“Absolutely Wonderful!!”

Ranked #3 of 6 Honaunau B&B and Inns
Corvallis, Oregon
“Absolutely Wonderful!!”
Reviewed 17 June 2008

What a wonderful place to stay! I went on a vacation with 4 other people and we stayed at the Dragonfly Ranch - the separate cottage a mile or two away from the main Dragonfly site.

It fit us very comfortably. A spacious and open home with great amenities and lots of natural light. The back deck was so peaceful! It was a wonderful spot to have a morning breakfast with the Geckos and the sweet neighborhood dog Maniko, or a late evening dinner and watch the sun set into the ocean. Absolutely breathtaking. A huge back yard, comfy beds... really... I can't say enough. Barbara was wonderful and the house was perfect for our needs. Looking forward to going back!!

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — the front of the property is a little close to the road, but you end up spending all your time in house or back deck anyway, so not that big of a deal.
  • Stayed February 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Federal Way, WA
Reviewed 8 June 2008

I went for a relaxing week, and was welcomed so warmly by the owner, Barbara Moore. There was a breakfast that was healthy and beautiful, and the property is amazing. The owner and staff made sure that I didn't miss any opportunity for relaxation and healing. It was a very memorable stay.

• Liked — The healing aspect of the stay.
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled solo
1 Thank Barbbly
Asheville, NC
Reviewed 1 June 2008

Barbara and her staff are warm, generous hosts, sharing all the insider information of what to do and where to go on the Big Island. Barbara takes guests on excursions to the best snorkeling, with opportunities to watch the dolphins. Whether you view them by land or swim near them in the ocean, it is a magical experience.

I especially liked the health-oriented atmosphere, complete with far infra-red sauna! The whole-foods, vegetarian-friendly cuisine was fabulous!

• Liked — Beautiful Setting, Awesome Staff and Healthy Food
  • Stayed September 2005, travelled solo
ohio
Reviewed 27 May 2008

Just a wonderful magical experience. Wonderful people working and staying there. Very helpful, willing to assist in anyway possible. I believe one of the very best spots on the island. If you like dolphins, snorkling, and the city of refuge(which has a very nice park behind the main area) I will be back! Thanks so much, Jon

• Stayed April 2008, travelled solo
Chicago
Reviewed 18 April 2008

We didn't know quite what to expect at the Dragonfly, but we were incredibly happy with what we found! The treehouse is beautiful and incredibly relaxing; our room was spacious, homey and clean; the breakfasts were healthy and delicious; and the Innkeeper, Barbara, and her staff were incredibly friendly and gave us excellent suggestions of where to go and what to do. Moreover, the location of the Dragonfly is incredible - it has the unusual distinction of being both isolated and convenient. At Barbara's urging we went snorkeling nearby and as promised, we got to swim with dolphins. It was incredible! True to form, I left my bathing suit at the Dragonfly and they were nice enough to mail it to me in Chicago. I would reccommend the Dragonfly to anyone who is interested in a non-traditional but wonderful experience on the Big Island.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tigerfries
Zurich
Reviewed 28 February 2008

We landed in big island, Hawaii, on december 12 and wanted to spend the first few days in a quiet and peaceful place. Great people, great breakfast (all organic), great surrounding!

We booked a week in the dragonfly ranch and we could not have made a better choice! What a warm and hearty welcom we experienced in that place.

It is the most creative place - all the rooms are different and include nature in a harmonious way. The large propery offers may possibilities to be outdoors and find quiet places to read or spend time on the large open deck above the mainhouse.

Barbara and her team took us in in a very warm way and we got a real impression of a true "Aloha-spirit". I especially enjoyed the chats with them and the other guestsin the evening.

After our trip to the Westside of the island we returned for christmas - and it felt like coming home. It was the best place to celebrate christmas!

I like the place so much that I wanted to close my trip after 3 weeks in maui and returned for the last 4 days. And for my goodbye I was "crowned" with a freshly selfmade garland!

From all the places I had been I liked the dragon fly most! Thank you for all!!!!

• Liked — peoe and surrounding
  • Disliked — creativity of place
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with friends
2 Thank Hausen
Aptos, CA
Reviewed 4 February 2008

My wife, 5 year-old son and I stayed at the Dragonfly Ranch for a week. Our first trip to the Big Island. We are from California. We stayed several nights in the Lomilomi Suite and several nights in The Dragonfly Room. We loved this place!!!!! But before booking, please read in detail their web site www.dragonflyranch.com which gives a very accurate description of what it is like to stay here, including the section "Is Dragonfly right for you?" at www.dragonflyranch.com/dragonflyrightforyou.html.

This is not a "resort" and not a typical B&B. You don't have TV, which is a good thing, trust me (but you do have free wireless!) There is no mini bar or morning papers outside your door. There is no pool or tennis courts (who needs a pool in Hawaii?).

In writing this review I thought it best to describe a typical day at the Dragonfly Ranch.

We are a awoken in the morning with the sound of birds outside our screened windows. Lots of birds. As we lay in bed and look outside we see tropical vegetation, enjoy warm breezes and feel completely isolated and far from any modern age distractions (in a good way). In some ways, we feel like we are in Belize or Panama yet we remind ourselves we are in the USA (and have free wireless!). I wake up, walk outside onto our private patio (The Dragonfly Room) and enjoy a hot, outside shower - totally private except for the tropical vegetation surrounding me and a cute cat that greets me every morning. I then leave our room to eat breakfast in the public Dragonfly Ranch kitchen with other guests. I enjoy interacting with the other guests because I learn about great things to do locally. And they are interesting, laid back, well educated and well traveled people - the kind that like the Dragonfly Ranch. I also appreciate the wonderful food the Dragonfly Ranch staff prepares. Very healthy!!! The staff is also super friendly and helpful. However, my wife and 5 year old enjoy the privacy of the room and since we have a fridge in our room they can just as easily stay in the room and eat breakfast. I bring them coffee - fresh Kona coffee :-)

After breakfast, we grab some snorkeling gear from the Ranch (minimal fee) and drive a few miles down the road to one of the most spectacular snorkeling beaches anywhere. Many guests tell me they swim with the Dolphins at the same beach (early in the morning - which we do a few days later). Nearby there is a wonderful sand beach (with beachside snack shop) that our son enjoys. We meet some nice locals at the beach. Our son even spots a sea turtle.

We return to the Dragonfly Ranch in late afternoon and take a hike around the grounds, including a relaxing walk around the labyrinth. We sit out on the public deck (I'm in the hammock) where we listen to the soothing wind chimes and enjoy a fabulous Ocean and valley view, seeing no other development which makes us feel we are in the middle of nowhere. At dinner, we decide to cook our own meal in the Dragonfly Ranch kitchen and enjoy a wonderful "social hour" with the other guests and staff. It's very relaxing and enjoyable. However, other nights we drive up the road to eat out at some excellent restaurants. We then retire to our room (which was cleaned during the day), play some games with our son, have a glass of wine and go to bed. Tomorrow we drive to the Volcano.

We could afford to stay anywhere on the Big Island but we'll no doubt return to the Dragonfly Ranch our next trip to Hawaii. This place is a bargain for what you get.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank MrDineOut
Also consider these accommodations in or near Honaunau
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona
Manago Hotel
#1 of 1 in Captain Cook
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii

Been to Dragonfly Ranch - Healing Arts Center? Share your experiences!