“Overbooked, Unfriendly Staff”

Ranked #69 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Ann Arbor, MI
“Overbooked, Unfriendly Staff”
Reviewed 11 August 2008

I had a reservation at the Plaza Inn, but when I arrived in the evening, I had a very surly, unfriendly gentleman at the main desk tell me that the hotel was overbooked and that there were no rooms available. He then proceeded to tell me that I'd have to be sent to a different hotel, except that he didn't inform me what it's name was or where it was, and he didn't give me any transfer paperwork. When I arrived at the new hotel (which had quite friendly, knowledgeable staff), the asked for my transfer paperwork, which I didn't have. Thankfully, they gave me a room at a great price anyway.

As if this experience wasn't poor enough, the Plaza Inn proceeded to charge my credit card one night's stay for "not canceling my reservation" ahead of time. Although they did refund my credit card after talking to the manager, the entire experience was frustrating and unacceptable, and the staff (apart from the general manager) was rude and unprofessional.

• Stayed August 2008
1 Thank Runch

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Artesia, NM
Reviewed 6 August 2008

We were scheduled to stay two nights at the Plaza Inn for the purpose of taking our handicapped child to multiple medical appointments and procedures. We had requested a handicap room because our child uses a wheelchair for mobility. (Two prior phone calls were made to confirm our reservations.) Upon our arrival, the front desk clerk stated that our room was not ready that it was being cleaned. He suggested we go to the restaurant and he would call us when it was ready. So we agreed. (No phone call) Approximately one hour later we went back to the front desk to inquire about our room. The front desk clerk stated that some rooms were being reserved at the MCM 'Elegante would we like a room there??He proceeded to give us a key to a room to stay in at the Plaza Inn, while his manager came to the hotel to find on the computer an authorization letter we would take with us to MCM.The front desk clerk ask us not to use the room and stated "I know that sounds Ghetto". An hour and half after our arrival we left for MCM hotel. (Over booked) Very Dishonest- Should have been upfront with us from the beginning. We had traveled 250 miles with our child and were exhausted.

• Liked — Were not able to stay over booked. We had reservations!
  • Disliked — Lied to us and delayed time we were able to get into a room to rest.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank FaithHopeLove092

Travellers are raving about these Albuquerque hotels

Oklahoma
Reviewed 16 July 2008

Hotel definitely isn't the best cared for. Our room was sufficient for a two night stay - but if we had paid more than $88 dollars for our room I would have been a bit upset. It was clean - but run down. The staff was friendly, though a bit too 'familiar' for my taste. There were times I felt I was intruding on their space. The one redeeming thing about this hotel is the fantastic shuttle service. No need to worry about driving or paying taxi fare if you want to go have some fun downtown or at Nob Hill.

• Liked — Shutte Service
  • Disliked — Slimy film on the hot tub.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SaucheyR
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 26 June 2008

We read all the previous reviews, many of them not very good. But we took a chance anyway and stayed for two nites. The photo does look like the hotel, although probably enhanced a bit in photoshop. We found the front desk staff very helpful and friendly. We were told the entire hotel had been renovated. We were on the 4th floor in a room facing the front of the hotel (the back faces the freeway) and we found it very clean and quiet, with a very comfortable bed. The only noise we heard were other guests yelling and laughing in the hallway early one morning (while we were still sleeping), and what can you do about inconsiderate guests? We did not get a chance to see if the rooms across from us were 25% bigger, as one previous poster stated. But it wouldn't have mattered to us anyway. The indoor pool and hot tub were very clean, although the deck outside was closed due to a broken railing. We travel on occasion, and our only real demand is that our rooms be clean, which our room was. The staff were very welcoming and they try hard to accommodate the travelers - since it is a bit further away from downtown than other hotels, they even have a shuttle for their guests. We had a car so we did not use the shuttle. Another previous poster stated something about strangers coming into their room. There is a lock on the door on the inside to prevent this, just in case anyone is worried about it. The bathroom does not have a vent - for some reason it was permanently closed, so when you shower the mirror does get steamed up. Other than that, we enjoyed our stay at this hotel and the price was reasonable.

• Liked — Cleanliness, reasonable room price
  • Disliked — Bathroom does not have a vent, so after you shower the mirror is all steamed up.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kathyinaustin
New Jersey
Reviewed 21 May 2008

We had a group of people out in Early May off 2008
The rooms were great,
The employees did a great job.

We had gone thru there sales Department.
And the woman there did a fantasic job ever thing was very smooth.

Only one little problem and that was taken care of that day.

My next time back to ABQ this is where we will be staying again

Rooms very clean and updated plenty of room

• Liked — clean and neat
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2008
1 Thank hoss18
Wisconsin
Reviewed 6 May 2008

The picture is not correct, or it was taken YEARS ago. .

But however, The shuttle was Fantastic, the rooms were CLEAN and comfortable.

The cleaning staff was always cleaning, doors, windows, vacuuming. I think it was very clean, and I think they are trying very hard. (when is the last time you seen people scrubbing the woodwork around hotel doors)

There were elevator problems, key room problems they overbook rooms, (so than the front desk people are cranky) and a few minor things.

The prices were great, the food at the restaurant next door was great, and the bar next door well let's just say for US WISCONSIN people think they could of stay opened longer. Prices were pretty good though.

VERY SAFE!!!!

I would recommend a car as you are long ways from everything and trying to coordinate the shuttle all the time is a pain. (BUT THEY WILL DO IT)

Would I stay here again. If I am on a budget, YES I WOULD!! If I am not!! (no I would stay at the Hyatt)

By the way we stayed there 7 nights, and If I wouldn't of thought it wasn't safe or clean I would of moved after the 2nd night (because the 1st night they overbooked us and after staying in the hotel they put us up in WOW, I wanted to go back but mucho dollars)

Hope this helps
Thanks Wendy

• Liked — The shuttle service was great!!!
  • Disliked — The front desk staff
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank WisconsinWen
ND
Reviewed 6 March 2008

The reviews I saw on this before we went said the place was decent. I guess I'm not exactly sure what decent is as the staff was rude and the rooms were gross, dirty and worn. The pictures on the Priceline website are very inaccurate! We were moved to 3 different rooms before we actually got one that was cleaner (not clean) than the others. Everything was worn and the doors were falling off the hinges of the entertainment center. The pool was dirty as well as the hot tub. We were getting ready for bed one night and strangers came in, as they were rented the same room! So I guess if you like to stay where things are disgusting, unfriendly and you may be able to share your room with strangers, than stay here!

• Liked — NOTHING
  • Disliked — CLEANLINESS OF THE ROOM
  • Stayed March 2008