“Magical place”

Dragonfly Ranch - Healing Arts Center
Ranked #3 of 6 Honaunau B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We came here for our honeymoon vacation. We wanted somewhere cheap and nice and after extensive internet searches, decided on this place. So glad we did our homework. This is an undiscovered gem.

The place feels like a quirky treehouse with many beautiful details. E.g., our room has a suspended hammock chair with wind chimes -- when you sit in it, your gentle rocking creates a delightful chime. There are dragonfly motifs everywhere: a door latch on one of the rooms, screen door handles, metallic sculpture, etc., and the place is filled with art: paintings, Quan Yin statues, stained glass... You can tell the owner had built it piece by piece with love and her unique taste.

The staff are all very friendly and helpful. The buffet breakfast spread is wonderful: freshly cut dragon fruit, papaya, pineapple, lychee, passion fruit, freshly baked bread with all kinds of exotic tropical fruit jams, and nut butters, muesli or quinoa with all kinds of nuts and seeds: walnuts, flax seeds, sunflower seeds, pecan, almonds, chia, etc., great coffee, and hemp milk or rice dream. I totally pigged out.

From here, it is a short drive to Honaunau Bay and Kealakekua Bay. These are the two Bays where dolphins are frequently sighted. They come to the calm waters of these bays in the early morning to rest. You should not disturb them during this time. But if they are around in the afternoon, they become playful.

The owner told us they do weddings there. What a lovely idea. The large yoga hall can easily sit 100 guests. The whole place could probably host 10-20 overnight guests depending on the sleeping arrangement (our room has 2 king beds and 1 queen bed, so could just as easily fit 6 couples).

Room Tip: We had the wrtier's studio, which is huge. There is a large window in front of our bed so we wak...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ch0ngkee
There are newer reviews for Dragonfly Ranch - Healing Arts Center

Reviewed 19 July 2014

I just came back from a 4-night stay at the Dragonfly and it was spectacular. The location is easy to find, just south of Kona and Captain Cook. 5 minutes from a beach (rocky coral) with epic snorkeling and a bay that's frequented by dolphins - on my last day I had a chance to swim with the dolphins, absolutely breathtaking! About 75 miles south to Volcanoes National Park. Spent two days driving over to the Hilo side, but wished I had stayed on the Kona side a bit more to enjoy the sun and spend less time in the car.
The Dragonfly Ranch provided comfortable accommodations with a pleasant outdoor shower and a huge bottle of drinking water infused with flower essences that induces happiness (who wouldn't want that?! The grounds are a tropical rainforest with birds singing in the morning and frogs at night, beautiful Hawaiian plants, and touches or artwork throughout. I loved walking the labyrinth and practicing yoga in the illuminarium with a view of the top of the jungle canopy out to the ocean.
Fresh baked bread, local fruits, oatmeal, coffee and tea are provided for breakfast by one of the friendly staff. All of the staff and guests are like new friends as soon as you arrive. Very warm community of good people.
Although the rooms did not have locks, my valuables were safe and untouched when I was out on my day adventures and the room was freshened-up by staff. I felt very at home at the Dragonfly and would definitely stay there anytime I am on the big island and recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Go to the website and call the Dragonfly directly if you need guidance in your choices, everyone the...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 February 2014

My daughter and I stayed at the Dragonfly for 5 blissful days in October, and I couldn't have picked a better spot for my first visit to Hawaii. We chose the Dolphin room specifically for the outdoor bathroom and we loved it. There's nothing like showering outside in the morning, smelling the coastal air and listening to all the birds and insects doing their morning thing while you shampoo :)

We caught the place on a slow week, and for a few nights we were the only guests, which was fun as we felt like we had the whole place to ourselves. Joe was unfailingly kind to us and had a great breakfast of Kona coffee, homemade organic bread, and fresh Hawaii fruit waiting for us every morning when we would return from an early snorkel. He also gave me leeway with my coffee addiction to help myself to making coffee if i was ready for it before he hit the kitchen in the morning :)

My daughter adored the luminarium area, and did her yoga and hoop dance up there every morning after breakfast while I drank more fabulous Kona coffee.
Such a laid back, friendly place!

One evening there was a teensy little Coquí Frog on my toothbrush. Cutest thing ever. Speaking of the Coquí Frogs, my daughter told me they were loud, but the first night I literally lay in bed laughing because I couldn't believe how loud they actually are. I thought, how will I sleep? But I did. And the next night, I found the sound kind of soothing (still loud, though). By night three, I was liking the sound and liked falling asleep to it.

There are gorgeous geckos all around.

If you are a person who can't be happy without all the 5 star comforts, this lodging won't be for you... it is "tropical rustic" -it's pretty dark on the property at night (I used my iPhone as a flashlight to get around), and yes, there are some interesting insects... we never did have an issue with any bugs in our room, but when I was showering outside at night one evening, a very, very large flying red cockroach of some sort flew into my hair. I about had a stroke, flailing about and generally losing my mind. Once my daughter stopped cracking up, (she'd been living in Hawaii for a year at the time) she plucked it out of my hair and sent it flying off.

This was not a big deal because I knew two things going in, one -that I would probably encounter a large bug and act like a big baby about it (I know myself ;) ), and two -the bug wouldn't hurt me and I wanted that outdoor shower!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank misty_bee_Wyo
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Staying at the Dragonfly Ranch was a lovely experience at a wonderful, quiet and relaxed place. The rooms are decorated with love and phantasy, each with its very unique atmosphere. There was a lovely warm-hearted team that takes care of the guests, giving any possible kind of support with love and good humour. Breakfast had been a wide choice of organic food including homemade bread and sometimes cake. Best snorkelspots are reachible in 5 to 15 minutes by car, other places of interest, beaches and good restaurants in about 30 minutes. There is a yogaplace on top of the property where we had a phantastic view at the very famous hawaiian sunsets. We loved our time there and will come back for sure! People who are a bit nervous with nature and its creatures may have a wonderful opportunity to overcome that fear (Barbara the owner will be happy to give support with for some example flower remedies) or better look for a nature-safe place ;-))

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Maria L
Reviewed 2 October 2013

My husband chose this place on-line because it had been recommended as a good place for bird-watchers. We have been staying at B&B's for 26 years and I have to say that this was the first time I ever had a negative experience.There are treacherous, uneven stone stairs which get narrower as you go up, and no hand rail. Also there was no light on these stairs at night. The room we stayed in was shabby, with no sense of decor. When I pulled back the comforter to get into bed, there was a brown stain on the underside of the comforter. The toilet was in a closet which made an airplane toilet feel roomy.The king-size bed, however, was very comfortable, as were the pillows. There was an older-style jet-tub in the large square room, which had curtains to pull around it. All night we were serenaded by frogs and insects, which was very pleasant. On our second night, however, my husband did have to silence the wind chimes. There was no TV in the room. Breakfast was fresh fruit of many local varieties, and cereal/oatmeal. When I asked for some sugar for my cereal, our hostess, Barb, seemed unable/unwilling to find any and said, "Aren't raisins enough?" So much for the spirit of hospitality.The coffee was local and delicious. We were given directions to the best spot for snorkelling (very nice) and were able to borrow equipment, which was appreciated. This was the most expensive of the three B&B's we stayed in on Hawaii, and was not up to standard. We did not get what we paid for.

Room Tip: We didn't see any other rooms, so can't advise.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mary-Lou H
Reviewed 14 July 2013

What a comfortable, relaxing place, just up the road from the sacred site of Honaunau. A perfect place for a healing retreat.

Just an advisory-- the Dolphin room is separated from the main living area by just a paper thin wall, and all sounds and even quiet talking resonate right through. The other rooms are quieter. They have a 9pm quiet policy for this reason-- but if you think you would want quiet during the day, choose a different room.

Also, there is a pond right next door, and mosquitoes are aggressive here-- and with the bathrooms outside, it can be annoying. Natural bug repellent is provided, as well as mosquito coils, if you ask.

Room Tip: Avoid the dolphin room if you want to be somewhere relatively quiet during the day.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 June 2013

If you are looking for a more unconventional, down-to-earth place to stay on the big island, here it is! The Dragonfly Ranch is such a perfect place to relax (I laid down to rest for a few minutes before the sun even went down, and slept through most of the night! Oops...). We stayed in the Dragonfly Room, which was attached to the main house but still felt very private.

Are there bugs? Yes. Will they kill you? No. We found one (1) bug in our room, who quickly scurried away and we never saw again. I also shared the outdoor shower with a totally harmless spider. (But as far as I am concerned, that is the price you pay if you want to spend the night in a tree house. I was in their territory, and they were being quite hospitable...)

The owner Barbara is super nice and breakfast was healthy and delicious. I really appreciate all the thought that seems to have gone into making the common areas so warm and inviting.

I seriously considered rearranging our travel plans so we could spend more time here, but it turns out, I was just too organized and planned everything out too well, so changing plans would have turned out to be quite expensive. I would love to return some day and spend several nights at the Dragonfly Ranch!

Room Tip: I believe that we were in the room closest to the highway (Dragonfly Room). It wasn't a deal bre...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hugallama
Also consider these accommodations in or near Honaunau
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Manago Hotel
Manago Hotel
#1 of 1 in Captain Cook
Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows

Been to Dragonfly Ranch - Healing Arts Center? Share your experiences!