“Amazing!”

Dragonfly Ranch - Healing Arts Center
Ranked #3 of 6 Honaunau B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 June 2013

If you are looking for a more unconventional, down-to-earth place to stay on the big island, here it is! The Dragonfly Ranch is such a perfect place to relax (I laid down to rest for a few minutes before the sun even went down, and slept through most of the night! Oops...). We stayed in the Dragonfly Room, which was attached to the main house but still felt very private.

Are there bugs? Yes. Will they kill you? No. We found one (1) bug in our room, who quickly scurried away and we never saw again. I also shared the outdoor shower with a totally harmless spider. (But as far as I am concerned, that is the price you pay if you want to spend the night in a tree house. I was in their territory, and they were being quite hospitable...)

The owner Barbara is super nice and breakfast was healthy and delicious. I really appreciate all the thought that seems to have gone into making the common areas so warm and inviting.

I seriously considered rearranging our travel plans so we could spend more time here, but it turns out, I was just too organized and planned everything out too well, so changing plans would have turned out to be quite expensive. I would love to return some day and spend several nights at the Dragonfly Ranch!

Room Tip: I believe that we were in the room closest to the highway (Dragonfly Room). It wasn't a deal bre...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hugallama

Reviewed 22 April 2013

My husband and I stayed in the wonderful Honeymoon Suite at Dragonfly Ranch last Jan 2013, it was a wonderful experience to wake up with the song of the birds and an amazing view of the pacific ocean. We met and spent a bit of time with the visionary / owner Barbara Moore who was so warm and friendly, she allowed us to run a free workshop with very little notice while we stayed for all the guests.

Robin was also a fab host informing us on where the best snorkeling is, which was only a 5 min drive at "two step." There was always someone around to lend a hand or guide us in the right direction. We loved this experience so much we come back again in April and everything was just as before, great organic gluten free breakfast, friendly hosts, amazing gardens, magical chimes in the air and a smile on everyones face. Places like Dragonfly Ranch are very rare, I wish I could bottle the magical feel within my own space. Without a doubt this place will be forever in our heart.

Room Tip: Walk the Labyrinth, pick some greens from the garden, read a book in the hammock, snorkel and have a...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 April 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Dragonfly for 10 days 9 nights. In a world where technology overshadows the beauty of nature and the satisfaction of genuine human connections, this ranch is a respite, a chance to commune with nature and island culture. While we were there we met traveling artists, musicians, archeologists, boat captains, lava walkers, a magician and fellow adventurers from all over. The relaxed, "hang loose" atmosphere fostered a chance to share life stories, and interact with guests in a way that would never have happened in another setting.

You get a healthy breakfast every morning with a bold cup of Kona Coffee. If you're fortunate to stay long enough to enjoy dinner with the hosts, you will not be disappointed. The staff at the Dragonfly make this a special event. On our dinner we had fresh salad from their organic garden, delightful pan seared chicken or fish prepared with local ginger and citrus, and a hearty grain pilaf. Dessert was the most astonishing, vegan, chocolate-lovers delight. This mousse was prepared with raw cocoa and avocados, and island staple.

If you go, expect your accommodations to be indoors & outdoors. What does that mean? The flowers and plants on the Kona side of Hawaii are breathtaking. The island breeze blows through the screens to your room, and you smell the ocean. You are in the jungle. There are bugs. And singing frogs! Which my wife loved to hear as she fell asleep each night.

If you're a planet conscious person you have reached a retreat with likeminded individuals. The food is sourced locally and is always fresh. Many of the staff are vegetarian or vegan, so if this appeals to you, you can expect to never go hungry. However, the retreat accommodates omnivores comfortably as well.

We were within minutes to a great New York style pizza joint in Captain Cook. We were also within minutes of some of the best snorkeling, dolphin viewing, and black sand beaches that grace the big island.

Room Tip: The dragonfly has rooms within most budgets. Call them directly for the best rates to avoid mark up...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank FranklinDeWar
Reviewed 23 March 2013

I have to make my self clear I stay in all kinds of places around the islands and around the world. I have never seen a place that charged 250 per night have roaches the size of quarters and golf balls crawling on the bed you re suppose to sleep in while you are sitting on it SERIOUSLY. These People should be ashamed to take anyone's money to stay there unless they send pictures of the size of the bugs you share the bed with to you first. Thank God I sat up working with the lights on and saw what was happening around me when I looked up from my computer, they were every where including the bed all sizes from quarters to golf ball running on the counters the floors and curtains as well I am now sleeping in my car can't afford to pay to stay any where else, after giving250 for the roach hotel now understand that this was after we got bitten a lot because they have not repaired rips in the screens around the bed. Then we kept seeing ants all o er again including the bed. The little green lizard was cool but also to be found where you guessed it in the bed . Now this was in what they call the honey moon suite, you can tell this used to be a neat and awesome place to stay but now they have let it go to the bugs literally

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank 1ladybutterfly
DragonflyRanchLady, Owner at Dragonfly Ranch - Healing Arts Center, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2013

At the Dragonfly, we do everything we can to avoid having guests who are unhappy with their experience. We discourage bug phobic people to stay here. At the same time, we want to use all natural means to not have bugs bug people. After this couple left, we found that, due to the shifting earth, the screen behind the bed opened up a crack. It has now of course been repaired.

When I inquired about this couple’s night, only one half of the couple was willing to speak to me—the gentleman who said he loved his peaceful night alone in the Honeymoon Suite but that his girlfriend slept in the car. I wanted to do what I could to make amends for her uncomfortable night but, while he was packing up to leave and letting me know of his relaxing night alone in the suite, she would not talk to me as she was angrily waiting in the car, yelling at him that she was ready to go and did not like having to wait for him. He took this experience good-naturedly and told me they were headed to Hilo where he knew there were…more bugs.

If I could, I would have asked our guest if she read our literature called “A Marriott We Are Not” where I say “It’s a jungle out there” and in the jungle, there are bugs. Since she was busy working late at night on her laptop with the lights on, with the break in the screen, jungle critters were unfortunately attracted to the light, where she was working.

Had I an opportunity to offer this unhappy lady a refund, I would have done so. At the Dragonfly, we normally have only happy people stay. It is our policy to never have a guest leave feeling they did not get their money’s worth. In this case, only one half felt it was worth the money. Sadly, I think that may have been another thing that unfortunately “bugged” our unhappy guest.

Reviewed 14 March 2013

Unless the room names were changed the Dolphin room does not have a view of the ocean. It does have a view of the painted schoolbus (with Lady Dragonfly on the side) and a laundry line with people's underwear and socks hanging jsut in front of our parking space. The bed was uncomfortable, there were flies on the food which was left out, there was no bathroom in our room and no one offered to help us with our luggage. It would have ruined our vacation but we left before staying for even one night.

Room Tip: Don't bother unless you want to stay in a 70's hippie haven.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Niram
Reviewed 24 September 2012

While my husband and I really enjoyed our three-night stay at the Dragonfly, this unique B&B is not for the traditional traveler. If you require a pool/hot tub, an in-room phone and television, an on-site restaurant with room service, ac/heat/ceiling fan, locking doors and walls with windows that have curtains--don't come here. On the other hand, if you enjoy eco-lodge-style, back-to-nature accommodations or are into the healing arts, yoga, labyrinths, organic foods, etc., this is the place for you. Barbara Moore, owner and hostess of the ranch, is a warm, kindhearted soul who takes a real interest in your well-being and is a great source of area information. She provided us with alkaline-ionized water we could use in our room for drinking or cleansing, as well as snorkeling gear for our trips to the shore. Besides Barbara and her staff, a small dog and several Siamese cats make the ranch their home and have free run of the place.

We stayed in the Honeymoon "Royally Sweet" Suite, the largest and most private of the rooms available. Our suite was separate from the main building, located on a hillside and surrounded by lush jungle growth. It had two bedrooms, one with a fairly traditional set up. The bedroom we chose to use had no walls--just screens and a sliding screen door. Our very comfortable king-size poster bed had a mirrored ceiling and drapes that could be drawn for more privacy or warmth. The vanity/toilet was enclosed on three sides but had a screened wall where the sink was located. The shower (enclosed by a traditional curtain on a round rod) and tub were both outdoors. In front of our room was a large, private wooden deck with chairs and table. At night the only sounds we heard were the chirping frogs (at least that is what we think it was), which took a bit of getting used to. (I am a light sleeper and resorted to ear plugs the last two nights.) Other than a few ants, we had no trouble with insects in our room.

The suite has an electric hot pot for heating water, a French coffee press and a coffee bean grinder, a toaster oven and a small refrigerator. Each morning we went over to the main house for breakfast, which always included a wonderful variety of fresh fruits, some sort of cooked grain (quinoa, oatmeal, millet), whole-grain toast, eggs (if requested), and coffee or tea. I loved the wide selection of condiments--there were all kinds of natural/organic toppings for your cereal and toast. On our first night, we opted to dine with Barbara and her staff (several of whom are vegetarians) and the ranch's other guests, two very interesting and well-traveled women from Norway. We enjoyed a dinner of opa (a delectable Hawaiian fish with mild white flesh), quinoa, a variety of greens and vegetables from the ranch's on-site organic garden, homemade banana pie and store-bought but yummy coconut milk ice cream. The dining area was under a canopy but otherwise open to the elements and provided a panoramic view of the tropical foliage and not-too-distant coastline. The plastic tablecloth could have used a good cleaning and there were small "sugar" ants roaming the table that we had to keep away from our plates, but otherwise our meals here were a pleasure.

Located south of Captain Cook, the ranch is very near Pu'uhonua O Honaunau National Historic Park (the "Place of Refuge") and Kealakekua Underwater Sea Life Preserve, both excellent snorkeling sites. We saw a few sea turtles at the park but no spinner dolphins as we had hoped (got there too late in the morning, I guess). The lovely St. Benedict's "Painted Church" is just around the corner from the Dragonfly. There are several small communities with shops/cafes and a number of coffee farms between the Dragonfly and Kailua-Kona, about 30 miles north. In addition, the ranch is only 60 or so miles from Volcanoes National Park.

The website for the Dragonfly is very informative and honest in its depiction of what you will find there. Take the time to check it out to be sure this is the kind of accommodation you want. If it appeals to you, I promise you will not be disappointed with your stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank kgidhig
Reviewed 13 September 2012 via mobile

We booked two nights at the dragonfly ranch. We stayed in the dolphin room. To our surprise, the bathroom was outdoors among some mosquitoes. While using the bathroom I was bitten numerous times and consequently feared contracting dengue fever. The staff is friendly but the quarters are too close. We went to bed at 8 pm and heard people rambling throughout the night. There is no AC! All the windows have to be open. Worst of all no locks on the doors so your choosing between locking your valuables in the car or risking leaving them in an unlocked room. Unless your really against hotels I wouldn't stay here. It was really far from food and services but close to a wonderful snorkel spot.

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank Jeskot7
Also consider these accommodations in or near Honaunau
Manago Hotel
Royal Kona Resort
Royal Kona Resort
#9 of 14 in Kailua-Kona
Mermaid Dreams Bed and Breakfast

Been to Dragonfly Ranch - Healing Arts Center? Share your experiences!