“First time at Hyatt Place brand; pretty good but some glitches”

Hyatt Place Albuquerque/Uptown
Ranked #20 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Madison, Wisconsin
“First time at Hyatt Place brand; pretty good but some glitches”
Reviewed 17 April 2013

I stayed at the Hyatt Place in Albuquerque uptown in April 2013 for a business meeting. The hotel is located across from a shopping district with a lot of restaurants. It is mostly walkable, although some of the roadways are quite wide and busy.

This was my first time at a Hyatt Place brand, and while the overall experience was good there were some glitches. The room was well appointed as a mini-suite with a sitting area, desk, mini-fridge and bed. Problems with the room included slow wi-fi, a small closet that was partially blocked by the vanity counter, a very tight fit between the door, shower and toilet in the bathroom, and no microwave.

For hotel services, the breakfast had a good variety but the seating area and the front lobby are combined into one. Even the front desk and a lunch counter are connected. I suppose this saves on space, but it feels a little odd to be eating breakfast literally right next to people who are checking out of the hotel.

I'm still giving this hotel a "Very Good" rating due to cleanliness, service and other items under local control. If I had to rate the brand, I'd give it only three stars because I think Hyatt is struggling to find a fit between a full service hotel and an extended stay hotel, and it just doesn't quite work right now.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank dotdty86
shehnaz49, General Manager at Hyatt Place Albuquerque/Uptown, responded to this review, 13 May 2013
Thank you for your comments. We appreciate your business and look forwrad to seeing you again when you are in Albuquerque.
Thanks
Shehnaz Mehta

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Lubbock, Texas, United States
Reviewed 10 April 2013 via mobile

I thought I would look at an alternative for a hotel close to my company's branch office and knew from experience that Hyatt Place Suites is nice. This hotel was just what I expected however be forewarned that if you have to cut your stay short (even if it is unexpected or unplanned) you will be charged an extra night's stay if you don't have a chance to let them know 24 hours in advance. There was no budging from the GM to reduce the price for that extra night either. She goes strictly by policy and doesn't take common sense into consideration. I had to leave 2 messages before she would even return my calls to discuss options. I filled out the review that Hyatt sends and all I got back was a form letter from the same GM saying she was sorry to hear about my situation but that she looks forward to my future stay! Never will I stay there again nor will I suggest that particular place!

• Stayed March 2013
shehnaz49, General Manager at Hyatt Place Albuquerque/Uptown, responded to this review, 15 April 2013
Ms. Ford:

Once again I am truly sorry for the inconvenience you experienced at our Hotel and I genuinely would like for you to give us another opportunity to serve you.

General Manaegr
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Part if route 66 trip,

Lovely new hotel, Very clean. Rooms included small suite with sofa and kitchen area. Large tv, wifi. parking, business suite, bar, pool, small gym. Good breakfast. Staff not particularly helpful and amazingly had no information or maps of Albuquerque and appeared, with one exception, to lack any real training in dealing with travellers' needs. Hotel within short distance of smart shopping centre,

Room Tip: Request high room, facing back, on right hand side for good view of mountains.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
shehnaz49, General Manager at Hyatt Place Albuquerque/Uptown, responded to this review, 26 March 2013
Thank you for your response. I am very sorry that the staff were unable to assist you with Directions or maps of the area. They have all been trained on this so I will reiterate to them the importance of having information on hand and exceeding guest expectations.

Hope you will come back and stay with us the next time you are in Albuquerque.

Las Cruces, New Mexico
Reviewed 21 March 2013 via mobile

Great location, attractive hotel, quiet, free breakfast. However, my room was dirty. The sofa in the room and some of the bed linens had stains. This hotel would be great if they did a better job cleaning the rooms.

• Stayed February 2013
shehnaz49, General Manager at Hyatt Place Albuquerque/Uptown, responded to this review, 25 March 2013
Thank you so much for your candid comments. Please understand that this was the exception rather than the rule and we hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you.

Area General Manager
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 7 March 2013

The internet service is so slow that I can not send emails or access any web based systems in a timely manner. The system also "drops" my computer for no apparent reason. Using the computer in the evening is almost useless. I was told it was because my room is a distance from their server. Seriously? The amenities are nice and the hotel is in a good location, staff are friendly and it is quiet at night. However, it is not a hotel for a person who needs to do work or wants to be on the internet.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back side of the hotel, close to the computer server.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
shehnaz49, General Manager at Hyatt Place Albuquerque/Uptown, responded to this review, 10 March 2013
I am truly sorry for the issues you experienced with the Internet I hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you. We do appreciate your business and would like to be your host hotel in Albuquerque.

Erie, Colorado
Reviewed 10 February 2013

This hotel, like other Hyatt Places, is a great value! The rooms are plush and the amenities are great. We especially like being able to get hot meals and cold beer there--plus there is a Trader Joe's & good restaurants nearby. The free breakfasts are exceptional, and the staff is uniformly friendly. It is an easy walk to the shuttles to the Balloon Fiesta.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your continued support of our Hotel. We are glad that you stay with us when visiting Albuquerque.

Amarillo, Texas
Reviewed 23 January 2013

WOW! What a beautiful place. Staff was great. Amenities were awesome. Food was delicious. My room was spotless, cleaned well everyday. Major kudos to the housekeeping staff and the department major. She did a phenomenal job. So a very special thank you to her for ensuring my room was cleaned correctly everyday even with my sometimes difficult schedule. I will return if life brings me back to the area.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank texasty1980
Thank you for your kind comments. We appreciate your feedback. Please come back and stay with us again.