“One of the nicest, most comfortable rooms I have ever enjoyed.”
Review of Hotel Andaluz

Hotel Andaluz
Ranked #8 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Wethersfield, CT
“One of the nicest, most comfortable rooms I have ever enjoyed.”
Reviewed 19 November 2009

Loved this luxurious boutique hotel. The rooms are spectacular, immaculate, large, and comfortable. The bed was magnificent; made with cool, soft, crisp, Frette sheets on top of a feather bed. The staff were super friendly and accommodating. They made you feel so welcome. There are wonderful little private alcoves in the lobby where you can enjoy a drink with friends. The decorations are beautiful. I made my friend check out of a different hotel and come to the AndaLuz. She was extremely grateful.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Lilly057

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
Southern California
Reviewed 18 November 2009

I travel A LOT. I stay at a lot of corporate hotels and for the most part they are just that. Corporate. If Walmart ran a hotel it would be something like this. Not that they do a bad job it's just lacking any personality and individuality. Not so at the Hotel Andaluz in Albuquerque. My travel agent tends to put us up at the Usual suspects whose names you would recognize. Not so at the Hotel Andaluz. It's a quick an inexpensive $17 taxi from the airport. I was greeted immediately by Mark teh bellman who extricated my bags from the trunk of the cab and brought them up to my room while I checked in. I was immediately happy to see that the interior of the lobby looked Southwestern not Best Western. Alcoves, white plaster, pleasant lighting, and rustic decor befitting both the Southwestern region as well as the the hotels august history. It was the first hotel constructed by Conrad Hilton who was from New Mexico. The reception is in an office decorated with circa 30's pictures of the staff, all male rat-pack looking patrons, and Hilton himself. There are also personal touches like the Egyptian, Roman, and British Imperial chess figurines in alcoves on the wall which used to be mail slots. Teresa the front desk agent couldn't have been more helpful and charming. She answered all of my questions with cheerful alacrity and upgraded me to a suite with no extra charge. The suite was every bit as charming as the lobby with a comfortable modern bed, dual sinks, and modern hip modern decor that didn't look out of place for the Southwest. Free wi-fi is great an appreciated. A feature which I often have to pay for in the corporate impersonal chain hotels. My only complaint about the room is the fan is constantly on. It's loud and distracting. My guess is to correct it would cost more than a few shekels but it was the one negative in an amazing hotel which I would recommend to the most seasoned road warrior and savvy urbanite from any city. Now on to the restaurant. Lucia. If you dine in many restaurants as I do the comfort level can vary. The music can be too loud, the lights can be too bright, the music can be too blaring. None of these were the case with Lucia. They've struck a tasteful and comfortable balance for a hip urban feeling restaurant. I am a patron that make my waiters work for their tips. Not to be difficult. I figure they know the food and wine better than I. Or at least they should. And I want them to walk me through a great dining experience. My waiter Charles did just that. The wine list isn't extensive but adequate with some nice selections in not only the popular varieties of Chardonnay, Sauv. Blanc, Cabernet, and Merlot but also some less common varietals like Malbec and wines from Italy, France, and Spain. Also a few New Mexico wines are represented which I always appreciate the local angle. I had a delicious Steel Chardonnay from Lake County which paired perfectly with my wild Atlantic Salmon over risotto. The creaminess and rich mouth feel of the risotto matched the wine well. Before I picked this wine however, Charles was kind enough to bring me basically a blind tasting flight so I could better gauge some of their wines by the glass. I've had this experience in other restaurants but never presented with three at a time like a tasting fight to allow me to pick the wine I liked the best but also try different possibilities. I told Charles I wanted my salmon not rare but not over cooked. Just that fine line where it's moist but cooked. If you were a waiter could you translate that to the cooks? If you were a cook could you translate that into a perfectly prepared piece of fish? Well everyone did their part with aplomb. It was a remarkable meal. I have to mention Omar going the extra mile using his Lebanese life line to find out the name of the puffed bread served before the meal with Skordalia as either Zalabia, Zuatar, or Manakeesh. Whatever the right answer how fun to learn about a new cuisine when you're out to a nice meal. Thanks to Omar. Lastly I happened to have the good fortune of sitting next to the owner Gary and GM Paul who kindly listened to my praise and offered their personal suggestion on other places to eat in town as well as assistance in making future stays even more memorable. That's a tall order as I would recommend this place to anyone, anywhere, anytime. It would even be worth a trip to Albuquerque just to have the good fortune of staying at the hotel Andaluz and dining at Lucia.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank bvon
Denver, CO
Reviewed 14 November 2009

My girlfriend and I are constantly seeking for new places to visit and we are just like any other couple…we want to stay at the best hotel in town but still have cash left over for some entertainment around town. If you have travelled as much as we did, you’d know that some hotels can get really out of hand and the experience is nothing different from all the other chains. So boutique hotels are the way to go.

We’ve never been to Albuquerque and wasn’t quite sure what to expect or where to stay, luckily we have a really good friend who is always travelling to New Mexico for business and he told us of this new hotel in Albuquerque’s downtown area.

Now, I have traveled with this friend of mine before, and he always seems to pick
the gems among all the independent hotels in the cities. And once again, he nailed it. We checked the hotel’s Web site and needless to say my girl was all over it, we packed our bags and took off for the weekend...we never really went south of Colorado so that was def. going to be an interesting trip.

We arrived at Hotel Andaluz a bit early for a check in, but decided to check on our room…although we were informed the room wasn’t ready yet, the lady who greeted us was so kind, she took our bags and put it in storage and gave us a few recommendations on where to go find some well deserved meal.

We waked around the downtown area, which was a great relief after spending a good five hours in the car…. We walked down the main street that I believe is called central for a good 20 minutes when we stumbled upon a sandwich shop called "Relish". The sandwiches were to die for and definitely a great way to take care of our hunger. Turns out that to travel on an empty stomach is not a good idea.

After lunch we made our way back to the hotel for some relaxing time at one of the nooks we saw at the lobby earlier in the day. What a great idea to create these little spaces, they looked so inviting with those comfy couches and beautiful pillows! Probably about ten minutes after we settled into one of the couches, we were told our room was ready.

Now…when we walked in the room I was speechless, and I am not one to be left with no words. The room is gorgeous, nothing like I’ve seen before. Everything looked so cozy, classic but with this modern twist! And the bathroom. Wow. Now I have a girlfriend who has this thing for hotel bathroom…if its not according to what she imagined. That’s it. She will do what she can to get me to change places. But when she saw this classic white stand alone bathtub…she fell in love with it.

We had an amazing stay, we had probably one of the best meals we’ve ever had at the hotels restaurant Lucia and well a great weekend.

We will certainly be going back there again. If anyone plans on visiting Albuquerque anytime soon, you need to stay, stop by, have dinner, at Hotel Anadaluz.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DENTravelers
Tucson, AZ
Reviewed 4 November 2009

Having traveled to Albuquerque on business many times over the last few years I have been eagerly awaiting the opening of Hotel Andaluz to finally experience a 5 star level of accommodation. I recently spent 5 nights there after only planning for 3. From the moment I walked in the staff was extremely helpful, courteous, and genuine. The room was spectacular and above and beyond my expectation. The restaurant has yet to open but after being invited to one of their trial runs I have nothing but high praise for the chef and his staff. It was so nice to stay in a hotel with such a high level of service and at the same time experience a piece of the history of downtown Albuquerque. I highly recommend Hotel Andaluz!

Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank chairmanAZ
Los Angeles
Reviewed 1 November 2009

This hotel is amazing. Perfect in every aspect. Location is central to everything. Evening jazz and entertainment in the lobby was an excellent choice. The hotel itself is beautiful, clean, and luxury to the hilt! Modern with touches of the original details of New Mexico art. The bed and bedding is dreamy. The Room Service Menues are reasonable in price and deserve mentioning because they are four star delicious. They even have a children's option. All this and "green" too. We will definately be back again soon.

1 Thank donnaschafer
chicago
Reviewed 25 October 2009

I had read about the renovation of the one great historical hotel in Albuquerque, the Hotel Andaluz, and that they had reinvigorated its Moroccan roots. Still, I wasn’t prepared for the mirage-like feeling of its spectacular lobby. Talk about a breath of fresh air in the Albuquerque hotel scene! If you like personal touches and risk taking in design, this place is for you. And after many business trips to Albuquerque, I finally have a place to look forward to.

I immediately ordered the black sesame crusted ahi tuna and settled into the lobby (the restaurant opens soon, so I am told) to take the place in. I could have sat in a private casbah which create a very cozy interior blanket on one side of the lobby, but wanted a full view of the goings on. The dish was superb, and the portion was more than generous. I had no reservation, but after being led to a room by a courteous but not over-bearing concierge, I booked it right away. All I can say is, see this place for yourself. Oh, and you MUST take a test drive in their cultural center- a kind of electronic big screen version of an events magazine- take my word for it!

1 Thank redski12
Boise
Reviewed 17 October 2009

The service at this hotel was outstanding. I had begun to think that this type of service was a lost art. All of the staff from the maids to the chefs to the waitresses and managers were exceptionally helpful and positive. Each day I was greeted with smiles and kindness. The hotel is magnificently beautiful. I did not see it prior to its renovations but I am impressed! I found myself thinking of design ideas I would like to see in my own home. Down to the smallest details, I found myself impressed by this hotel . . . even down to the bathroom towels and soap! The lobby is gorgeous and the small, private rooms where you can enjoy food and drink were fabulous. In my final night here in Albuquerque, I feel a bit like I had a relaxing, exotic vacation (even though I am actually here for work). I highly recommend this hotel!

1 Thank jln7406