“Updates in progress...”

Fairfield Inn Albuquerque University Area
Ranked #67 of 143 Hotels in Albuquerque
Reviewed 16 August 2012

The fairfield is just an average place to stay, but overall is clean and is a good value. My family and I were looking for an inexpensive place to stay one night and this fit the bill for us. The building is undergoing updates and remodeling. Our room had appeared to have already undergone the remodel. Besides the new furnishings in the room, which were very pleasant and eye catching-the attention to detail on the construction side was not so nice. I'm in the quality business and poor workmanship was obvious. So the room in my opinon still looked "worn." The standard bed is just that - standard. It is not roomy at all, and is a little stiff- nothing luxery about it. The T.V. in our room was old and worked only when it wanted to. I reported it to the front desk clerk at check out. This hotel has an awsome pool area- great for families & the continental breakfast, makes all the above mentioned things less bothersome. The parking area is large, and the bottom rooms have sliding doors out to the parking lot, if your quick enough to grab a parking spot near your room, its pretty conveinent. I would stay here again for a quick overnight stay. (Oh-P.S. The shower had awsome water pressure and the hot water never ran out!)

Room Tip: The standard beds are really small- If you have kids sharing beds or larger adults, you may want to...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank CabanaMomma1027

Reviewed 8 August 2012

Checked in at 10:47 PM, Aug. 4. We were told at front desk that they only had one room left. Gave us room #267. A/C unit screeched like a WWII air-raid siren. No window in room. Old (inoperative) window type A/C unit high on wall but of reach. We listened to this noise for about 1/2 hour and then my husband, who rarely complains about anything, went down to report this and we were given (easily) room #202. I guess they weren't sold out. Finally got to sleep when someone opened the door. Fortunately we had put the security latch on and it stopped them from opening door completely. Then they pounded on the door. My husband got up and yelled at them and they apologized as they had been assigned the same room that we were in. Next morning we went down for coffee and our room key had been deactivated. Wouldn't you think by now the front desk would have figured out what happened and been proactive with an apology or something? Or at least been aware of the situation? Terrible experience. Complained to front desk clerk upon check out. He reduced rate by $6.00 from $75.00 to $69.00 and said he would credit us with extra Marriott points. Not sure we would want to use the points and not sure we even got them. Clearly we would not stay ever again.

Room Tip: Don't accept room 267, even if they fix the A/C unit; there is no window but a narrow one way ab...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank MG H
Reviewed 3 August 2012

This Fairfield is just a tad dated, but still very nice. The rooms are spacious, though the bed is a bit stiff. Pool is wonderful, especially for families. The hot tub sits right next to a dray sauna which is a very nice touch. All are covered and in the same building as the exercise room. All-in-all, the fitness facilities are very enjoyable. Didn't have a chance to sample the breakfast, but it looked tasty. We would be happy to return.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michael J
Reviewed 2 August 2012

We checked in on 8/28, left 8/1/12, room 216 (2 doors from Elevator & ice machine on other side of elevator). The first night was a Saturday night, people & kids in the hallway talking/laughing very loudly until 11:30 PM. And then people were filling there coolers at the ice machine at 6:00 AM in the mornings. That also woke us up. Sunday morning, very tired, from no sleep, I told the front staff male employee. He told me, that people are on vacation & it's going to be noisy & loud on the weekends (it was noisy on the weekdays also). We were there for a funeral, & didn't want to be kept up all night/everynight.
They have very nice indoor & outdoor pools, the rooms are nice, but you can hear everything in the hallways. (pool towels run out fast & never get replenished until the next day.)
There was also a Bryan, a taller male, at the front desk, that was very friendly & helpful. They should have more like him.
As you are remodeling, maybe somehow, you can insulate the rooms better, and move the very noisy ice machine away from the rooms.
There was another room & the elevator between our room & the ice machine & you could hear it very loudly.
I reserved on line, It asks you if you want to be near the elevator, I did NOT check that we wanted to be near the elevator (I believe that's where all the talking was coming from, people waiting for the elevator), but ended up near one anyhow, so if you reserve on line, also call & tell them what you want & do not want. Bring Ear Plugs. Please put up signs, never elevator, & in hallways, to please use your quiet voice in hallways after 10:00 PM & maybe LOCK your ice machines between certain sleeping hours also.
We've stay at this hotel many many times, in the last 25 years, & never had this noise problem before. So maybe if you stay away from elevator & ice machine, you may have a nice stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2012

On our last night in NM, we stayed here so we'd have easy access to the airport. The location really worked for us as it gave easy access to the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center. It was easy to get back from the petroglyphs and Old Town as well. The room was spacious and clean and the staff was friendly and helpful. Really appreciated the breakfast as it included some options with protein which you don't always find. There was apparently a mariachi competition in Albuquerque while we were there and many of the bands stayed at this hotel. I know they were practicing but we didn't hear a thing and got a really solid night's sleep!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank alliswell252
Reviewed 11 July 2012

I almost never have a bad experience at any Marriott property, but this was the absolute worst. Upon check-in, I realized that I forgot my proof of discount form. I asked the very rude front desk agent, Jonathan, if I can print it out and he told me I had to go to another hotel to do so. I then asked if I could check my family of six in until I did (we'd been traveling all day from the East Coast) and he smugly said "no." After returning, I spoke with the GM who only said "we'll try to do better next time."

Trust me, there will be no next time!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Bruthabrier
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Tired old hotel with peeling paint and ugly linoleum bathroom floors. Renovation is in progress....not enough breakfast room space now. Great location, but don't stay there until the renovation is complete.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family