“This is an enjoyable, well-located hotel with restaurants and bar.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town

Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town
Ranked #13 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
El Paso
“This is an enjoyable, well-located hotel with restaurants and bar.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2010

It's nice to experience an independent hotel after the sameness of the chains. This hotel is on the perimeter of Old Town, so you can walk to shopping and dining. We had a junior suite, which is quite spacious, though a glance into the regular rooms indicated that they were large as well. The Cafe Plazuela has a good menu and a nice small bar (if QBar is closed, which was the case on Thanksgiving). Junior suites have small refrigerators, but no microwave, which I thought was strange. The maid on our floor was especially helpful in cleaning our room when it was convenient. Evidently the Albuquerque CVB doesn't provide nice tear-off maps of the city to the hotels, as is often the case elsewhere. And the maps of Old Town provided at the desk were terrible b&w copies of a color brochure, which we later found had not been reprinted as needed. I know it's "save money time," but dollars spent for tourism frequently pay off with more dollars in return..

Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (484)
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2010

I traveled to Albuquerque to attend a conference. The conference was being held at the Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town, so I booked my room there too. The hotel is beautiful and the rooms are way above average. In regards to the rooms, there is plenty of space (bed, desk, small sofa, huge bed.) The bathrooms are a good size too. The rooms are very quiet--I was right next to the elevators and ice machine and I never heard anything. The hotel restaurants are superb. The food was wonderful and not too expensive. The meeting/conference rooms were perfectly adequate for my conference's needs. The location is great because you are only 1 block North from Old Town, and 2 blocks West of the Natural History Museum and the Museum of Modern Art.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2010

Apart from the breakfast which was excellent this is a tired hotel in need of a refit.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hotel_ABQ_Management, Manager at Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town, responded to this review, 22 November 2010
Hotel Albuquerque at old town would like to thank this guest for his kind words about our cuisine and apologize that the rest of the facilities did not match his expectations. Also, if the guest reads my response, I would love for you to expand a bit more on your review (my e-mail address is dollom@hhandr.com). A few details go a long way in our management staff's efforts to improve the overall guest experience. Thank you!
nm
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2010

I had been wanting to stay here for a while, so I booked two rooms for my 3 young- adult kids and me. We enjoyed the service and location. The rooms were small, the lights in the dressing room didn't work, no frig., but we loved the little balcony, the view, and location.
On Friday night after a long day driving for me, the kids went out, and I stayed in to get some rest. I had just dozed off when a disturbing noise woke me up---- I realized it was the fire alarms. I checked the door, opened, looked in the hall, went back to the balcony, looked out, back to the hallway, seeing no-one in any direction, I frantically called the desk. No luck--, for some reason my phone won't connect to the desk---- I am thinking of evacuating in my pj's as the alarm still sounds. VERY FRIGHTENING!! I dial room service still seeking info. Whoever answered sort of laughed when I explained my confusion and they told me the fajitas had set off the alarm... do not evacuate. O.k. I try to go back to sleep. The noisy AC wakes me up every time it shifts gears.
The next night, after a nice day at the Sandia Spa (sorry, no spa at Hotel A.) and a great birthday celebration uptown, we tuck in late and plan to sleep in till check-out on Sunday.
Around 6:00 am, I recognize the sound!!! Fire alarms!! My daughter and I are both frantically trying to decide what to do. Surely there are no fajitas cooking now! When I finally get hold of the desk, I am told that they do not know why the alarms are sounding. Funny, I think! I always thought that fire alarms mean you should evacuate!!. Then, the desk tells me that security has checked everything, and we are all o.k.
Back to bed, we go, only to be startled awake two more times. We don't even try to go back to sleep after the third alarm. VERY ANNOYING.
When I was checking out, I complained about the alarms. The kind desk attendant asked if I would like to speak to the manager. Yes! I explained how disturbing I had found the fire alarms. The manager rather abruptly told me that the alarms were there for guest safety, and that something had occurred in a room-- out of their control-- so they would not be held responsible for my dissatisfaction. Too bad. VERY DISAPPOINTING! I explained that for 31 years, I had worked as a public school teacher who evacuated EVERY student EVERY time the fire alarm sounded---- just to be safe. The manager rudely told me that it wasn't in her authority to offer any compensation for my discomfort.
As I was paying out, the desk clerk told me that indeed the fire dept. had arrived that morning and had found an ice machine that was leaking into a smoke detector.
I just wonder how many times you cry wolf before there really is an emergency in this old building. I won't stay at Hotel Albuquerque again. I hate fire alarms!! especially when you plan only to relax. To top it off --- to be treated condescendingly by the manager was TOO much.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hotel_ABQ_Management, Manager at Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town, responded to this review, 1 December 2010
Hotel Albuquerque at old town would like to apologize for this guest’s disappointing experience. The fajitas in Café Plazuela have been guilty of setting off our alarms in the past, but they are worth it and we do our best to prevent it from happening. The next morning we did have a problem. A four inch water pipe was leaking directly above one of our smoke detectors which caused the alarm. Once no fire was detected in that area, the alarm was silenced. Unfortunately, the water continued to leak and cause the alarm to sound again. It is our practice to not compensate our guests for “false alarms” as they are usually beyond our control and we train our management staff accordingly. This, however, was a rare circumstance which caused more than one false alarm and I would love the opportunity to make this right. I am the Director of Operations and can be reached via e-mail at dollom@hhandr.com. Please, do not hesitate to contact me.
I would also like to note that our building was constructed in the mid-1970’s, which makes it quite young (especially in comparison with the numerous 300 year-old buildings we are surrounded by). We did have a salon on our property up until a couple of years ago when Joseph’s Salon moved to a larger facility ten yards from our south exit. We also work very closely with Sage Spa Services to provide in-room massages to our guests. I appreciate the positive comments regarding our staff, service and location. It appears as if this guest’s experience was ruined by our fire alarms. 99% of our guests never hear them and if you come back, chances are very good you would not hear them again.
Salem, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2010

Stayed two nights here. The check-in/out staff were very friendly and helpful, the layout of the property for conferencing was good, and my room was clean, roomy, and had a nice view. But, the highlight of my stay was the evening at the Q Bar in the hotel. We hit it at Happy Hour, and not only the drinks but also appetizers were half price. The appetizers were amazing! I got the lamb chops (expected 1 or 2 on the plate, but there were 5), which were served over a nice bed of crunchy fried jicama strips. I also got the Mediterranean flatbread--I have never had a better tasting flat-bread or appetizer pizza anywhere, period! But, get this--the lamb chops are regularly $11.00 (a steal) and I think the flat bread was $9. Remember, though--this was Happy Hour, so both were half-price. I'm glad it was too cold to go walking somewhere to a restaurant that night, because the bar appetizers were nothing short of fantastic. An unbeatable deal!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Kent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2010

My husband and I stayed for two nights in August as part of a three week road trip. I can only echo the other rave reviews which this hotel quite rightly gets. It is absolutely beautiful and perfectly located for walking into Old Town. We had an Incredible online deal which included breakfast- and a bottle of champagne brought to our room! Breakfast was amazing- one morning I had eggs Benedict with a cheese sauce with green chilly- astonishing! We had a fabulous room facing Old Town and from our balcony could see a beautiful wedding ceremony below in the beautiful hotel grounds- quite magical!The most excellent thing about the hotel is in fact the staff- everyone we met, from reception onwards, were of the highest calibre- polite, efficient, professional and friendly- they really made you feel that you mattered to them and that nothing was too much trouble--a really personalised service which is amazing in such a large hotel. We cannot recommend this highly enough and would love to come back one day.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2010

Stayed at the Hotel Albuquerque during a work-related conference. The hotel has a very charming feel to it and authentically felt Southwestern. The rooms were ample size and the bed was very comfortable.

The service at the hotel is what stood out the most. Leo, our server was awesome!! He knew my name and the fact that I loved Diet Coke, so he kept them coming. He went above & beyond to serve our large group breakfast and lunch. The food was excellent! In fact, when we had the opportunity to dine out of the hotel, we chose to go back to the hotel restaurant because of the quality of food & service.

Only two con's----lack of vanity space and the free wireless is verrrry slooow. But, the service and comfort overshadowed these small items.

Thanks for a great experience!!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business