“Plaza Inn ABQ May 2014 - Good”

Howard Johnson Albuquerque Midtown
Ranked #70 of 143 Hotels in Albuquerque
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I had a series of meetings in Albuquerque at the Embassy Suites, which was going to cost over $125/day. Looking on Google I saw the Plaza in was just across the street. I saw some very conflicting reviews here, and for the difference in price I thought I'd check it out. I called and talked to Joanne, who explained some things I didn't know.
The way I understand it Tripadvisor gets income from the various properties. The properties must sign up and there is some kind of remuneration changes hands. I suppose the hotel gets a more prominent position in the results or such. When the Plaza Inn declined to sign up suddenly the uncomplimentary reviews started showing up.

Joanne asked me to check the Plaza on other rating services, and sure enough, the ratings were higher.

So we went and stayed nearly a week.

Notes:
The staff was super.
It was clean,
The bed was good
Our first night we were on the side facing the highway. I'm a light sleeper so I was disturbed by the occasional motorcycle, so we moved to the other side.
Hot tub was excellent except the one night it was closed for maintenance.
The bathrooms have been recently remodeled.
The shuttle was prompt
The lighting in the room was poor. It got better after we had a bulb replaced. They had 130V bulbs, which last a long time but throw less light. I would have liked a lamp on the desk, too
The breakfast was hot and fresh
There are a few places where the wall paper is peeling, and there is various maintenance work that is needed for appearances. The A/C worked as it should (pet peeve of mine)
The view at sunset is magnificent.
The staff was super.

If somebody else were paying the bill, sure I would go to Embassy, but for my money I am well pleased with the Plaza

Room Tip: The one elevator is near the lobby, so a low numbered room is more convenient.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank t b
PlazaInn, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Albuquerque Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Thank you so much for your unbiased and accurate account of your stay! In responding to all reviews I ask the readers to please contact me or any of the staff so that we can address your concerns and make you as comfortable as possible. I'm so glad you did so and took the initiative to call and check other website reviews. Thanks for staying with us and we hope to see you again!

Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

This hotel was the best and the morning staff was great! They helped me alot on my question to be answered. I hardly stayed in the room cuz I was all over Albuquerque and having fun. The pool was great but still need to work on the weight room but other then that everything was great! Im staying here next time when I come back to Albuquerque

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Thank alejandroram123... .
HoJoSalesManager, General Manager at Howard Johnson Albuquerque Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2015

Good afternoon.

Thank you for staying at our property. I am so sorry about your experience at the property. We strive for our guest to have the best experience possible and we dropped the ball with your stay. We are a 100% non smoking hotel since i have started as GM. I am also very bothered by smoke and cannot stay in a room that smells of it. We are under new management and ownership and are cleaning up our hotel. It is no longer the Plaza Inn and is now the New Howard Johnson Hotel Midtown.

For that I am so sorry. We train our staff every week in cleaning our rooms as we would our homes. We also concentrate on training our team with excellent customer service. I hope that you can give us a second chance int he near future.

Our hotel is under going some amazing renovations in all of the public areas and the guest rooms, however the guests rooms may not be done until September of 2015. We would love for you to come and stay with us again and see our growing changes.

Our breakfast is our proudest growth and is totally amazing. We have a full hot breakfast buffet with scrambled eggs, cheese omelets, bacon, sausage, cinnamon rolls, french toast, gluten free bagels, boiled eggs, Otis Spunkmeyer Freshly baked muffins, Biscuits & Gravy, Yogurts , ...etc so much more. Also, from 4pm-8pm daily we have freshly baked cookies, iced lemon tea and hot coffee.

We also have a free local shuttle that goes within city limits and to the airport . Flat screen TV's in all guests rooms. A newly renovated Pool and hot tub, Pet Friendly, Wyndham reward program, Free USA Today newspapers & onsite catering for meetings and banquets. We have also transformed our lobby and have knocked down some walls to open it up and create a more open feeling. We also have Chalk Board paint on all of our breakfast tables where guests can draw and play games. This has been a huge success and we invite you to come and give us a second try. For Kids we have a Treasure chest, where every kid gets a toy and we have a designated kids Zone with toys and books. We are also transforming 20 rooms to Kid themed rooms with batman, Spiderman, minions, beauty and the beasts, Frozen, cinderella & many more. As you can see, like any aged diamond in the rough, with a little TLC, we are looking better and creating memorable stays for the better!

When you stay with us its better than staying with family! Were one of the cleanest properties in new mexico and we won't nag you.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Great price, but the place was a bit run down. There was no lighting at all at the desk. Room just seemed dark. Cancelled another reservation we originally had. Would not recommend. Just felt "icky". Just not worth it.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

The tub was really clean, thank goodness. The bed was comfortable. The Lighting was a bit low for my tastes. We were in a room overlooking the highway(3 rd floor), so noisy but not unexpected. Didn't partake of breakfast so I can't comment on it.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

This place is a terrible. It is outdated and filthy. The only plus the rooms are relatively quiet. Therefore they are small and the furniture is worn out. Everything smells old and smoky. Don't stay there. Pay the extra few $ and stay at a decent place.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Oliver H
PlazaInn, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Albuquerque Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

This is the second review I have responded to concerning the smell of smoke. As I have said before, we do have two smoking rooms on the basement level, which makes me wondered if the reviewers may have been on that level. As with all hotels, we have different room types at different rates, and if one was to book on line at an exceptionally reduced rate, one should expect to be in the best room in the hotel. If we are sold-out, guest have to be situated as to price paid and as this reviewer states "you get what you pay for..." That being said, if any guest - at any rate - would just let our staff know about their concerns - we will do our very best to make them comfortable - and if we can't - we will refund their money and help them find another hotel.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

EVERYTHING Reeks of smoke, elevator ceiling missing, 24-hour coffeebar is a joke, pool not open, breakfast food looked scary, & my feet were black from going barefoot in the room. Got Premium Cable? No! Great mattress though.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

"EVERYTHING Reeks of smoke"...to coin the reviewers term, "Really?" There are only 2 SMOKING rooms in our 120 room, 6 floor hotel - and they are in the basement - at the very end of the hall on a separate ventilation system. We even have a strict policy, which guests sign at check-in - notifying them that $250 will be charged for anyone smoking in a non-smoking room.

I checked with Maintenance and they did have to take panels out of one of our two elevators in order to work on the lighting...and as with all hotels, our pool has to be cleaned and maintained so there are times when it is closed - but only for short amounts of time. I apologize for the cable not being "Premium" but we subscribe to the only cable company in town so there is little we can do in that area. I'm also unsure as to what the reviewer expected our 24 hr. coffee bar to be - but we have an automatic coffee dispenser with regular, decaf & hot water for tea - with all the sugars, creamers, ect. located in our breakfast area with comfortable chairs & tables and even a flatscreen, color TV for the guest's use.

The most disturbing comment in the review was "my feet were black from going barefoot in the room".! Our carpets are cleaned on a schedule, as are all hotels, but suitcases and luggage racks are pulled in from the parking lot daily - not to mention people coming and going from outside - Honestly, there is not a hotel in existence where a person should go barefoot on the carpet and I would not recommend anyone reading this review to do so - in our hotel - or any other.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

I wish I could give a nice rating but this property failed on all accounts. The hallway stank. The room had only one lamp near the bed that worked only at the switch. Nothing worked with a switch except the bathroom. This is unsafe as there was no way to turn on a light when entering your room. This is inexcusable as it is a safety issue. The location is horrific, not a thing in walking distance - would never stay there again. It also took forever to check in. Nice older gentleman working there but slow as can be. Breakfast was like the army... you had to get a coupon for some slimy gravy handed out by a rude drill sergeant. No thanks!

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
PlazaInn, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Albuquerque Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

I'm sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us, but we most certainly meet "fire codes" and all other required inspections. Every room in the Plaza Inn has a switch at the door which turns on a ceiling light. All rooms also have at least two (2) additional lamps - on the night stand and on the desk. The larger rooms have three (3) lamps plus the overhead. It is the Executive Housekeeper's policy to have all the lights left on when a room is cleaned until she has inspected the room to insure that all the lights fixtures are working for the next guest. If anyone reading this response has any type of similar complaint, please notify front desk so that it can be resolved immediately.