“Great for a stay in ABQ, but serious wifi problems”

Sheraton Albuquerque Airport Hotel
Ranked #32 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Sacramento, California
“Great for a stay in ABQ, but serious wifi problems”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I stayed here for 5 days with my partner: 2 for work and 3 for fun. It's the longest I've ever stayed at a hotel, but since the reviews here were far better than the other Sheraton in Albuquerque I chose this location. I'll get the bad news over with first. The wifi is spotty, slow, and expensive, a terrible combination. I would give this hotel 5 stars if not for the issues I had. I was placed in a corner room at the end of the hallway and the wifi ($21 for 2 days) rarely worked. There's no advantage to being in the corner, as there's no windows on the ends of the hotel and the room was the exact size and shape as a central room. I paid for wifi, but signal was weak and would disappear completely for hours at a time. I had scheduled a skype meeting upon my arrival at the hotel and was forced to cancel it half way through because of issues with the internet connection. The staff were initially resistant to switching my room, instead sending an "engineer" who admitted he was unfamiliar with their system and suggested I call their outside provider. I wasted a half an hour on the phone with them, spoke with a second engineer and had the front desk suggest I call their vendor, again. I eventually moved, after two days, to a room by the elevators and the wireless connection worked fine. The room was identical. When I checked out, I asked if they would pro rate or remove the cost for the first 2 days of wifi, since it didn't work. They offered to remove the fee, but when I saw the email with my final bill, the charge was still included. I emailed and received no response. So, that's the mess that was the internet situation. Otherwise, I really loved the hotel. My partner has a gluten allergy and the room service and restaurant staff were very patient and helpful in finding gluten free foods for her (and identifying items with hidden gluten, like the chile sauces). The green chile stew is really good, I highly recommend it. The lobby and bar were warm and welcoming. It actually felt more like a resort than an airport hotel. Very relaxing. It was never more than 15 minutes to anywhere I wanted to go and the view is gorgeous. The staff were generally very helpful, friendly and kind. They seemed unusually recalcitrant on the wifi issues, but I imagine they're rather sensitive since guests uniformity hate the fact that they're charged for a service most hotels provide for free. I travel to Starwood hotels frequently, and this is a consistent (and shortsighted) policy across the classic, older Sheratons, especially the conference and airport hotels that cater to business travelers. Tourist-oriented hotels, like Aloft and Westin offer it for free. So, overall, I had a good experience...but being charged a fee for service I didn't use, and being forced to spend hours of my vacation dealing with a wifi problem that could have been easily addressed has left a sour taste in my mouth.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank piegirl
Ivan A, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Albuquerque Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
piegirl,

I would like to apologize for your internet concerns during your stay. I would also like to thank you for recognizing the efforts of our associates to accommodate you with your internet concerns and your partner’s gluten allergy. I have to agree with you about the Rojo Grill’s green chili stew it may favorite menu offering. Thank you for your understanding regarding the internet and the overall delightful evaluation of our staff and services. We hope to see you back at the hotel soon.

Ivan Aguilar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Korean first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hotel was right at the airport. So close we could even walk. It was very modern, comfy, and clean. The price was a bit steep, but we needed to catch a 6am flight so it was worth it to be close by.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
55711Caroline,
The Sheraton Albuquerque Airports is literally right next to the Albuquerque International Sunport. If you don’t feel like walking we do provide complementary shuttle transportation to the terminal 24 hours. Thank you for your observation of our modern, comfy, and clean hotel. We appreciate your business and hope to see you back soon.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

This is our go-to location for early morning departures or late night arrivals.
Instead of getting up at 3:30 and then driving 39 mins to the airport, I stay here the night before, get up at a more reasonable time, and the use the walkway over to the airport.
My wife likes it now too since George the bartender made her an "awesome" Bloody Mary.

• Stayed May 2014
jedwardsdiamonds,

I’m pleased that our facilities and proximity to the Airport make your early morning or late night air travel easier. The Sheraton Albuquerque Airport is located just steps from the Airport which is very convenient to our guests. Thank you for your feedback and I will let George know that he has a new fan!

Jemez Springs, New Mexico
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hotel used to be pretty bare bones. After the renovations it is quiter in the rooms, and the restaurant is brighter with better food. I would stay here again. Great deal at the gov. rate Get a room high up in the hotel for a better sleep.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Ivan A, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Albuquerque Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Sumakmonkey,

I agree with you on your assessment of our renovation. The renovation is modern and well-planned to make better use of space and maximize comfort. I will pass on your kind words to our staff members and we look forward to your next stay with us.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed there for a night and were pleased with the customer service, the rooms, and the views. We were sitting in the club lounge for breakfast and got to see the balloons which was a bonus. The rooms are nice and cleans and the beds are comfortable. Will definitely consider it again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
P D,

We are glad to hear that you were pleased with our customer service, guestrooms, and views of Albuquerque. The upgrade to our Sheraton Club Lounge is only $25 which includes access for two guests. The view is spectacular and it’s very common to see a few hot air balloons in the early mornings. We appreciate your feedback and hope to see you back at the Sheraton Albuquerque Airport Hotel soon.

San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 25 May 2014

First, the hotel has recently been re-done. My room was great! The bed was great! The restaurant was really nice. The service, however, was ideal. From the first person I met until the last went the extra mile. They never failed to ask, "What else can I do?". After my experience with Budget Rental Car, I thought that customer service was gone forever. The Sheraton quickly changed that view for me. I arrived early and just wanted to leave my bags while the car was checked in. The desk told me that he thought that my room would be ready. The concierge (or service manager) told me that he would send a car to pick me up from the rental car place. And it just got better and better! I am impressed with the training that the staff receives -- everyone was there to help and to see that all is well. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
RoseSA,

I’m glad to hear that your experience at the Sheraton Albuquerque Airport Hotel “got better and better”. Our associates understand that traveling can be stressful and our intention is to eliminate some of those stresses. I will share your experience and service observations with our associates. We are also pleased to hear that you enjoyed the bedding package including: Sheraton’s signature duvet, 300+ thread count sheets, and both feather down and hypoallergenic pillows. This Sheraton Sweet Sleeper Bed does make for an awesome night’s rest. We look forward to your next stay with us!

Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed here 9 days to see family and friends. What a GREAT Hotel!!
Every employee from maintenance to the bartender were always upbeat and very accommodating.
Love the fruity water in the lobby.
The food is FANTASTIC in the restaurant.
Stay here if you are ever in Albuquerque...this is a top notch "spot on" Hotel!!!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
DorthyC,

Thank you for your “top notch” review of the Sheraton Albuquerque Airport Hotel’s amenities and “spot on” service. I will pass on to our staff your positive experience due to their upbeat and accommodating approach. I agree with your assessment of our Rojo Grill not only is the service great, but the food as well. We look forward to your next stay with us!