“convienient location”

Motel 6 Albuquerque - I-40 - San Mateo
Ranked #111 of 143 Hotels in Albuquerque
Reviewed 14 March 2009

Although I was hoping for a different La Quinta, I wound up with this one from Priceline. The MOTEL was clean and convienient, though of the old fashion variety where there are no interior hallways. You had to get fully dressed to walk outside to the lobby for the limited breakfast. Not really an issue. The only issues I found were the small toilets and the ever present homeless guy who has made his home between the on-site Dennys and a utility building adjacent to the motel. The is road construction in the area but there is no noise and should be completed shortly. A visual tour of the area gives the impression of quite dead at night since it's somewhat business and industrial, but is is safe, although one must be buzzed in to access the lobby at night. On the positive side, there are many restaurants and stores in the area and the location is on 2 bus routes.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo

Reviewed 29 August 2008

The first tip off to trouble was upon checking in and receiving the old plastic hole punched key. Haven't seen those in so many years it made me wonder. As I entered the room I see two double beds, haven't seen those in facilities in a very long time unless it was older.

When asking for a room with a queen size bed we were informed the only room with a larger bed, a king, was in the smoking section and would cost more.

Talk about a total surprise, well this was one. So just be sure you ask all the questions that pertain to your desires.

Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed 27 November 2007

The room rate on the internet was $69.00 the sign on the hotel said "rooms from $39.95" Not a good start. The first room was missing the television, there was a coffee pot that had not been emptied and electrical outlets that did not work. The front desk did not know they were missing a TV. The second room had a coffee pot and a TV, the remote didn't work. The staff couldn't fix that. The upper level floors creak so bad it is impossible to sleep when the guests upstairs walk around the rooms until 1AM. The third room had a TV and remote that worked however the coffee pot did not fit the coffee maker. All three rooms were grungy with a moldy smell. The microwave in the breakfast room didn't work and we were not able to order a movie. No one on the front desk in the evenings was willing or able to fix any of these problems. This was the absolute worst hotel experience I have ever had.

Stayed: November 2007
Reviewed 9 August 2007

My stay at this motel would have been much better had the keys worked properly. The internet worked well, the room was clean, and the location off the highway/minutes from downtown was nice. And that's about it. The keys for all the rooms are old pieces of plastic with little holes punched in them. You put the key in, open the door, and then remove it. The first time I used it, it was fine, but then failed to work after that. The girl had to re-issue the key by adjusting something inside the door and re-punching new holes in the plastic. She even said that room had problems before with keys (then why has it not been fixed?). The next morning, I tried to use my new key and it did the same thing. I went back to the front desk and the man said I could switch rooms. He said he didn't know why they hadn't switched to regular magnetic keys and it wasn't just me who had problems with them. The maintenance guy had to let me in with the master key and I moved my stuff to the room next door. It was a hassle not only because I shouldn't have had to worry about it in the first place, but also because I have been on the road for a month and had a month's worth of luggage with me. The guy said he has to fix keys all the time and it's a recurring problem - same as the girl the previous night. When I spoke to the front desk manager the morning of my check-out, she was completely unsympathetic, did not even offer an apology or anything else, and said she didn't know why there was a problem with the key because there were never any problems (then why would the rest of the staff say there were?).

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 3 May 2007

I think this place has improved since the last reviews in 2004. I was
assigned this La Quinta via a bid on Priceline of $32 per night. This
place usually charges around $75 a night, though. I think they have remodeled the rooms here, since my room (228) had relatively new carpet, and everything in the room had just a general attractive appearance. The free breakfast was quite good; they had hot and cold cereal, bagels and cream cheese, yogurt, apples and oranges, plus coffee and juice. It only lasts until 9 a.m. Monday thru Friday, but until 10 a.m. on weekends. If you stay here, it's important to get a room in the back that doesn't face San Mateo Blvd., but away from the dumpster in the back corner that gets emptied early in the morning. The pool was dirty in early May, and I wonder when they'll make it ready for swimming. Denny's is right next door, and across the street is a shopping center with Boston Market, Starbucks, Circuit City, etc. Free wireless access and 25" color TV with cable. Noon checkout time! Overall I liked it, it's a nice step up from Motel 6 (although just like Motel 6, this La Quinta's room doors face the outside, so you can hear the maid's carts rolling by early in the morning. I rated this place 4 stars for the good value I got for $32 a night via Priceline. If I had paid the full $75 per night rate, I would have given it 3 stars probably.

• Stayed: May 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank maynard7
Reviewed 26 October 2004

We have stayed here several times because they accept pets. It has gotten increasingly bad over the past couple of years. The room maintenance is not good. Our last visit, for example, our toilet overflowed from the first and they kept trying to just stop gap the problem, instead of letting us switch rooms. We asked and they said they were too full, but didn't appear to be.

Then our continental breakfast consisted of moldy muffins. We complained and they didn't seem overly concerned and were serving the same the next day.

Then the maid didn't clean our room. We complained and they said someone would while we were out to dinner. At 10:30 pm we arrived back and the room wasn't done. We complained and the night manager acted like it wasnt' a big deal and offered for us to get our own linens and do it.

The next morning (check out) we complained about all of this again to the day manager and she gave us a discount. Over all, I could not recommend someone staying here.

• Stayed: October 2004
4  Thank Ally12
Reviewed 14 July 2004

We stayed in 2 rooms in this property.
Both were dirty, One had red stains on the bathroom door for 3 days! The remote was missing a battery. The carpet was stained right in front of the TV. The sink and tub didn't drain after using.
The bathtub was impossible to regulate temp.
The dumpster was emptied every day at 6:30 AM.
It sounded like the truck was coming in my room.
The desk staff was very pleasant, although I never saw the same person twice in 3 days.
The "Free Continental" breakfast consisted of frozen bagels and muffins and cereal. The coffee was good.
There should have been more fresh fruit

5  Thank NancyV