“Cheap but comfortable”

Ranked #11 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
El Cerrito, CA
“Cheap but comfortable”
Reviewed 22 February 2014

This is an inexpensive motel. Yes, the sofabed was a little worn, and there was nothing fancy here (shampoo and conditioner only, no hand cream, for instance), but it did include a hot breakfast (same every day) and the best pastries outside of our gourmet area -- apparently made by a French pasty chef. The management is Romanian and very accommodating, and the motel is a block from Old Town. We were on the first floor toward the back, away from the street, and it was generally quiet. Also, the window opened!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sewkap

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Booked a family mini vacation to Albuquerque and happened upon Econo Lodge Old Town while hotel searching online. It was listed as one with the closest distance to the zoo, aquarium, and botanic gardens, the purpose for our trip. After seeing it had 4.8 out of 5 stars and 45 glowing reviews I decided to take a chance on it. I was using my hotel points, so really I had nothing much to lose. Well, I'm so very glad I did! The hotel staff was nice and friendly. The room we were offered just had wood floors installed to replace the carpet. That totally surprised us. I definitely didn't expect to receive a room with brand new wood floors in one of the older hotels. After dinner we came back and took our kiddos to the pool. It was a nice sized, indoor heated pool, complete with hot tub as well. Perfect for both the kids and the adults. The next morning we decided to check out the "hot breakfast" that they offered. Hello!! There was a waffle station, biscuits, gravy, sausage, bacon, eggs, potatoes, fruit, yogurt, cereal, juices, coffee, and pastries!! We weren't even hungry for lunch until later in the afternoon! When we checked out the gentleman behind the desk apologized that because I was using my hotel points that he had no receipt to offer me. He asked if I would like to take home fresh fruit from the fruit basket, and said he had more bananas and such in the back if I'd like. I just can't say enough how friendly and attentive the staff was at this hotel. I've never felt genuinely appreciated for my hotel stay before. Albuquerque is only 4 short hours from our house, and I can promise anytime we come back from day trips we WILL be staying at this Econo Lodge in Old Town!!!!!

Room Tip: They are switching over to wood floors from carpet. If offered a wood floor, take it! The floors a...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

4 Thank Mary F
Eagle Nest, New Mexico
Reviewed 14 February 2014

This is the first time staying at this hotel. It is a very nice place to stay. It is a must if you want to visit old town. Leave your car at the motel and walk to old town. Parking in old town is very limited. The staff and breakfast is a plus for this econo lodge. I really appreciated the heavy weight plastic ware to use at breakfast.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank William T
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

I am a long haul trucker and this is one of the best hotels I have stayed in. They have a free shuttle that will take you to and from any of the truck dealerships in town if your truck has broken down. The prices are very reasonable and the rooms are clean. The staff are helpful and there's a free hot breakfast every morning. Old Town Albuquerque is within walking distance and you can peruse the shops and eat at several good restaurants. The Botanic Gardens, the Aquarium, and a Zoo, are also within walking distance. You can also rent a bicycle from the hotel if you want. I would highly recommend you stay here for business or pleasure

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Connoisseur1_11
San Diego, California
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Driving across country, we stopped for the night to see friends in Albuquerque. As far as Econo Lodge's go, this one was great. Very clean, updated items, easily accessible to old town and the freeway, and very courteous staff. Highly recommend this choice hotel!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Michele B
Ancaster
Reviewed 5 February 2014

This older motel is an excellent choice if you want to spend any time in Old Town . The rooms were large with fridge, coffee maker and microwave . You are within walking distance of Old Town as well as many restaurants, pharmacy and gas station .
The breakfast here was exceptional for a motel of this type , including eggs and sausage, waffle maker and the usual cereals and pastries .
The desk staff also could not have been more helpful. Would definitely stay here again .

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David H
Lawrence, Kansas
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We loved our stay at this place. The front desk staff was always friendly and helpful, they even called me ahead of my stay to confirm if I wanted a smoking room (I didn't- I had mistakenly reserved one!). Good breakfast, clean and well maintained rooms and even a modern computer and printer for guests to use in the lobby. We were minutes away from every site and restaurant that we wanted to visit. We will stay there again on our next visit to Albuquerque.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business