“PLAZA INN, Albuquerque NM”

Howard Johnson Albuquerque Midtown
Ranked #70 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Gallup NM USA
“PLAZA INN, Albuquerque NM”
Reviewed 13 August 2012

The Plaza Inn is now my FAVORITE ALBUQUERQUE HOTEL; I always check there first when going to Albuquerque. Specifics: VALUE: Plaza Inn advertises in the hotel coupon discount booklets, and they always accept their coupon rate. BALCONY: Every room in this five-story 100-room hotel has a large balcony with picture window; great views of downtown ABQ from the west side rooms; views of a medical arts complex on the East side. POOL AND SPA: This hotel has Albuquerque's biggest indoor pool, and a good jacuzzi-style whilpool spa. CLEANLINESS: I rate this as very good: No signs of any serious problem of cleanliness. LOCATION: Excellent location, at the end of downtown ABQ, convenient to everything else in town. BREAKFAST: Its a basic, simple breakfast, at the Canary Restaurant attached to the hotel. Parking is free. Considering the low room rates, the free breakfast is a positive bonus. I watch Anthony Melcouri's series on the Travel Channel on TV, "HOTEL IMPOSSIBLE." TV host Anthony M. would say that the Plaza Inn, early 1970s vintage, needs remodeling, but I disagree. The problem with remodeling is that the huge expense would result in higher rates; I prefer the economical rates that I get at Plaza Inn. Keep things just as they are now, Plaza Inn, I am happy with your hotel! Steve Buggie, Gallup NM

Room Tip: Room on west side of building have spectacular great view of downtown, but could be hot on summer af...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stephen B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Chico, California
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Paid too much for this hotel. The patio had cigarette butts, dirty carpet, tub didn't drain, dirty towels The hot tub was gross and should never be open to the public. The free breakfast consisted of small choice and wait staff acted annoyed because we were there. This hotel needs to be closed or would be a great choice for hotels impossible.

Room Tip: GO somewhere else!!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank cpcoco

Travellers are raving about these Albuquerque hotels

Raton, New Mexico, United States
Reviewed 8 August 2012

the stay there was great. it was very conveinyet to have a small resterant right outside. had a nice pool, weight lifting room, a balcony, and also started a social for people staying, with drinks and popcorn and a different food tuesday to thursday. they also have a free shuttle that will take you anywhere as long as its not further than 5 miles. the staff is the best. friendliest people ever! the rooms are pretty nice air conditioning and a dvd player even! cant beat that!!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Albuquerque
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Good Value! It was in a good location and easy to find. The rooms were clean and newly redecorated. The pool was indoors but was too hot to use. Outside deck was in poor condition. Choice of a hot breakfast which was good but the location was run down and no air conditioning. We would go back.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Anaheim, California
Reviewed 31 July 2012

I mentioned this multiple times to your staff. Simply put, your internet access is horrible to non-existent. When people stay for work purposes, you simply cannot get anything done if it requires the internet. I usually work in the evenings on work travel, and this was impossible. You barely check email, and even then only if you are very patient.

Here is the issue. I would bet that you are hemorrhaging customers by the truckload. If not, you will be soon enough. You can't wait to fix this. One the customers are gone, they are gone. You won't get them back. Even if you fix the internet access, because they will have already found other places to stay.

You need to fix this now! Not next month, and then pray that word of mouth can help you bounce back to the black.

Room Tip: Here is my point, you don't even list internet access as something to rate! It was horrible.
1 Thank 704John_Dough
PlazaInn, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Albuquerque Midtown, responded to this review, 4 August 2012
This is actually the first time I have had to address this complaint. In the two years I have been at Plaza Inn, I have had business people tell me, personally, how unusal it is to find such fast & reliable internet service at a hotel. I did, however, check with our front desk staff and they explained that the closer a room is to a router, the better the service - and some of the rooms further away actually do not get the best service so if a complaint was made, front desk would have simply moved the guest. I cannot find the reviewer, "John Dough" in our system - or anyone from Aneheim, CA, having stayed here in the past two months - and as that is the only information provide to us - I have no way to check the notes on his reservation to see if a complaint was actually made and how it was handled.

I always encourage any perspective guest to please, contact me personally if you have a problem or concern while at our hotel and give me a chance to address it before writing an anonamous review.
Albuquerque
Reviewed 26 July 2012

I stayed here for a conference for a total of 6 days. I found this hotel to be very clean, smelled fine to me and the bed was very comfortable. The shuttle service I used was easy and user friendly. Every driver was fast to pick up and was very nice. Breakfast was decent. The staff went out of their way to make me feel important and comfortable. I'm surprized actually reading the other reveiws. I had nothing but a very positive experience. The hotel is older so there are some minor repairs that are needed. I found in my room was mostly the wallpaper in the bathroom. I would recommend this hotel to my family and friends which really says something about this place :)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Thank you so much for your honest review. I too am confused as to the recent flood of bad comments - and when they give me no clue as to who wrote them, what room they stayed in, or if it is just someone who is with the hotel for other reasons. It is very disheartening because we do our very best to address and correct any guest's complaint. As with many businesses in this economy, we have recently had to lay-off some of our staff - but we have made sure that our commitment to caring for our guest's hasn't suffered. I encourage anyone who has a problem or complaint to please contact me personally and give me a chance to correct it - and if I can't resolve it - then I encourage you to write a comment specifically stating your concern and the fact that you brought your complaint to management and they did nothing to correct it.
Twin Falls, Idaho
Reviewed 25 July 2012

I am a poor college student so when i saw the pictures online for this hotel i said well for that price it looks pretty nice. well lets just say whom ever took those pictures and photoshop did a great job fooling me. Maybe at some point it used to be as nice as the pictures show but not any more. Yes, Customer Service was great, but the place seem to be falling apart. Complementary breakfast is served at the Canary Cafe right next to the hotel which when we walked it the cooks where pouring a bag of Bisquik to attempt to make some pancakes. yeah i understand it was a complimentary breakfast and no i did not expect a buffet of gourmet food but still, really? Even some fresh fruit would have been nice. The whole Inn smelled like cigarretes and when we open our room there was no switch to turn on the lights. We had to find our way into the bathroom to turn on the lights and be able to find the two small lamps that lit the rest of the room. By the way the bathroom towels and sheets on the bed had yellowish stains. Kind of disgusting! I have stayed in really bad hotels before and they were pretty well compared to this place. i could go on but im pretty sure you guys get the point.