“Great location & Staff”

Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town
Ranked #10 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Reviewed 29 April 2014

The staff was wonderful, room was nice, clean. The beds could have been a little better, but were fine. View from our room was great, woke to hot air balloons in the distance. Food was great, drinks even better! Recommendations for places to eat & things to do from staff were spot on. Great location, right next to Old Towne and close to Petroglyphs, Sandia Tram, Airport. This was for a girls weekend and we enjoyed our first visit to Albuquerque!

Room Tip: We booked a room with balcony. We were on the 6th floor and had a nice view. There were 3 of us in...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank mikesR9267QT
Molly R, General Manager at Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Dear mikesR9267QT, Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our property, your comments are very much valued. We are so pleased you had a wonderful girls weekend and enjoyed your first visit to Albuquerque! We really appreciate your comments regarding our great food, location, staff, and clean guestroom. Thank you again, and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Albuquerque!

There are newer reviews for Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town

998 - 1,004 of 1,779 reviews

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Spent 6 days at this property in April and the overall experience is very positive.

Arrived late (11:30 PM) and check in was a breeze. Desk staff was extremely friendly and even had a laugh with me when I asked about restaurants open at that hour. I was reminded that this is Albuquerque, not New York so dinner options after 10:00 are limited to "Maison du Shell Station" down the block. LOL

I had a suite on the third floor with a decent balcony. The room was very clean and the amenities were a small refrigerator and an in room coffee maker. A microwave would have been a good extra but no big deal. Bedding was very comfortable and housekeeping staff was excellent throughout my stay. The hotel also included free wireless but, honestly, that's a sometime thing.

The restaurant (Gardunos) has excellent food and the lounge/ bar is extremely comfortable. However, in a continuing theme, I was reminded that this isn't NY. Service is uniformly friendly and just as uniformly s...l...o...w. I can't really blame the Hotel though since it was no different in the local restaurants where one dinner (again, excellent crepes) took 2 1/2 hours. Note to self: Allow a LOT of time for meals.

The common areas in the hotel are nicely done to evoke the southwestern scheme but the general property just looks a bit tired. Still the courtyard is a great place to hang out and relax.

Overall, I had a very enjoyable stay at this property and I would recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank johngalt_ny

Dear johngalt_ny, Thank you for your review. We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback about your stay. We are very pleased your overall experience was very positive. We really appreciate your wonderful comments regarding our restaurant Gardunos, front desk and guestroom cleanliness. Thank you once more for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Hotel Albuquerque to demonstrate our excellent quality, services and future improvements to our product.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

I was there for a business conference, The staff was great and out did themselves to make our 3 days of meetings the greatest. The food that they provided was top notch.

The Hotel was clean and there was plenty to do nearby. My room had a balcony that had a good view, and my room was very clean.

I would recomend that you stock your room with your own beverages because the lounge is spendy. But overall the staff was great and I plan on going to this hotel again on a vacation.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony if you can...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Lmm1174

Dear Lmm1174, Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our property, your comments are very much valued. We really appreciate your comments regarding our great food, cleanliness, and guestrooms views. We appreciate the feedback on items that would improve every guest stay. Thank you again, and we look forward to seeing you on your next vacation to Albuquerque

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Easy access off the freeway. Walking distance to Old Town. We ate in the hotel restaurant which was very good and included a couple of singers during dinner (a nice touch). Room was a bit disappointing as we had booked a room with a separate vanity, but it did not have that. Room was large enough but awkward with the rest room door swing. Beware of the water temperature. It took at least five minutes for hot water to reach our shower on the 9th floor, and after 1 1/2 showers all the hot water was gone. Seems like others have complained about this... it is true and NOT what one would expect for a room costing over $150 per night. Ample parking, but we would not stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank maruruss99

Dear maruruss99, Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our property, your comments are very much valued. We appreciate your comments regarding our location and restaurant. We truly value your feedback about our guestrooms and water temperature. We take these issues very seriously and have addressed your concerns. Our commitment to investing in our property will continue. Thank you again for the feedback, we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

I stayed one night at this hotel on business and for one night it was fine. There were a couple of things, however, that bothered me and I wished I'd been more aware of before I booked it. Although I was staying alone they put me in a room with two double beds, which was alright but wasn't very considerate, especially since I'm tall and I'm longer than the bed. The bathroom was very cramped and the televisions was old with a very limited range of channels. But what bothered me most was that there was not a safe in the room and I needed to leave the room with my laptop and credit cards etc., without the additional security of a safe. Adding to my sense of unease was the fact that people could enter the hotel from a side door right next to the elevator without passing by the front desk or any hotel employees. You don't have to use a key to go up and down the elevators so it would be so easy for a thief to enter and exit with someone's belongings. My next gripe is that the gym is terrible. It's a tiny, ugly, claustrophobic little room with creaky, outdated equipment. Yick. If I was staying there more than one night it would be a deal breaker. Also, I had a very early morning flight out upon departure so when I checked in I asked the person at the front desk about whether I would be able to get a taxi at 5:30 am. I believed that she had arranged to have one there for me. Right before turning in for the night, I went to the front desk to confirm with a different person working there that there would be a taxi at 5:30 am. When I get the lobby the next morning, no taxi. It took the person working there three phone calls to a dispatcher to get a taxi there by 5:50 am. When you're traveling on business, these things matter.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear James J, Thank you for your review. We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback about your stay. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience of not receiving a king bed. We understand the importance of having a good night’s rest. We truly value the information about our guestrooms and amenities that would improve every guest stay. Thank you once more for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Hotel Albuquerque to demonstrate our excellent quality, services and future improvements to our product.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

The main reason I booked this hotel was that it advertised an outdoor swimming pool and seemed to offer luxury accommodations. My10 yr old granddaughter and I had traveled throughout New Mexico and we looked forward to spending the last three days of our trip at this hotel. From the moment we checked in it was a total disappointment My granddaughter excitedly asked where the pool was.. The young woman at the desk rudely responded "The pool is closed until May" I asked why this was not specified on the website and she responded "I don't know" and walked away. The young man left to check us in was not much friendlier. When we got to our room, we noticed a constant banging noise and realized that the front door of the room was banging back and forth from a stream of wind coming off the hallway; obviously in need of repair. We had to
move ourselves into another room on a higher floor as no one offered to help with our luggage or even apologized for this! When we finally got into the second room, we noticed that there was a huge space in the armoire where a refrigerator should have been. I called housekeeping to request one and was told "we don't have any left because they have all been given out". I asked if there were any microwaves and was told there were none. I asked if there was a microwave anywhere in the hotel that a guest could use and was told there was not. The only hotel entertainment left was the TV. What a joke! The TV looked like it had been recovered from a 90's
swap meet. Not even flatscreen with a cable selection so limited that my granddaughter finally said "just turn it off grammiie, there's nothing on it for me". So we tried the wifi. Another joke. Even though logged into the hotel, we constantly got "server not responding". The location is not enough to make up for the total lack of basic amenities in this hotel. We stayed at hotels in new mexico for half the price that offered flatscreens, keurig coffee makers and friendly caring staff..
Not once in three days did one staff member ask how things were. When I checked out, the young man at the desk hardly looked at me and didn't even thank me! This hotel is all outward flash but shows no regard for the everyday comfort and convenience of it's guests. Maybe ok for conventioners who just want to hang at the bar but Not The Place for Families, Children or mothers that need to store and warm some milk for their child. Take my advice: Stay somewhere else. That's what I'll tell all I know.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank enki E

Dear enki E, Thank you for your review. We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback about your stay. We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced while you were here. We understand how disappointed you and your granddaughter must have been when finding out our outdoor swimming pool was not open for the season. We have spoken to all staff about providing friendly and informative service to all guests as this is our main priority to make guests comfortable and feel welcome. All departments are taking the necessary steps to ensure all team members continue to provide warm and welcoming service. Thank you once more for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you to Hotel Albuquerque in the future to demonstrate our excellent quality and service.

Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Small complaints can be measured in their appropriate context when management seems to care...not so when those little complaints begin to add up and the management offers no apology or recourse. A single towel left for a room that quite clearly has two occupants. A used coffee cup left on the desk for two days. A telephone that offers dial tone...and nothing else. All of these are little things--and easily fixed...IF the management cares. IF they seem to offer apology. Those IFs are big ones here. Again, all of this would have been manageable had we not had to go down the front desk (phone didn't work..) to complain about a parade of raucous guests down the hallway after 1 a.m. Not a few guests, not an isolated incident; clearly a large party from with a block of rooms together--many of whom were quite clearly underage. Bad management to put a room NOT with the group in the midst of it. After about a half hour, we opened the door to ask our fellow guests for a little courtesy--only to find several security guards already outside our room, assuring us they were "taking care of it." After another half an hour passed, a seemingly unaffiliated group came off the elevators in high spirits (pun intended). This was at about 2 a.m. We went downstairs to lodge a complaint (the guards having left) and were told by the head of security that he had no prior knowledge of the issue...sum total of the experience was that, upon returning upstairs, we were met by the unmistakeable smell of marijuana from the room across the hall. Par for the course. To their credit-- though after a long and noisy process--hotel security did require the large party of guests in that room to leave the hotel.
We were then charged for the night, though the night manager had promised otherwise.
The hotel clerk offered no apology for what would have otherwise been a simple complaint...likewise for the other small issues mentioned at the top of this paragraph.
In other words, management needs to make a note to all of their personnel that this is a customer service industry. Their attitude toward their customers needs to be made paramount to the experience.
The rest of it can be managed if it's addressed and solved with just a little hint of a smile...

Stayed: April 2014
Gretchen G, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Dear Ajennda, we appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback of your stay with us. Allow is to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay as this is not up to par with our service standards. We have spoken to all staff about providing friendly and informative service to all guests as this is our main priority to make guests comfortable and feel welcome. All departments are taking the necessary steps to ensure all team members continue to provide warm and welcoming service. Thank you once more for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you to Hotel Albuquerque in the future to demonstrate our excellent quality and service.