Howard Johnson Albuquerque Midtown
Ranked #68 of 143 Hotels in Albuquerque
Reviewed 1 January 2009

We got in late and were told that we did not have a reservation when I had the printed confirmation from the website. The unfriendly clerk found us a room but it was not the deluxe king that we had booked and it was not $62. It was small, stinky, with broken furniture and cost us $79. I would not stay in this hotel again and I will not book a room through the website that we used again either.

3  Thank GrandmaS4

Reviewed 22 November 2008

While it may not look like a great hotel on the outside (average looking), the rooms are great. Large beds, couch, chair, desk, hot water and very functional shower (those that have stayed at hotels where the tubs do not drain will appreciate this). Wireless computer access is free and works great--strong signal. And they have a computer in the lobby for those without a laptop. Breakfast is hot (eggs, biscuits, gravy, waffles, etc.). Pool is large and inside. Hot tub indoors also. Right off an interstate and close to downtown. A wonderful deal. Overall...great room. Clean. Great Wireless. Large room.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mantisgirl
Reviewed 30 October 2008

We booked this motel back in Jan.2008 for the balloon fest in Oct 2008. Sometime after booking I read some of the reveiws and was worried about our stay their. Their was no need to worry as we had a great stay. Check in was great. People were nice. Room was great. Had a few lights out in our room and within 30 minutes of telling the fron desk things were taken care of. Resturant and bar next door were great. If we are ever in the area again we will be staying at the Plaza Inn.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank holmen22
Reviewed 13 August 2008

I was attending a government agency sponsored conference. All conference participants were asked to stay at this particular hotel as it was close to the conference facility and we could arrange transportation and easily meet before and after the days events if necessary. We were there for a week. The hotel was full the entire time we were there.

Had I been traveling on my own I would have checked out the next day. For the price they were charging I could have stayed in a nicer Days Inn. The staff was friendly and most were doing their best but there were still numerous problems.

The so called "business center" was one older CPU in the lobby. It could not even accept a flash drive. It was generally in use by the children of the staff on duty at the time. They had to ask the kids to let the "guests" use the computer. I know that most people travel with their own laptops but if you need a printer a "business center" is handy.

The elevators did not always work. They would stop at random floors or not stop on any of the selected floors but go straight to the top floor or the lobby (that is if they even came when called).

The room had broken furniture, a broken sliding glass door, broken air conditioning. Oh, the air conditioning worked, it was just impossible to turn it off or adjust the temperature. There wasn't a fan in the bathroom. On two occasions I had to ask for towels and wash cloths. According to the front desk they had run out. When I did get towels they were stained (or maybe dirty) and they had some mystery logos on them. Did they barrow them from some other hotel? Did they buy them at a flea market? Who knows?

The "fitness room" was a small room in the basement that obviously did not get regular maintenance or cleaning. There were two bikes. Both were "functional" but had something broken or non-working so neither was really comfortable or could perform as intended. There was one elliptical trainer with a broken foot pad and there was a small universal set-up whose hand grips, seats and benches were deteriorating.

The continental breakfast was not worth whatever extra fee they were charging. There were two days that they actually ran out of food and coffee.

I did not take advantage of the pool of the Jacuzzi. I just assumed they would be as poorly maintained as the rest of the hotel.

The restaurant was fine for a Denny's type place and the bar was sort of a local dive hang out which was also fine.

Security was an issue. The door from outside to the pool area was unlocked at night on more than one occasion. Anyone could enter the pool area then walk right into back area of the hotel. Something happened to the "room key" system and everyone staying in the hotel needed to be re-issued keys. The person working at the front desk never asked for any ID. He only asked for a room number and then he gave the person a key. He could have been giving keys to anyone! As I stated previously, the hotel was full.

The photos of the exterior, the rooms, lobby and the fitness center are not accurate. Maybe that is how it looked years ago.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank Duree
Reviewed 11 August 2008

I had a reservation at the Plaza Inn, but when I arrived in the evening, I had a very surly, unfriendly gentleman at the main desk tell me that the hotel was overbooked and that there were no rooms available. He then proceeded to tell me that I'd have to be sent to a different hotel, except that he didn't inform me what it's name was or where it was, and he didn't give me any transfer paperwork. When I arrived at the new hotel (which had quite friendly, knowledgeable staff), the asked for my transfer paperwork, which I didn't have. Thankfully, they gave me a room at a great price anyway.

As if this experience wasn't poor enough, the Plaza Inn proceeded to charge my credit card one night's stay for "not canceling my reservation" ahead of time. Although they did refund my credit card after talking to the manager, the entire experience was frustrating and unacceptable, and the staff (apart from the general manager) was rude and unprofessional.

• Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank Runch
Reviewed 6 August 2008

We were scheduled to stay two nights at the Plaza Inn for the purpose of taking our handicapped child to multiple medical appointments and procedures. We had requested a handicap room because our child uses a wheelchair for mobility. (Two prior phone calls were made to confirm our reservations.) Upon our arrival, the front desk clerk stated that our room was not ready that it was being cleaned. He suggested we go to the restaurant and he would call us when it was ready. So we agreed. (No phone call) Approximately one hour later we went back to the front desk to inquire about our room. The front desk clerk stated that some rooms were being reserved at the MCM 'Elegante would we like a room there??He proceeded to give us a key to a room to stay in at the Plaza Inn, while his manager came to the hotel to find on the computer an authorization letter we would take with us to MCM.The front desk clerk ask us not to use the room and stated "I know that sounds Ghetto". An hour and half after our arrival we left for MCM hotel. (Over booked) Very Dishonest- Should have been upfront with us from the beginning. We had traveled 250 miles with our child and were exhausted.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank FaithHopeLove092
Reviewed 16 July 2008

Hotel definitely isn't the best cared for. Our room was sufficient for a two night stay - but if we had paid more than $88 dollars for our room I would have been a bit upset. It was clean - but run down. The staff was friendly, though a bit too 'familiar' for my taste. There were times I felt I was intruding on their space. The one redeeming thing about this hotel is the fantastic shuttle service. No need to worry about driving or paying taxi fare if you want to go have some fun downtown or at Nob Hill.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple