“Tasty surprise”

Cuisines: Hawaiian
Calgary, Canada
“Tasty surprise”
Reviewed 31 December 2013

The girls here make delicious food. If you like swimming and snorkeling at Manini beach and Kealakekua Bay Park, Kalama's is your bet for a quick and unpretentious yummy lunch in the neighbourhood. Come by 12:00 to catch first orders, otherwise waiting for your meal might gives you stomach ache....
They say shaved ice here is the best on the Kona coast. I can definitely say is one of the best. Passion fruit, guava is my favorite. Don't forget to ask for coconut sirop on top.
Amongst a full list of meals, Eric Mahi Burger stands out for quality and savour. You won't go wrong with this fresh mahi grilled burger that melts in your mouth. Bon appetit!!

• Visited December 2013

Menlo Park, California
“Owner use four letter words in front of my granddaughter”
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Five of us bought and paid for lunch that we ate it at this restaurant. Food was OK. Before we left my husband went to purchase two bottles of water to take with us. The owner was very rude, verbally abusive and aggressive. We had a six year old with us, so we left very quickly. This left us unwelcome to say the least on the Big Island.

3 Thank C M
San Francisco
“Uninteresting Food with Slow Service”
Reviewed 22 December 2013

People that work there seem like they would like to be somewhere else and are not really into helping visitors. Food is pretty basic, as are the amenities and setting. Maybe just a one-off, but a group of locals who ordered after we did got their food well before we did. We got the sense that they mostly catered to locals, and tourists were taken care of as a second priority.

• Visited December 2013
West Menlo Park, California
“non-locals not welcome”
Reviewed 22 December 2013

When I was ordering, I asked about the unusual mix of flavors in one of the items. I may have mispronounced a Hawaiian word. The guy got immediately agitated and asked if I was trying to insult him. Before I got a chance to answer, I was verbally abused including four letter words and being told I was a "stupid American". Most of what he said is not suitable for publication in TripAdvisor. I can only assume that any hospitality received by other 'Americans' who have submitted reviews was not at all genuine. I had heard there were people and places in Hawaii that resented being part of the USA and its people, but I had not encountered anything like this anywhere before, especially in a restaurant. I hope TripAdvisor people can now decide whether to spend money there or not, based on knowing how the guy really feels about those who are not native Hawaiian.

2 Thank Accurate2000
Little Rock, AR
“Love love love Kalamas!”
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Yes, we are repeat customers (visited Kalamas on our trip in Dec 2012) - and will repeat when we're here again. This trip we both had the Eric's Mahi Mahi burger. OMG! The fish is cooked delishously... melts in your mouth on a fresh bun. The french fries were also excellent (and 1 order more than enough for 2 to share). The staff were very nice & ready to describe their menu items. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!

1 Thank lovedoxies