“room was very nice but staff was rude”

Howard Johnson Albuquerque Midtown
Ranked #70 of 143 Hotels in Albuquerque
Reviewed 26 September 2011

We checked into the hotel on the 24th of September. The gentleman that checked us in was great. The hotel was so charming. The hotel had a wonderful view. The beds were super comfortable. The room was great. The only bad thing was the morning staff.was rude. The breakfast lady was nasty. She announced to everyone that she was closing down breakfast, so we got up from our seats to go get the hot stuff and she was talking to another employee about the guest saying "What dont these people understand. Im closed." Then after that she served what appeared to be another employee with a smile. She was a nasty lady. The lady working the morning shift needed to be a little bit more friendly also. But other than that, the place rocked. It will not change my mind about staying there every time Im in albuquerque I will just go have breakfast else where.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank trisha575

Reviewed 23 September 2011

This is the first time my husband and I stayed here. Very unhappy. The young man that checked us in was rude and didn't explain anything about the hotel, usually they tell you all the things the hotel has to offer. This young man wouldn't even look us in the eye. We get to the room, even worse. There were two bath towels barely bigger than the hand towels and all the towels were spotted, rough and the bath mat was supposed to be white, but was very yellow. I walked to the bed it was comfortable, but there were old stains on the sheets also, we ended up sleeping on top of the comforter. Oh it gets better, we went looking for a drink there were three soda machines two were empty and the last one wouldn't take our money. They do offer you lemonade in the breakfast area. We did enjoy the balcony but I wouldn't let any children on there seeing as the rail was loose and one side wasn't even bolted down. All in all I wouldn't recommend this hotel unless you aren't expecting much.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Lisa--5050
Reviewed 16 September 2011

Honestly, Im actually shocked at all the review this place is getting. It was my first time in NM from Jersey. My King deluxe room was comfortable and a decent size. I had no problems during my stay and the staff was super nice (especially vance the driver..he is the best!). People's expectations are way too high, you cant obviously expect something like the doubletree or Marriott. Its either that or i must have gotten the best room in the place. The only thing I could say was that my room (facing the highway) was a bit noisy and there are no snack machines or food during the day. however The shuttle service is phenomenal. Like someone have said, its almost private (which is a good thing..just make sure you let them know a few hours before). I also enjoyed chilling in the hot tub by the pool.

anyways...they should reopen that restaurant attached to the place....because sometimes people dont want to go far for food.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Jaelyn_Selene
Reviewed 3 September 2011

We have been staying here for the past 6 years back forth from NV. Plaza Inn has always been a pleasure to deal with and the service has always been excellent. Great Breakfast!
This past stay was very important for family and friends to be worry free. As always Plaza Inn held up to thier standards. I had the pleasure working with Jo Ann in sales to secure enough rooms and worry free check ins. The comments from my family and friends were all excellent and Plaza Inn help ease the pain of any complications for anyone attending my fathers funeral. Thank You from Family.... Great Service! Great Staff!
God Bless You......

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank CharlesandMaria
PlazaInn, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Albuquerque Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2011

Thank you so much for your review and your kind comments. One of the benefits of working with an independant hotel, such as the Plaza Inn, is the opportunity to work on a one-to-one basis with individuals and families to provide the best possible experience. When I respond to guests comments - whether good or bad - I am completely sincere in urging our perspective or returning guests to communicate with me personally and I will do my utmost to make sure your stay is a pleasant one - or help you find another hotel.

Reviewed 3 September 2011

I stayed at this hotel in July during two different visits because my husband was in UNM Hospital. The first visit was for 8 days, the second for 4 days. We had to come back for a followup visit in August with the surgeon so I booked a third visit. The first two visits were not great and the third was the final straw. Between me and other family members we stayed in a total of 6 different rooms so I think we got a good idea of the general condition of things.
True, the rate was good (medical) and the staff was very nice, but the hotel is in very much need of some TLC. I am an apartment manager and I pay attention to details. I know if I don't keep up with maintenance and repairs at my complex it can quickly get away from you and snowball into a monster. The owner of this establishment needs to invest some time and money into the building, plumbing, cosmetics and training for the staff.
Here is a list of SOME of the things I observed during my extensive time there: the room furniture is old and worn - missing knobs, doors, etc.; closets don't have doors but the old tracks are still there and some have become dangerously loose; holes in the wall from doorknobs hitting; bathroom light fixture severly broken; mildew on ceiling above shower; bathtubs stained; some of the patio glass doors don't lock - must use a stick to secure; some linens, duvet covers and towels stained.
The last visit, though, made up my mind never to return. My husband and I checked in about 7pm and wanted to relax after a 4 1/2 hour drive. About 9pm we realized our bathtub was full of dirt, sand and hair! We called down to the front desk to complain and asked that the desk clerk come up to our room to see what was wrong. He indicated he was the only one there and had to wait until the shuttle driver came back before he could come up. We understood - but 45 minutes later when he still hadn't arrived we looked out our patio window and saw that the shuttle was sitting in the parking lot! We called again and the clerk offered to move us to another room because he said " yeah, the plumbing has backed up in the tub and it will take a 100-ft snake to clean it out and maintenance won't be available until the morning." We had no choice but to pack up our stuff and move to another room. No apologies, no comp, no nothing. I wonder if that room was even scheduled for the needed maintenance the next day or whether housekeeping just cleaned it up for the next schlub to check in.
Again, I know the staff is not responsible for the condition of the building or its functions, I blame it solely on the owner who obviously doesn't care about his/her reputation or if he/she gets repeat business. I just know they won't be getting mine.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business

I am writing this response directly to the guest, in hopes that she will read this and contact me personally so that I have the opportunity to compensate her for her unpleasant stay. First, please let me apologize for your inconvenience in having to move rooms. As to the overall condition of your rooms, our hotel, like most, have different priced rooms, and we are in a constant process of doing all we can to make the necessary repairs and maintenance. That said, we certainly want all of our guests to be comfortable and satisfied, particularly if you are here for an extended stay and it is certainly each staff member's responsibility to do all we can to ensure that happens.

I will speak to the frontdesk staff and use the information provided in the comment to try to contact this guests - but I urge anyone reading this to PLEASE, whether at our hotel or another, take the time to speak to a supervisor or manager - particularly if your complaint involves another staff member. We APPRECIATE your feedback and if this had been brought to my, or the Front Office Manager's attention when it happened, we could have resolved it immediately. Remember, most Guest Service Agents in hotels do not have the authority to compenstate a guest, without a supervisors approval. This, of course, does not excuse the guest not receiving an apology and an offer to assist with their changing rooms but again, had this been brought to our attention at the time, I wouldn't have to investigate to find out which staff member it might have been.

Of course, the management of the Plaza Inn want our guests to return and will gladly address any concerns you might have, so please feel free to contact myslef - or any othe management staff on your next visit.

Reviewed 22 August 2011

I would not recommend this hotel if you are traveling for pleasure. I definitely was very very mislead by the website pictures - they looked NOTHING like the real hotel room, lobby, and pool area. The place is very very old and the pool area was indoors and very hot and humid as there was no circulating air. It was old, dilapidated and I much rather would have paid the extra Fifty dollars to stay at the Marriot or Hilton or the Hard Rock. Next time if we ever stay in Albuquerque again I definitely will not be staying at this hotel. The people were nice but the place was a dump!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Billie Jo R
Reviewed 21 August 2011

I use to live in ABQ and this is the old Howard Johnson hotel (turquoise and orange structure) on what we called "Pill Hill" (all the medical offices below). This hotel should have been torn down years ago. I booked 4 nights because of the pictures/price and left after 1 night only because we were traveling with our 89 year old father. Here are few of the things, we found: Hotel smells, security door locks outside don't work-broken, no lamps in room, stained bedspread, floor in elevator peeling up, cast iron sinks chipped, cigarette butts outside on patio from previous guests, all furniture in room either torn or frayed from wear.

Room Tip: No best room
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Karin V F
PlazaInn, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Albuquerque Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2011

It is obvious this guest was very unhappy at our hotel and I would like to take this opportunity to assure anyone reading this that I am always available to our guests (in person or by phone) and if you have similar sentiments when you arrive, rest assured I will not only guarantee you will not be charged but I will personally assist in finding you other accommodations - not at our rates, of course.

I would actually be offended by these comments if I didn't hear so many compliments from guests and businesses, on a daily basis, as to how much they appreciate having a clean, affordable hotel, with breakfast and a shuttle, in the downtown - hospital district. We do serve an important service for those guests and do not think buildings should be torn down just because they are old, and as a designated Historical Neighborhood is directly behind us - I am sure those Albuquerque residents agree with us. As for the "pill hill" remark, I asked countless employees and residents if they had ever heard of this - or any part of University Heights referred to in such a derogatory way and without exception, no one ever has. I can only assume that nickname derived from this persons immediate peer group and their personal assocation with our medical community.