“Semper Fi”

and up
Private Marine Corps Tour in Washington DC
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Triangle
More attraction details
Owner description: The National Museum of the Marine Corps is a lasting tribute to U.S. Marines--past, present, and future. Situated on a 135-acre site adjacent to Marine Corps Base Quantico, Virginia, and under the command of Marine Corps University, the Museum's soaring design evokes the image of the flag-raisers of Iwo Jima and beckons visitors to this 120,000-square-foot structure. World-class interactive exhibits using the most innovative technology surround visitors with irreplaceable artifacts and immerse them in the sights and sounds of Marines in action. Admission and parking are always free.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Excellent museum -- and free :)
Learn about the history of the Marine Corps and its involvement in US conflicts from the Revolutionary War to Viet Nam. There are displays designed to appeal to younger children, although I would not necessarily take very young children who might be frightened by weapons displays or photos from war. The beautiful central area has large aviation displays, and the gallery includes detailed panels, photos, paintings, historical timelines, and many actual items in display cases. The theatre shows an introductory film about the Marine Corps, and the display about Iwo Jima also has a short "military briefing" film and a video look at the landing at Iwo Jima. You could spend an hour here or all day, depending on your interest level and availability. The upper level has an observation deck, a cafe, and a "tavern." The grounds include a walkway with memorial pavers and a couple of statues. The museum also has a very nice gift shop. We recommend a stop to those with an interest in the Marines or in US history!

Reviewed 30 May 2014

This is the best presentation of Marine history anywhere. The museum covers everything from daily life to battle service to music. It is not a war museum. It IS a Marine museum.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We visited the museum on Memorial Day and I was happy to see so many families sharing this experience with the children. Being a "Marine brat" I was excited to see the museum. We didn't see everything on this visit but walked through all the "wars". My Dad was in Vietnam and it was interesting to see on a map where he had been. Also, a wonderful way to learn history, not just of the Marines but of the US also. I always say we never get past WW1 in US history classes and children are growing up not knowing anything past it. Take your children and camera (the pics of me in boot camp are a good laugh). Don't go expecting to see everything. There's the Memorial Walk too outside and the chapel, neither of which we were able to see, just ran out of time. The 9-11 display at the end had me in tears. The piece of he Pentagon and the Trade Center make it real.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Me and my husband were always curious about the unique building we always use to view from afar while visiting DC from Richmond. Many times we were tempted to visit this museum, but because it use to be a little out of the way the visit priority always use to shift to other places:P. Anyway, this memorial weekend was a good start for us and I'm so glad that we started our holiday weekend with this museum. If you are even a little curious about what our Marine force is all about, this place is worth a visit, but keep at least 4 hours in your buffer (we were their for 5 hours and still a few sections were left).

The museum covers each and every aspect of a Marine's life, be it their training or the drill instructors who are an integral part of both their training and their personal and professional development. Do try to check out the various videos that are played in the different exhibits (especially if you do not have a lot patience or time for reading). The video displays are very informative and covers some vital information about Marine's as well the wars they have been a part of. I just got bowled over by the realistic exhibits built in the main pavilion and inside the various War sections, like World War I and II. In my opinion the best exhibits have been the Vietnam war and Korean war. The Vietnam war one lets you experience what it feels like getting down from a helicopter and rescue the wounded. The Korean exhibit lets you experience the "brrrrrrrrrrring" cold conditions in which the soldiers were fighting the war. I was dumbfounded by the way even the dirt and mud looked so real on a soldier, we were even able to see the sweat dripping down from a soldiers body while they are loading a machine gun or getting their wounds treated by the medic o.o

Then of course there are exhibits which portray the war action and how the Marine force reacted in such situations. There are real conversations from the Marines who have been part of those wars, which provides you a better understanding about what must have occurred during that time. Another outstanding display in the museum are the war planes that are hanging from the ceilings of the museum in the main hall. The Iraq and Afghanistan war coverage is brief, but good. here are still so many things about the American history that I am not aware of and visiting such museums provides me a much better perspective of our country's history, such as what happened at Tarawa & Iwo Jima and how our troops defended us then and how they keep defending us and our freedom even now. Do visit, get to know our marines and support the troops.

1  Thank travelanza
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is a wonderful museum. We only had 90 minutes. Next year I will explore the areas I missed this year.