Historic Calumet Inn
Bilmar Inn & Suites(Dell Rapids)
US$86
  • Breakfast included
Quality Inn(Brandon)
US$80
US$77
US$100
HIExpress.com
Super 8 Brookings(Brookings)(Great Value!)
US$83
US$77
Econo Lodge(Luverne)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsghost storiesclaw footpipestone national monumentantique roomsworked finechain hotelsspent two nightsan older hotelparanormal activitybed was very comfortableloungerumorkeychainmnmicrowavekeysprairie
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I love the history of that place but some people say its haunted... Which I believe is true. Because I had an experience. Me, my uncle, and cousin went up to the third floor at room 309 and we didn't rent it out, the door was just open. So of course, we went inside to investigate. Before we went up there we asked the girl at the front counter if any of the rooms were rented out. She said no. Then we went up there. So when we got to 309 it was unlocked so we went in. It was a regular room with a fridge and a bed and bathroom and TV. Everything seemed normal. Until... we heard a noise in the closet. I ran out but my cousin and uncle stayed in and got locked in. None of us outside locked it. Actually, it was very cold in the room, and the heater was on! When we all got out we went downstairs to tell my family what had happened... When we got back upstairs to show them, it was locked, and we didn't lock it when we got out. We didn't close it all the way, nobody rented out rooms, it was only my family and friends there. Quite quiet inside other rooms because we took the tour. But when we went up there alone it was Crazy!

Another story is of my other cousin. He went up there to see if it was still locked that night and he tried to open the door and it shocked him! That is the first thing paranormal activity does to people. Then we went down the hall and he got shocked again! We all laughed and thought it was a consequence. But later when he was sleeping it shocked him again. We knew either a ghost did it or he rubs his feet on carpet too much. Honestly, he doesn't have any carpet at his house. Think about that.

This place was a cool experience, I would love to stay there again some time.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
CalumetInn, Owner at Historic Calumet Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2014

Thank you for your story! :-) Our hotel has anchored the historic downtown district since 1888, and has collected lots of interesting tales from employees and guests! :-) Friendly spirits, if any, give this building extra character. We hope to host you again someday!

Reviewed 15 March 2014

My husband and I used to live in Pipestone and I always wanted to stay in one of the antique rooms. I came into town March 12 for two nights at the Calumet. It was WONDERFUL! The friendliness and service was the best. I really appreciated the very clean room - especially the bathroom. I would recommend the Calumet to anyone. In fact, I think you should go out of your way to stay there! † jacque Schleifer

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Jacque S

Thank you for your lovely comments! We enjoyed hosting you and hearing all about your connection to the Calumet. :-) Our housekeepers take pride in keeping our rooms spotless, so we will relay the kind message to them! We hope to host you again soon!

Reviewed 21 February 2014

I had a day trip with yellow lab and got caught in a blizzard. Ended up booking a room at the Calumet because it was pet friendly. I was grateful to be off the road and in a safe place. My pet friendly room was on the third floor. I was told there was a space heater in my room because some valve broke on their heating unit.
Carpet in the hall was stained and disgusting. My room was clean. The bathroom was spotless. The windows in my room had air coming through and the curtains were blowing in the breeze.
My bed is broken down and squeaks. Worst part is no heat in the room. Space heaters make me nervous. I located the fire exit when I got to my room. I understand and appreciate old and historic. I also believe that if you have guests then things like heat and beds should meet a certain standard.
Very disappointed.

Stayed: February 2014
11  Thank Vicki N
CalumetInn, Owner at Historic Calumet Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2014

Hi, Vicki- We're happy you made it back safely with your dog! Thank you for your nice comments on our spotless bathrooms and cleanliness. :-) Our housekeepers take pride in keeping a clean hotel. You'll be glad to know that this morning, the new valve & motor arrived and our HEATING WORKS AWESOME again. :-) (Blizzards are no fun when boilers suddenly break!) We really wish we could have given you a better room (all our rooms are unique), but we had just a couple of pet-friendly rooms left by the time you arrived.

Our 2nd floor rooms and select ones on the 3rd and 4th floors are considered our "best rooms" for tourists. However, the other rooms (yours included), are reserved for our traveling construction worker guests. Those rooms get worn out very fast and it's a challenge to keep them in perfect condition year-round. :-) We will definitely check out that bed and re-seal that window (thank you for bringing that to our attention).

Again, like we told you yesterday, we're more than happy to offer you a complimentary stay next time you're in the area! Hopefully there's no blizzard next time! :-)

Thanks again for your honest review, and we hope to see you and your dog again someday!

Reviewed 30 January 2014

I stayed at The Historic Calumet for 3 months while I worked in Pipestone. I moved from a different hotel in town to the Calumet after a week because we enjoyed eating at the restaurant and hanging out afterward. The food was good and the atmosphere was even better. The hotel is family owned and the management and staff made us feel welcome and at home. Even after our job in Pipestone was concluded and the work moved to Sioux Falls, we chose to stay at The Calumet and drive the hour long commute, there and back. From travelling a lot, I know how rare and valuable it is to find a place that feels like a second home. I will miss staying here and I would definitely return!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Mark I
CalumetInn, Owner at Historic Calumet Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Mark! It was a complete joy to host you (and your boys). Glad you fell in love with our BBQ Ribs that you convinced us to create a "double order" button. Stay safe on the road and keep in touch! You all are welcome back "home" when you're in this area again. Cheers and thanks for everything! :-)

Reviewed 13 December 2013

I have stayed in many hotels all over the country, due to my line of work. The Historic Calumet Inn has been one of the best I have stayed at. I am always homesick but coming back to the Calumet after a long work day is a pleasure. The staff is what makes the hotel special. They go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable. They also help with special requestes that I cannot take care of during my work day,(ie. mailing documents, printing and faxing). Many hotels treat you as a tenant only but here you feel like family. From the front desk to the servers to the bartenders you always feel as though you are part of their family. For any companies that are looking for a place for their workers to stay, the Calumet offers excellent rates and outstanding service. It is like being at home when I am 600 miles from my home.
Matthew Reindl

Room Tip: Ask to see different rooms. Each one is different and offers something special.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Matthew R

Thank you, Matt, for your kind words! It was a joy to host you and your crew. We hope you felt like part of the Calumet family and expect to see you here again someday! You are always welcome back "home." :-) Good luck and enjoy the road!!