Kane Plantation Guesthouse
Manago Hotel(Captain Cook)(Great Value!)
US$82
US$1,187
US$960
US$374
Kalaekilohana(Naalehu)
All reviewsattention to detailcookiesoutdoor showermy husband and ithe big islandmichael davidgranolafruitavocado treesfresh flowersour honeymoongracious hostscould not have been moreworking farmsweet treatspina coladabottle of wine
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Staying for one week in this meticulously cared for paradise of Kane Plantation presented me with unexpected personalised kindness and hospitality. I have never received such a warm welcome which felt more than a daily event and was given with a sense of genuine love of place and people and a generosity of spirit that is such a very rare find these days. From sumptuous breakfasts to the Ti wrapped sweet on my turned down bed at the end of every day, Kane Plantation service was endlessly exceptional. No stone was left unturned to ensure that my stay was relaxing and fun, healthy and interesting taking this special place to the top of my best holiday list. I feel there is so much more to see and learn about the history of this area and its natural beauty, about Herb Kane's works, and I am already planning my return. Truly, a most wonderful experience, Mahalo to the managers and staff for teaching me what real ALOHA is.

Stayed: December 2013
3  Thank Clare C
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We spent 2 wonderful nights in the Kane suite on the plantation. M&D are wonderful hosts and owners of this historic home.
The bed is one of the best we have ever slept in, I actually took a photo of the tag so I could purchase one when we get home. Their breakfasts are fresh, well thought out and relaxing in the patio. My wife enjoyed a relaxing afternoon massage from Nikki, give her a try.
I considered not sharing this great gem on the big island out of fear they would be booked up in the future(LOL). But it is the nicest room on the island...anywhere!

Room Tip: Snorkel at 2 steps, we swam with dolphins.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bob911
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Following decorated foreign service careers in far flung destinations owners Michael and David's Kane Plantation House is a Shangri-La of their own creation. They've combined the same meticulous attention to aesthetics and exacting details that Herb Kane - the painter whose imaginative and inspired works grace each suite, and previous owner of the property, brought to his work, with an impeccable yet discrete emphasis on service, the overall experience is one that lulls you into an exalted state of sublime and soulful bliss.

My wife and I enjoyed the Kane Suite for two nights on the tail end of our week long Hawai'ian escape with my parents, who occupied the Kanaloa Suite. Any anxieties we had about our selection as we followed the rugged road leading to the property quickly dissipated with the warm and personal welcome by Michael.

Perched amidst an orchard of fruit trees with expansive (sunset) views of the ocean to the west the soothing cadence of the property quickly engulfed us as did the delightful hand written notes with homemade chocolates and hot tea. Enhancing the ambience were the heavy rains during our stay which allowed us to fully immerse ourselves in our spacious suite. The Kana Suite includes a heavenly bed backed by an enclosed atrium with tropical plants and soothing water features, like a Geoffrey Bawa design lending the feeling of being 'outside' while enjoying the intimacy of indoor comforts.

We enjoyed the Netflix on-demand video, the TV thoughtfully positioned high so one could lie naturally on the bed and watch without agitating for more natural position, something we appreciated as we tried to squeeze in the highly addicting 'House of Cards' season during our stay. The in room Nespresso machine was wonderful to keep us just caffeinated enough that we didn't doze off given the sumptuous bed and sensual environs.

The last night I developed an ear blockage from snorkeling earlier in the day, Michael and David made available a full medical kit of possible solutions to lessen the discomfort. Then upon leaving we forgot overlooked a sentimental item, which we realized by the time we arrived at the airport, they have posted the item; they are unfailingly polite, employ highly professional service standards, and indefatigable in personalizing the experience, which included touring my father throughout the plantation, amidst the rains, sharing fascinating anecdotes about their foreign services experience while weaving in nostalgic anecdotes about the plantation.

Like many experiences that supersede the norms of conventional stays we didn't fully grasp how truly satisfying was the stay until leaving when we wistfully regretted not having spent the entire week at Kane Plantation Guesthouse - a true Hawai'ian Shangri-La.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mackay33
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We have spent six nights at the Kane Plantation B&B during our honeymoon trip.
Owned by David and Michael, it is definitely the best place we stayed during our trip in Hawai’i.
Everything was perfect : our suite (Kane suite) was beautiful, with a nice view (stunning sunsets), its own zen garden and many other details that have enabled us to enjoy and relax in this house where the spirit of the famous hawaiian artist Herb Kane is still alive.
Breakfasts are amazing as they are made with delicious local products, grown in the plantation or in the neighborhood and perfectly cooked by David.
David and Michael have spent a lot of time giving us advices and information about the places to visit, secret beaches and interesting tours.
Leaving this paradise to come back to "reality" was very hard and we cannot wait to return there again!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Steph_SB
Reviewed 22 October 2013

As with anything that exceeds all expectations, words alone could never do jusctice to the Kane Plantaion Guesthouse. One must experience it to truly believe the beauty, the serenity and the hospitality. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel so very welcomed and special. Our hosts attended to every need. The attention to evey detail was beyond our belief, and while I could mention the details, just happening upon them as we did was just part of the experience I would not want to ruin for future guests. The accommodations were beyond comfort, the gardens and orchards were immaculate and the views breathtaking. The breakfast easily rivaled that of a very fine restaurant, using primarily delicious items grown on the plantation or other local farms.. I am certain that you would not find any other guesthouse that could even come close to the quality of the Kane Plantation Guesthouse. Please look no further. There is not a doubt in our mind that we will return, however we will spend a week in the Kane Suite instead of 2 days!

Room Tip: The Kane Suite is so grand, higher priced resort rooms and suites in other areas of the island don't hold a candle to this luxury suite!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple