“Wonderful historic inn with so much character.”

Historic Calumet Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Pipestone B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We had a lovely time staying at this beautiful historic inn! It had so much character and was very clean. We requested a historic room but you could also choose a more modern room. The breakfast food was very good, especially the home made blueberry and strawberry jams. My husband said his flat iron steak at dinner was very good too. The bar had some lovely wines to choose from. ***The employees all try very hard to please you and want your stay/visit to be enjoyable. It was a wonderful, romantic get away and VERY AFFORDABLE to come back & visit often.

Room Tip: Decide if you want a historic style or more modern style room and request your choice when you make...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alicia J
CalumetInn, Owner at Historic Calumet Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Thank you for your review! We are delighted to know that we have exceeded your expectations. We hope to have the honor of serving you again in the future!

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Attended a wedding and needed to book a stay - found Calumet Inn online and decided to try them out - what a pleasant surprise - very accommodating staff - love the historic feel - food was excellent, would definitely recommend to others if you are in the area!

Room Tip: Ask for the jacuzzi room!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Ana B
CalumetInn, Owner at Historic Calumet Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Thank you for your feedback! We are delighted to know that we exceeded your expectations. Hopefully we will have the honor of serving you again in the future!

Reviewed 8 August 2014

I stayed at the hotel for three days to meet with work colleagues. Great, historic setting. Nice town with lots of old building, as well as the Pipestone National Monunment -- a site where Native Americans will go to quarry pipe stone, just down the road. Very cool that the recent owners are reviving this historic property. It's a work in process. Very helpful staff. I left crucial meeting notes behind by accident and the inn keeper took the time to mail them off to me, right in the midst of a very busy day with folks arriving for a every-other-year Civil War event.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank Matt K
CalumetInn, Owner at Historic Calumet Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Thank you for your feedback! Here at the Calumet Inn, we work hard to go above and beyond every customer's expectations, so we are pleased to hear that we succeeded for you. We hope to host you again soon!

Reviewed 7 August 2014

My friend and I stayed at the Calumet in August as a base for going to explore Pipestone National Monument. The historic building has character, and is made of the same stone as many of the buildings in town. There were some decorating touches that were out of step with the character of the building, but it still had a nice feel.

The room we rented had a kitchenette, with a stove top that worked nicely and a decent fridge, sink, and microwave. The AC didn't work very well, and I would have opened the window, but half the screen was missing. I reported the screen to the management and they said they would get it fixed. The bed was averagely comfortable.

The front desk staff was friendly and helpful. We ate dinner one night in the lounge, as that was the only area open to the public, and they were really understaffed. It was a Monday night and they were busier than expected, but being someone who works in a restaurant, I was really tempted to get up and help the overwhelmed, young and maybe inexperienced servers. I know it is hard to always staff accurately, but the staff just couldn't begin to keep up. They were gracious, though, about the service and food taking a long time and stayed friendly even though they were swamped.

I would definitely recommend staying here as a base to visit Pipestone National Monument. We walked on a nice summer day to the park and it took about twenty five minutes.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank MinneapolisKyle

Thank you for your feedback! At The Calumet Inn, we strive to exceed every customer's expectations, so we are delighted to hear that we succeeded in almost all areas for you. Monday nights are tricky to staff for, and sometimes, when we expect a slower night, it will feel like a busy Thursday night. We thank you again for your business, and hopefully we will have the honor of serving you again in the future!

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Although I travel frequently, I typically stick with larger regional and national chains. This trip however, I took a friends advice and decided to try the historic Calumet Inn. It was easily the best hotel
experience I've had in the last year, and probably top 5 ever.
There's no doubt this hotel is older, but its staff obviously takes pride in their work and in the building. Courteous is a word that gets tossed around loosely sometimes, and it would be an understatement for the folks here. I was honestly regretting that my business only had me here for one night. I will definitely be back the next time I find myself in sw mn

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Charley201
CalumetInn, Owner at Historic Calumet Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Thank you for the kind encouragement! We're happy to know that your business trip was so pleasant and memorable. We look forward to hosting you again next time you're in town!

Reviewed 30 July 2014

This hotel is basically the heart of Pipestone. If this can be revitilized, I believe the whole tourism industry can be revitalized.

The daughter of the owners ent above and beyond to make sure that we were accomodated in a room to our liking. She herself, helped to get a specific room in order for us....wow.....lucky parents to have a daughter like that! Service, service service!!! WOW!

That said, it's time to totally recedorate this place! Plastic flowers should go....tacky 70's decor in the rooms should go. Leave the beautiful bones of this place to shine through, go minimalistic, and this place could be a stunner!

I have heard that a certain TV show will be coming soon to help revitalize this place. I hope the owners listen to them. If so, as the owner of a travel company, I will be taking groups of people here in the future!

Room Tip: Try to get a room where the stone walls make up part of the room.....really helps to give you a sens...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JeanieJ

Thank you for your kind review! It was our pleasure to help you find the best room to meet your needs, and we're happy you had a positive and memorable experience with us! You're correct in saying that the Historic Calumet Inn is a cultural icon and strong symbol of Pipestone. It's been here since 1888, anchoring the downtown and welcoming guests to the midwest and frontier lands. We certainly agree with you on the 1970's decor of certain rooms, and we look forward to giving a fresh, simplistic look to the interior as we continue our makeover from room to room. We look forward to hosting you again someday!

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stayed here when we were in Pipestone Minnesota. The room was a victorian style and very clean. The bathroom had a claw foot tub and a pull chain toilet, very vintage. We ate in the restaurant the night we got there, the special was a Wildcard Burger. You didn't know what it was till you got it. My husband and son both ordered the burger and one was a Pesto Burger and the other was a Bloody Mary Burger. They said both were very good. The rest of us played it safe and ordered off the menu. Our food was very good also. If you like historic, this is the place for you.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review! We are happy that you enjoyed your clean room and period furniture. Our "Wild Card Burger" night is a popular tradition here at the Calumet, and it allows our kitchen talents to get their creative juices flowing! Safe travels back home and we hope to host you again someday!

Been to Historic Calumet Inn? Share your experiences!