“Nice price, but an older property”

Howard Johnson Albuquerque Midtown
Ranked #65 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We stayed two nights, and were satisfied with most things, but not everything. We paid $50 per night for a 2-Queen bed room. Checking in took a long time. The guy was nice, but couldn't see the screen very well, and the mouse didn't work well, and when he processed my credit card it wouldn't work at the desk, so he had to go to the office. The parking lot is small and the spaces even smaller. The interstate noise during the evening and early morning was our first acknowledgement about why it was such a low price for the room. For breakfast, we were looking forward to the one the offered free, which should have had eggs and bacon type items, along with cereal and toast. We got in there 30 minutes before the closing time and they had already put up all the eggs and bacon/sausage stuff. We had to eat, so we had toast and bagels and cereal unhappily. Two other couples came in while we there - both left unhappily. There isn't a place near the hotel to walk to and eat, so it was a problem. I would have felt better if they had posted a sign up saying they apologized for running out or had some kind of problem, but leaving us hanging was not good....especially when you have children. Another thing that wasn't pleasing was that we left the sign on the door that said "Do Not Disturb", but we got the inevitable knock on the door mid morning from the cleaning staff.

If we HAD to stay here again we would, but it certainly isn't our first choice. The staff was kind, and the place felt clean, but the customer service needs polished.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
HoJoSalesManager, General Manager at Howard Johnson Albuquerque Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2015

Good afternoon.

Thank you for staying at our property. I am so sorry about your experience at the property. We strive for our guest to have the best experience possible and we dropped the ball with your stay. We are a 100% non smoking hotel since i have started as GM. I am also very bothered by smoke and cannot stay in a room that smells of it. We are under new management and ownership and are cleaning up our hotel. It is no longer the Plaza Inn and is now the New Howard Johnson Hotel Midtown.

For that I am so sorry. We train our staff every week in cleaning our rooms as we would our homes. We also concentrate on training our team with excellent customer service. I hope that you can give us a second chance int he near future.

Our hotel is under going some amazing renovations in all of the public areas and the guest rooms, however the guests rooms may not be done until September of 2015. We would love for you to come and stay with us again and see our growing changes.

Our breakfast is our proudest growth and is totally amazing. We have a full hot breakfast buffet with scrambled eggs, cheese omelets, bacon, sausage, cinnamon rolls, french toast, gluten free bagels, boiled eggs, Otis Spunkmeyer Freshly baked muffins, Biscuits & Gravy, Yogurts , ...etc so much more. Also, from 4pm-8pm daily we have freshly baked cookies, iced lemon tea and hot coffee.

We also have a free local shuttle that goes within city limits and to the airport . Flat screen TV's in all guests rooms. A newly renovated Pool and hot tub, Pet Friendly, Wyndham reward program, Free USA Today newspapers & onsite catering for meetings and banquets. We have also transformed our lobby and have knocked down some walls to open it up and create a more open feeling. We also have Chalk Board paint on all of our breakfast tables where guests can draw and play games. This has been a huge success and we invite you to come and give us a second try. For Kids we have a Treasure chest, where every kid gets a toy and we have a designated kids Zone with toys and books. We are also transforming 20 rooms to Kid themed rooms with batman, Spiderman, minions, beauty and the beasts, Frozen, cinderella & many more. As you can see, like any aged diamond in the rough, with a little TLC, we are looking better and creating memorable stays for the better!

When you stay with us its better than staying with family! Were one of the cleanest properties in new mexico and we won't nag you.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

Although, I did pay only $40 a night the place was horrid!!! Sometimes you get EXACTLY what you pay for.
The staff was great, warm, considerate, and undrstanding when I wanted to check out after 1 night.
The place looked nothing like the website, maybe 15 years ago?! It was run down, it needs to be gutted and re-done. The view from the 4th floor was great, but the patio door, was shut, but let it all kinds of cool air & freeway noise. I had to put a suitcase in front of the entry door, because it was so loose, even when locked, that I feared someone might come in during the night!!!
The complimentary breakfast was great, cooks were nice & accommodating, but I got out of there as soon as I could, so I could start my business trip elsewhere!! Very mislead

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Cheryl M

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Everyone who works there is super nice, polite, and helpful, and the shuttle service is great. The first room I was in was clean, but it was very run-down and the air conditioning didn't work. They immediately moved me to a better room, a bigger one with a balcony at no extra cost. The beds weren't very comfortable, and I had to leave the bathroom light on or else it would take several minutes for it to fully come on, but again, it was clean. The breakfast was fine, and the evening popcorn was a nice touch. Overall, good for the price.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
PlazaInn, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Albuquerque Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Thank you so much for your candid review. As with any older hotel, we do have some rooms that are in better condition than others, and for perspective guests, please know that if you notify myself or the staff about any problems or concerns you have - we will do our best to take care of it in any way we can. The key is to let the staff know. Things like air conditioning / heating units or lights can go out from one stay to the next so we truly appreciate your letting us know. We hope to see you again at the Plaza!

Reviewed 31 October 2013

We always stay at The Plaza when we come to Albuquerque. So reliable, clean and friendly! A quality hotel. We haven't tried out the spa yet, we're so comfortable in the rooms we stay in that we always forget! The lending library is a very nice touch.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 28 October 2013

The wallpaper is peeling, there are stains on the carpets in the hallways, and stains in the ceiling of the bathroom. This place looks SO down on its luck -- like it used to be a nice place but has been allowed to slide downhill. The whole place has a gloomy feel to it. There were also some malfunctions -- the AC in my room couldn't keep it cool enough, and the thermostat in the workout room was evidently stuck at 79F! I left the hotel as soon as I could.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. There are lots of nice hotels in town.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Josh G

Reviewed 27 October 2013

We found this hotel on line, but wish we would have read some reviews first before booking. We picked this place because of location and price. The good points were the bathroom was clean the bed was comfortable and it was a quiet place. And there was plenty of parking.
That's all though. There were bugs running in the halls and on the floor near elevator. The bedding was ancient. There was rust stains in the sinks and I wish I had brought shower shoes. There were no doors on the closets, the carpet was old, everything was old, really. We had a sliding door that didn't close well, air came in. The heater in our room didn't work. The place was supposed to have an adjoining restaurant but it was closed.
The TV had 3 channels, though we did not go there to watch television. Despite it all, I had a nice time, BUT I will not ever return to this hotel.
I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL

Room Tip: PLEASE........Read the other reviews before booking here.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mame M

We all get varying reviews during Balloon Fiesta primarily due to the fact that we are sold out and not every one gets the best room in the hotel. The picture of "the bug" is a small beetle that is every home in Albuquerque this time of year. Our hotel is professionally sprayed every two weeks - but being in the southwest and with an open field adjacent to us, and sliding glass doors on the rooms - you are going to see a bug or two roaming around. I'm very glad you took a picture of the "ancient bedding". I can't use the other hotels name - but it is a large high end franchise directly across from us and if you pull up that hotels website you will see their double queen rooms with IDENTICAL bedding- not just close but identical, right down to the throw pillows. As a matter a fact, except for the curtains - you can't tell it isn't the room in this picture! It is true that the restaurant on-site closed unexpectedly and we have tried to make sure it is removed from all the websites that sell our property but some still have it listed and for this we certainly apologize. We hope to have another restaurant soon but until then, we do have a hot breakfast and our shuttle will gladly take you anywhere you like to eat.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

The staff is downright rude! Rooms are missing closet doors, balcony door doesn't close properly, floors are stained, beds and bedding are WORN out, the pool is nice and heated, had to get towels from staff, no delivery or room service here. Towels are old and stained! TVs are old and fuzzy. Hotel needs to be renovated and upgraded!!! Great location though

• Stayed: October 2013