“Decent”

Ranked #55 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
midwest
“Decent”
Reviewed 11 April 2013

We had a very large room which was nice. Room and facility was clean but, not super clean. I would say this place was mediocre. When we checked in for some reason the housekeeping guy was hanging out with his cart outside our room smoking which was rather creepy and annoying as a I do not smoke. At first I thought maybe he had to clean another room but, as I came in and out for various things from the car and questions at the front desk I realized he had been out there almost an hour. By the way, this is the kind of Residence Inn where you enter your room from the outside. It was chilly during our stay and I realized I prefer the newer Residence Inns with the entrance on the inside as it got quite cold every time I had to go to the front desk or main area for anything. Staff at the front desk was hit or miss. Some were super customer service oriented. Some mediocre. Breakfast was mediocre and grounds were decent to walk my dog.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank midwest4

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Albuquerque, NM
Reviewed 19 March 2013

This property backs up to I-40 so it is ultra convenient to get to from all directions and about a mile from I-25. The staff is attentive and caring. The place is clean, the beds comfortable and serves good breakfasts, The lighting is a little on the dark side . My wife and I stayed there for 2 weeks with 2 cats while our house was being renovated. The suite was as large as we could find and was very functional. My wife thought the kitchen area was among the best of the 5 or so local properties she previewed before choosing this one.
The only big negative was the traffic hum. It was constant but after a while it faded into the background. There was a lackluster gym facility and

Room Tip: The upper floors have larger rooms
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CanyonCondor
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
Reviewed 19 March 2013 via mobile

We stopped overnight and were presently surprised by the spacious suite we were given. This would have been a great place to stay for an extended amount of time. The breakfast was served in a very pleasant room and is better than most we have experienced. The only drawback was the bathroom in this handicapped accessible suite had a very small counter with nowhere to put toiletries. We were given a first floor room. There is no elevator so would have had to carry everything up stairs if we had been on second floor. All in all, very clean, very nice place to stay.

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lindafraut
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 18 March 2013

My husband and I (and our two cats) spent two weeks at this Residence Inn (in a Penthouse suite) due to renovations to our home. Since we had time to plan this stay, we selected this hotel because this was the largest suite available, and one of the few rooms that had a full kitchen. The hotel staff was extremely accommodating, giving us access to the outdoor grill, and making sure we had all the kitchen equipment we needed. Special thanks to Connie, Randy, Chris, Justin, and Treva for being so welcoming and helpful. (I realize that most tourists probably won't want to do a lot of cooking, but this was an 'extended stay' for us.) The hotel is ideally located for easy access to both I-40 and I-25. Since we are residents of Albuquerque, staying at this hotel enabled us to experience a different part of the city! Runners or bicyclists should love this hotel as it is about 3/10ths of a mile from a host of trails. The daily breakfast was very nice, as were the Monday and Wednesday evening socials. The only 'con' that I can think of is the constant roar of the highway, and you can hardly blame the staff for that! As a side note, we loved that so many of the staff were Navajo!

Room Tip: Building 7 is one of the quieter ones. The Penthouse Suite gives you almost 1000 square feet on two...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Liz R
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 9 January 2013

I was so impressed with this Residence Inn. When you are a family of five, it's hard to find a room to fit you all, so we tend to stay in suite hotels.

The room was really updated, well decorated, granite countertops, comfortable and accommodating.

The outdoor pool and hot tub were both open in late December and the pool was heated. We enjoyed swimming in December in New Mexico!

The price is right if you are on the road or just visiting Albuquerque (which, by the way, was also much better than I expected).

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank coquiero
Orange, California
Reviewed 28 November 2012

The staff was very friendly, helpful, engaging, and accommodating throughout the stay. Breakfast was very good as well. Upon finding that our room with a kitchen didn't have an oven (tough to cook a small Thanksgiving dinner without an oven) -- they were kind enough to upgrade us to a slightly larger suite that did have an oven -- that's the good news. The bad news is that the property is tired (stained wallpaper, doors in rooms need painting, bathtubs were yellowed, etc.). The pool and spa were closed for the winter (would have been good to know when making the reservation vs. finding out at check-in), although we were able to use the pool/spa on a another Marriott property down the road. I'm also not a big fan of all of the rooms being "pet-friendly". If they want to allocate a few rooms for this purpose, that's great. But to know that the last person that used your room also had a big dog or two staying there kind of grossed me out. Probably explains a lot of the paint issues on the doors with dogs rubbing their noses/paws on the doors (not to mention what they might be rubbing on the carpets and/or the bedspreads!). Property is in an industrial area off of the freeway, and the area smelled heavily of gasoline when we first arrived (not sure why -- but to be fair, the smell did eventually dissipate). Other reviews mention issues with hearing guests walking around in rooms above -- my wife noticed this when we were in a downstairs room. The morning that we left, I awoke at 3:45 AM and took a shower (on the 3rd level of the structure) and immediately heard the phone ring -- the guests below had called the front desk with a noise complaint! It was just my wife and I walking around in our bare-feet and/or socks! Definitely won't stay there again -- will probably head to the Marriott Pyramid if we stay in a Marriott property in ABQ.

Room Tip: Stay in an upstairs room.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Tulsa
Reviewed 21 November 2012

Don't be fooled by the Marriott name at this hotel.
If you stay downstairs you will not rest until the person upstairs has stopped pacing. The ceiling is poorly constructed and you can hear every footstep magnified-torture.
I requested to move upstairs early the following morning and dealt with a very sullen and hostile clerk who put me upstairs on the parking lot down at an isolated end of the building. It sounded like a fight was picking up out in the parking lot later that evening and I took my things and left the hotel that night.
I had asked from the first day and when I had previously made the reservation to put me upstairs but even though I arrived on the first day early to check in the clerk didn't spend a moment to see if there was an upstairs room.
When I checked out the clerk was very abrupt and they really don't seem to care at all about customer service. Stay away from this location.

Room Tip: Don't go to this hotel that is my tip.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo