avoid room on floors 1 & 2, too noisy from lobby music.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

First of all, we apologize to you for being awakened to the sounds of the holidays on a grand scale. But its sounds like after that you had a great overall stay and a wonderful restaurant experience! Thank you for taking the time to outline your adventures in detail, both pro and con. We truly take all concerns very seriously and we strive for a memorable stay every time! Thanks for the kind words about David and the rest of the staff. We are very fortunate to have a team that is commited to customer service. Than you again and Happy Holidays!